ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What does your DOM support do in your office?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

What does your DOM support do in your office?

Post by postiewhite »

Our DOM support makes work that really isn't there, always looking busy when infact that same job on a morning would take anyone else half the time. Taking time over scanning in tracked, shifting a load of boxes and tidying up (wasting time) and when everyone is out on delivery then it's time to relax for a few hours.....oh and a guaranteed saturday off!!
Ive worked in offices where the dom support throws in walk, brings any lapsing to you to save you time,updates your redirection book and mucks in.
centenaryman
Posts: 512
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
Gender: Male

Re: What does your DOM support do in your office?

Post by centenaryman »

sound like our support,,,,,not a lot,,,,although he tells everybody when hes busy.

puts trays out 1st thing before we all come in,,,makes the missorts ready for the missort run.

and marshalls the yard,,,we have a small yard an a lot of vans,,,so when were all gone,,,his day is done
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: What does your DOM support do in your office?

Post by datasaint »

In the same way, what do workplace coaches do? We have three in our office, only one does any coaching with new starters which are few and far between. Seems like a massive waste of money.
wotashitjob
Posts: 18
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 16:28
Gender: Female

Re: What does your DOM support do in your office?

Post by wotashitjob »

DOM support????? What is this????
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: What does your DOM support do in your office?

Post by Jpro747 »

Don't have one, must be something that only exists in bigger offices. Don't really think our DOM needs any support though, unless they want someone to twiddle their thumbs for them.
bandit1157
Posts: 246
Joined: 20 Aug 2009, 00:51
Gender: Male
Location: sh1t street

Re: What does your DOM support do in your office?

Post by bandit1157 »

wotashitjob wrote:DOM support????? What is this????
Some kind of truss ?
It's life Jim but not as we know it
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: What does your DOM support do in your office?

Post by OnAFlyer »

Only one? We have two, both full time. As far as I know they deal with staffing and holidays, no idea how that is 80 hours of work per week but there you go.

They don't do Tracked, they don't do a thing outside their office.
cathyk
Posts: 3
Joined: 22 Nov 2010, 07:27
Gender: Female

Re: What does your DOM support do in your office?

Post by cathyk »

I'm a DOm support, I do everything and I mean everything, portering , throwing off deliveries, throwing off D2Ds, missorts , business replies, all cage work, handling, sorting special deliveries, surcharges, answering callers door and phones, planning duties, box keys, van keys and PDa allocation, A plus, RCS, all stuff on PSP, I could go on..... Wish I could sit with my feet up. That will be the day..... :crazy:
Supermac0151
Posts: 72
Joined: 11 Apr 2015, 08:28
Gender: Male

Re: What does your DOM support do in your office?

Post by Supermac0151 »

I know I have a Dom who smokes a lot if that helps......
sussexlad
Posts: 161
Joined: 28 Oct 2013, 21:52
Gender: Male

Re: What does your DOM support do in your office?

Post by sussexlad »

cathyk wrote:I'm a DOm support, I do everything and I mean everything, portering , throwing off deliveries, throwing off D2Ds, missorts , business replies, all cage work, handling, sorting special deliveries, surcharges, answering callers door and phones, planning duties, box keys, van keys and PDa allocation, A plus, RCS, all stuff on PSP, I could go on..... Wish I could sit with my feet up. That will be the day..... :crazy:
As a Dom support I do a lot of this as well, also it only takes a phone call about a van breakdown and that's half your day gone! Plus sorting out PDA problems for staff who seem to be incapable of typing 4 numbers into the device to login or pressing the small X in the top corner to get rid of the phone screen takes a lot of time as well :arrrghhh
maninred
Posts: 213
Joined: 26 Nov 2010, 20:11
Gender: Male
Location: In trouble....again

Re: What does your DOM support do in your office?

Post by maninred »

sussexlad wrote:
cathyk wrote:I'm a DOm support, I do everything and I mean everything, portering , throwing off deliveries, throwing off D2Ds, missorts , business replies, all cage work, handling, sorting special deliveries, surcharges, answering callers door and phones, planning duties, box keys, van keys and PDa allocation, A plus, RCS, all stuff on PSP, I could go on..... Wish I could sit with my feet up. That will be the day..... :crazy:
As a Dom support I do a lot of this as well, also it only takes a phone call about a van breakdown and that's half your day gone! Plus sorting out PDA problems for staff who seem to be incapable of typing 4 numbers into the device to login or pressing the small X in the top corner to get rid of the phone screen takes a lot of time as well :arrrghhh
Exactly the same here!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: What does your DOM support do in your office?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Not a DOM Support but having popped into their office occasionally its not a quiet or easy job to do.

I suppose it like us Posties, the public used to see us with only 1 bag and thought that was the whole delivery. Hope other posties are not falling into the same mind set as our customers.

As with most jobs I guess its like the duck and the Iceberg.

Paddling like mad to stay still, and only 1/8th of it can be seen by anyone looking in :hmmmm
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: What does your DOM support do in your office?

Post by postslippete »

Ours seems to drink a lot of tea and coffee.


Must be a more stressful job than most staff realise :cuppa
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Himaggen
Posts: 993
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40

Re: What does your DOM support do in your office?

Post by Himaggen »

cathyk wrote:I'm a DOm support, I do everything and I mean everything
How about doing what you're supposed to do?
cathyk wrote:portering , throwing off deliveries, throwing off D2Ds, missorts
All of the above is OPG work!
cathyk wrote:business replies, all cage work, handling, sorting special deliveries, surcharges, answering callers door and phones, planning duties, box keys, van keys and PDa allocation
All of the above is also OPG work, (which used to be performed by the old PHG).
cathyk wrote:A plus, RCS, all stuff on PSP
That's yours, except of course for work which requires you to be a Manager or have a team! …and don't forget WRAP since 'Safety Is Our Number 1 Priority'
cathyk wrote:I could go on..... Wish I could sit with my feet up. That will be the day..... :crazy:
You could, if you stick with just your own work and perhaps spent the rest of your time supporting your DOM in ensuring that they correctly allocate the OPG work load and resources within their unit!
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: What does your DOM support do in your office?

Post by OnAFlyer »

cathyk wrote:I'm a DOm support, I do everything and I mean everything, portering , throwing off deliveries, throwing off D2Ds, missorts , business replies, all cage work, handling, sorting special deliveries, surcharges, answering callers door and phones, planning duties, box keys, van keys and PDa allocation, A plus, RCS, all stuff on PSP, I could go on..... Wish I could sit with my feet up. That will be the day..... :crazy:
Ours do absolutely none of that.