ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

All weather coat is rubbish........

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Coatsy79
Posts: 7
Joined: 24 Mar 2011, 20:11
Gender: Male

All weather coat is rubbish........

Post by Coatsy79 »

.......and why aren't we issued with a proper 3 in 1 insulated winter coat!

Rained all day Monday I was soaked through to my skin within 20 minutes our "all weather coat" is the worst thing I've ever worn

Also how come we don't get a proper insulated jacket for winter! We're out in all weathers minus temperatures in some parts of the year and yet we have a lightweight fleece and a barely waterproof poly lined coat that's supposed to keep us warm in winter

Honestly my £25 regatta jacket is more waterproof than the Royal Mail rubbish!

Rant over, thoughts guys?
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: All weather coat is rubbish........

Post by Surreypostie »

Apparently, it was all tested prior to issue and people loved it. It all honesty, it was probably people working indoors, no disrespect to them, who tested it.
dtyssmshdchrb
Posts: 51
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 14:55
Gender: Male

Re: All weather coat is rubbish........

Post by dtyssmshdchrb »

I agree, I believe they need to seriously reassess how much they spend per postie on how often they replace single items of clothing. In a job which faces all weather conditions we need quality, not quantity. I can't believe some of the items and jackets over the years have gone through trials testing positively. There's always glaringly obvious faults that should have been flagged; the hoods on the big jackets are atrocious!

I've voiced and written clothing suggestions many times over the years to seemingly no avail... although we're getting a soft-shell jacket soon I hear, which is something I've mentioned every year since we've had those ridiculously s**t fleeces. I don't hold out any hope for them being at all suitable though! :roll:
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: All weather coat is rubbish........

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

If I may be so bold, Capitalism explains it.

A business with 130000 people wants to order uniform, but they want to test it first.

Simple, bid low but provide top quality to the testing teams. Once its accepted the deal make quality changes and or use cheaper material that matches the original.

Bingo - the test teams love the quality, the final users don't.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
mudmonster
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 107
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: All weather coat is rubbish........

Post by mudmonster »

like all other Royal fail items "not fit for purpose" :Boo hoo! :Boo hoo! :Boo hoo!
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: All weather coat is rubbish........

Post by datasaint »

I wear this. Properly waterproof and not too hot for summer months. In winter I'll wear a fleece under it and the hood actually stays on your head even in strong winds.

http://www.montane.co.uk/range/men/shell/atomic-jacket" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
borgpicard
Posts: 486
Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:45
Gender: Male

Re: All weather coat is rubbish........

Post by borgpicard »

Surreypostie wrote:Apparently, it was all tested prior to issue and people loved it. It all honesty, it was probably people working indoors, no disrespect to them, who tested it.
The people that loved it, sit in offices not walking in the rain
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: All weather coat is rubbish........

Post by DB1100 »

It was loved by mail centre staff and office workers and 20 mins of being waterproof is fine for them to get from the car park to indoors and should last for their numerous smoke breaks as well.
For we were soldiers once,and young
deristrong
Posts: 195
Joined: 15 Nov 2013, 09:28
Gender: Male

Re: All weather coat is rubbish........

Post by deristrong »

My 17 yr old has just started a summer job at McDonald's. On his first payslip he was deducted £5 for being provided with uniform (more than his hourly rate). Penny piching bastards.
Coatsy79
Posts: 7
Joined: 24 Mar 2011, 20:11
Gender: Male

Re: All weather coat is rubbish........

Post by Coatsy79 »

norm wrote:I wear this. Properly waterproof and not too hot for summer months. In winter I'll wear a fleece under it and the hood actually stays on your head even in strong winds.

http://www.montane.co.uk/range/men/shell/atomic-jacket" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In all honesty I'll probably end up spending out my own money to buy something similar

We need to stay dry because God knows if you take a day off because you get ill......................

Shouldn't have to buy our own stuff though
Coatsy79
Posts: 7
Joined: 24 Mar 2011, 20:11
Gender: Male

Re: All weather coat is rubbish........

Post by Coatsy79 »

Hmmmm just found my current regatta jacket (20,000mm waterproof) in red, for £22

How come I can find a better jacket for less than £25 and RM can't supply a decent waterproof when they're buying in such enormous quantities

I'd sooner have a berghaus/north face/Jack woflskin etc that lasts 10 years than have what we have that lasts 10 minutes
Spartacus
Posts: 533
Joined: 23 Jun 2007, 16:41
Location: Wales

Re: All weather coat is rubbish........

Post by Spartacus »

The sad thing is, this is the best "waterproof" coat we've ever had.
Delivery

Resistance is fertile