ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

flexing or lapsing

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
boogyman
Posts: 161
Joined: 17 Mar 2011, 17:29
Gender: Male

flexing or lapsing

Post by boogyman »

Just wondered what the procedure was for flexing or lapsing. I refused today as I hadn't the time. Came back to office on time and the DOM had a bit of a go saying they could make me work over by half hour and then take that time off me on another day. Surely this is banking hrs ? I told them to get the rep involved in the morning to which they said they didn't need the rep as it is in the agreement. Any replies would be a big help.
ihatedogs
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 547
Joined: 03 Nov 2010, 18:53
Gender: Male

Re: flexing or lapsing

Post by ihatedogs »

It's optional mate, simple as that. Dom cant force you to flex. Why does he need you to flex?
It's not designed for busy days, it's for exceptional circumstances mail arriving late due to vehicle breakdown etc
boogyman
Posts: 161
Joined: 17 Mar 2011, 17:29
Gender: Male

Re: flexing or lapsing

Post by boogyman »

Not at our office, it's every day. We flex 6 walks and av done for some time.
ihatedogs
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 547
Joined: 03 Nov 2010, 18:53
Gender: Male

Re: flexing or lapsing

Post by ihatedogs »

Do you mean you lapse everday mate? Doing lapsing within your daily hours is perfectly acceptable. Flexing is volunteering to work over by 30 mins and getting that time back within 5 working days.
A2B
Posts: 2025
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
Gender: Male

Re: flexing or lapsing

Post by A2B »

boogyman wrote:Not at our office, it's every day. We flex 6 walks and av done for some time.
That's not flexing that's absorption/lapsing, flexing as pointed out above is for unforeseen issues but is optional. Also you can only absorb/lapse if you have the time, you don't have to go over your duty time
boogyman
Posts: 161
Joined: 17 Mar 2011, 17:29
Gender: Male

Re: flexing or lapsing

Post by boogyman »

That's what I told the DOM I hadn't got the time neither would a lot of others if they came in at proper time and took their breaks.
I Just didn't like it when they said they could force me to work over by 30 mins. If I haven't got the time I won't do it. But they said we'll u made time on Tuesday ( sorry that ain't my problem) They never av a go at people who do the lapsing and book O.T surely they should question those people as lapsing should be done because you have the time. Alot of people book most days for taking it.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: flexing or lapsing

Post by Jpro747 »

They'd rather you took it and went over than left it in there. As long as all the mail goes out the door so they don't have to do any work that day and can bugger off home.
Flashman_
Posts: 363
Joined: 05 Jan 2010, 00:08
Gender: Male

Re: flexing or lapsing

Post by Flashman_ »

Flexing is optional but, when they asked me to do 30 mins flex recently I could not see why I would want to. They would only allow me to come in 30 mins later on a day of their choosing, but would not let me finish 30 mins earlier instead. So what is the point in saying yes to it. I would have no interest in a extra 30 mins in bed, which is pointless. However I would not mind getting home earlier. Its all one way with them, they want flexibility when it suits them but will not give you any incentive to do it.
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: flexing or lapsing

Post by coxie »

Same here, If they want 30 mins flex at the end, fine but I want it back at the end not the beginning. They won't agree so I say no. Flexing is optional and is not designed to be for lapsing anyway. Lapsing is supposed to be for people who finish early and have time, they could ask you to flex on your own duty but not to lapse. I'm sure flexing was supposed to be asked 24 hours in advanced originally too but might be wrong there, but at no point can they force you. If he said you finished early on Tuesday then he is trying to bank time you made on a previous day, that's not allowed either so tell him if he has a problem with people finishing early on Tuesday he should give you all more work or adjust the start and finish times but he's not allowed to bank that time.
Cobblers_3
Posts: 26
Joined: 27 Apr 2013, 13:31
Gender: Male

Re: flexing or lapsing

Post by Cobblers_3 »

Clarification would be nice. On a Saturday we always finish an hour early (think they forget we are out an hour earlier!)
We have a big delivery and take two healthy lapsing loops on the Saturday and still finish at that time. Wednesday Thursday we don't lapse as we don't have time, but essentially what they are saying now is 'take the absorption on wed/thurs, go over then not a word will be said when you're back early Saturday.
It's a case of bank hours in the week then get off early Saturday. So if I have banked 2 hours through the week can I go home at 11am please sir on a Saturday?
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: flexing or lapsing

Post by coxie »

If they allow going home earlier, but they can ask you to work to your time Saturday or any other day. They are now blackmailing you, they can't bank hours which means they can't make you work over your time on another day and say it's ok because you finish early on another day. They can only ever make you work to your time, they can ask you to flex by 30 mins but this time must be paid back so agree it up front.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: flexing or lapsing

Post by postslippete »

I think the 30mins flex is in the agreement but its your choice and if you do go over by 30 mins they should give you your 30 mins back during the week


Rather than just saying "No" - when they ask me if I would like to flex then I tell them only if they will take 30mins delivery off me on a Saturday. Fair is fair, I would be doing them a favour by working past my time unpaid so why can't I finish half an hour earlier on a Saturday by having them take some work (maybe a loop or so) off me?

Its never happened yet!!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
dave0876
Posts: 154
Joined: 19 Apr 2008, 12:09

Re: flexing or lapsing

Post by dave0876 »

Can't use flexible ng agreement to give you time to lapse end off.lapsing is to fulfill your daily hours.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: flexing or lapsing

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

dave0876 wrote:Can't use flexible ng agreement to give you time to lapse end off.lapsing is to fulfill your daily hours.

Yes you can nothing in agreements which prevents this, end of day flexing is voluntary so if you volunteer to flex there's nothing stopping you doing some lapsing in that time
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: flexing or lapsing

Post by Surreypostie »

We never get asked to flex, we always get the overtime if we go over. Flexing would just move the problem to the next day. Not enough people doing IPS in the morning as it is. We have to have people throwing off walks for part timers, van shares get thrown off by one of the OPG's or they fail, then there are porters, we sometimes have as few as 4 people doing the IPS.