ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

sorting while sitting

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
hans solo
Posts: 3285
Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
Gender: Male

sorting while sitting

Post by hans solo »

kid you not
acting yes acting lm told colleague today you would not have a problem with sorting rates if you did not sit down when prepping frames
you would manage quicker if you stood up all the time to prep
what is the union stance on this pish then
brockleylion
Posts: 21
Joined: 04 Feb 2009, 19:28
Gender: Male

Re: sorting while sitting

Post by brockleylion »

Is quicker to sort while standing FACT.
Villadaft
Posts: 77
Joined: 19 Nov 2010, 20:32
Gender: Male

Re: sorting while sitting

Post by Villadaft »

Brockley is right in fact I would take the chairs away from the sorting and prepping of jobs, you want a seat take one in your meal relief
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 305
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: sorting while sitting

Post by jimmynailsalive »

Villadaft wrote:Brockley is right in fact I would take the chairs away from the sorting and prepping of jobs, you want a seat take one in your meal relief
I like to sit when doing my re-directions, seems our office gets most of its complaints regarding this so I find it easier doing these correctly sitting on my butt.
BarnsleyLackey
Posts: 349
Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
Gender: Male

Re: sorting while sitting

Post by BarnsleyLackey »

Villadaft wrote:Brockley is right in fact I would take the chairs away from the sorting and prepping of jobs, you want a seat take one in your meal relief
You sure you're OK with us having a meal relief?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: sorting while sitting

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

brockleylion wrote:Is quicker to sort while standing FACT.

No thats an opinion not a fact. It may be fact that you sort quicker standing (I do) but people are different.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: sorting while sitting

Post by aiden01 »

Villadaft wrote:Brockley is right in fact I would take the chairs away from the sorting and prepping of jobs, you want a seat take one in your meal relief
Why?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: sorting while sitting

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Villadaft wrote:Brockley is right in fact I would take the chairs away from the sorting and prepping of jobs, you want a seat take one in your meal relief

Lets hope your an under-informed postie rather than a Manager who should know all the facts and figures.

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... =1&t=42968" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Inward Flow ?
Wait till he goes to the indoor flow presentation.
All IPS sorters are supposed to be seated. :chuckle

1200mm [1.2m) is needed for a person to retrieve a tray from a stored York container and carry it behind a seated sorter. :left:
and the people in these official pictures have all been sacked.

Image
Image

and lets not forget the Ergonomic Review of Seating http://www.cwu.org/50030/ergonomic-revi ... ating.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But hey ho if managers know best..................
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Jack Rouse
Posts: 74
Joined: 09 Jul 2014, 20:01
Gender: Male

Re: sorting while sitting

Post by Jack Rouse »

Isn't there a ruling somewhere that seats have to be provided.

For ages now cashiers at supermarkets have the option to stand or sit.

I have noticed though that unlike the old IPS frames the new ones don't have stools integrated into them.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2055
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: sorting while sitting

Post by scoobydo79 »

Being stood up sorting screws My back up.Spend enough time on My feet delivering thank you.I will sit down at any chance I get.The person saying take chairs away and make people stand is selfish and inconsiderate.
Jack Rouse
Posts: 74
Joined: 09 Jul 2014, 20:01
Gender: Male

Re: sorting while sitting

Post by Jack Rouse »

scoobydo79 wrote:Being stood up sorting screws My back up.Spend enough time on My feet delivering thank you.I will sit down at any chance I get.The person saying take chairs away and make people stand is selfish and inconsiderate.
Royal Mail IPS and delivery frames are not ergonomic at all, I'm only 5'8" and I find stooping at my frame painful, how those taller than me cope I don't know. On the other side of things we have one girl in our office who has to stand on trays to reach the top row of her frame, she's asked loads of times to have an extra section put in so that the top row can be done away with.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2055
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: sorting while sitting

Post by scoobydo79 »

So what does Your health and safety rep say about a girl standing on empty cassettes just to reach her frame?That shouldnt be happening should it?
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: sorting while sitting

Post by krussel »

scoobydo79 wrote:So what does Your health and safety rep say about a girl standing on empty cassettes just to reach her frame?That shouldnt be happening should it?

Your rep says no this should not happen. If the girl slips and damages her ankle then its a blame worthy.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
brockleylion
Posts: 21
Joined: 04 Feb 2009, 19:28
Gender: Male

Re: sorting while sitting

Post by brockleylion »

As a health and safety rep in a delivery office no one should be standing on boxes to reach on frames,which enhances the argument that sitting to sort on the ips is not as quick as standing this is where I base my fact statement,reaching upwards isn't as quick as placing In front we work work safely and in a controlled way not taking risks with our health. Some folks need to sit and others prefer to stand just think it's quicker if standing not better.
Spedley
Posts: 1209
Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
Location: Warwickshire

Re: sorting while sitting

Post by Spedley »

Isn't it 33 per minute on IPS? I can do 45 sitting down or I can stand up and do 33 - you choose!