ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Best day at Royal mail.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Best day at Royal mail.

Post by DB1100 »

Today our area union rep came at our request to put an end to the rumours about the brown nosers and overtime hoovers that they would be able to jump the seniority queue for the chance to go full time,the silence afterwards was a pleasure to behold,I was proud to be in the union,when the penny finally dropped that all the corner cutting ,break missing running around with out a trolley,the extra unpaid hours in the morning they do to chop other peoples walks up have all been for nothing made me smile all day,even with the bad weather
For we were soldiers once,and young
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Best day at Royal mail.

Post by POSTMAN »

:nana

Curious?
Previously on RMC...

:funneh
DB1100 wrote:We are due to have a repick in our office soon and a number of part timers will be made up to full time,the area manager say's that some part timers with less seniority can jump the queue if they have done overtime in the last year,so I take that to mean that a part timer with 2 or 3 years service who has done a lot of overtime can jump in front of a part timer who has 12 to 14 years service in but for one reason or another cannot do much over time,has this been agreed by the union?,the area manager says that this is part of the way forward agreement,this cannot be right can it?
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Best day at Royal mail.

Post by DB1100 »

I've sent you a PM to explain it,hopefully
For we were soldiers once,and young
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Best day at Royal mail.

Post by datasaint »

Seniority could be based on hours worked if you wanted to be really pedantic.

E.g. 4 year PTer doing 20 contracted hrs a week vs 2 year PTer doing 20 contracted + 25hrs OT a week, the latter has done more for the business.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Best day at Royal mail.

Post by DB1100 »

norm wrote:Seniority could be based on hours worked if you wanted to be really pedantic.

E.g. 4 year PTer doing 20 contracted hrs a week vs 2 year PTer doing 20 contracted + 25hrs OT a week, the latter has done more for the business.
Doesn't work like that tho,it's time served,unless you've spent loads of it on sick or you haven't got a driving licence and all the full time jobs require a driving licence,not everybody has the right circumstances to do lots of overtime,i.e you could be a single parent,or a carer for someone is it right to discriminate against those people?
For we were soldiers once,and young
hans solo
Posts: 3285
Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
Gender: Male

Re: Best day at Royal mail.

Post by hans solo »

keep smiling and dont be too sore on the teachers pets now :left:
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Best day at Royal mail.

Post by fishtank »

norm wrote:Seniority could be based on hours worked if you wanted to be really pedantic.

E.g. 4 year PTer doing 20 contracted hrs a week vs 2 year PTer doing 20 contracted + 25hrs OT a week, the latter has done more for the business.
Seniority might but strictly speaking if you wanted to be pedantic we don't have seniority, we have length of service in days from the day you start inclusive of sundays, bank holidays, sick leave and annual holibobs, that's length, not width. I'm told it makes all the difference.

Doing the seniority thing based on hours would be unlawful and a bit silly, there are no records of the overtime I did twenty years ago and when I started I think we did a 42 hour week...

And finally lol, let's be honest doing more hours isn't doing more for the business, It's doing more for your pocket, sometimes necessary to keep the wolves from the door but never an act of extreme selfless loyalty to the business.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Best day at Royal mail.

Post by DB1100 »

Thanks for your answer Postman.
For we were soldiers once,and young
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Best day at Royal mail.

Post by Hitcher »

I thought there was an agreement though where if you'd been doing a certain amount of overtime for long enough you were entitled to be made up to those hours?
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Best day at Royal mail.

Post by POSTMAN »

Hitcher wrote:I thought there was an agreement though where if you'd been doing a certain amount of overtime for long enough you were entitled to be made up to those hours?
2.7.7 The level of part time Employees’ contracted hours will be reviewed by the
Employer and the CWU locally on a six monthly basis. Where appropriate,
increased contracted hours will be offered to reflect the hours actually
worked and planned.
Depends on how the overtime was done tho,doing stuff willy nilly won't get you anwhere,but if your duty constantly needs you to claim...
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
PostmanP@
Posts: 5
Joined: 30 Mar 2015, 13:23
Gender: Male

Re: Best day at Royal mail.

Post by PostmanP@ »

Does broken service count!?
I worked for 7 years before with Royal Mail & left for 5 years but came back & now I'm on the bottom rung of the seniority ladder! Does my previous service count for anything?
cuddyhung
Posts: 27
Joined: 15 Apr 2014, 17:07
Gender: Male

Re: Best day at Royal mail.

Post by cuddyhung »

PostmanP@ wrote:Does broken service count!?
I worked for 7 years before with Royal Mail & left for 5 years but came back & now I'm on the bottom rung of the seniority ladder! Does my previous service count for anything?

only for holiday entitlement ,, not for seniority
masterblaster
Posts: 285
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:12
Gender: Male

Re: Best day at Royal mail.

Post by masterblaster »

DB1100 wrote:Today our area union rep came at our request to put an end to the rumours about the brown nosers and overtime hoovers that they would be able to jump the seniority queue for the chance to go full time,the silence afterwards was a pleasure to behold,I was proud to be in the union,when the penny finally dropped that all the corner cutting ,break missing running around with out a trolley,the extra unpaid hours in the morning they do to chop other peoples walks up have all been for nothing made me smile all day,even with the bad weather
When I 'run around' it hasn't all been for nothing. I have got back to avoid afternoon rain, go to footie, get the shopping done before tea, get some gardening done or lazing about in the garden before dark.
What I find now is we all all being punished for the excessive overtime folk book when taking 6 hours to do a 4 1/2 hour delivery.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Best day at Royal mail.

Post by fishtank »

masterblaster wrote:When I 'run around' it hasn't all been for nothing. I have got back to avoid afternoon rain, go to footie, get the shopping done before tea, get some gardening done or lazing about in the garden before dark.
What I find now is we all all being punished for the excessive overtime folk book when taking 6 hours to do a 4 1/2 hour delivery.
You're being "punished" because we have an agreement to work all paid hours, Just because you fancy a nap in the back garden doesn't mean you have the right to ignore that, The business has a right to expect 8 hrs work for 8 hrs pay and if you're dumb enough to cram 8 hrs work into 6 hrs you can be sure eventually they will come back for more, that's the modern world, It isn't the 70s anymore.

I take it you don't ignore the other agreements we have like the pay rises and the paid sick leave.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: Best day at Royal mail.

Post by Surreypostie »

fishtank wrote:
masterblaster wrote:When I 'run around' it hasn't all been for nothing. I have got back to avoid afternoon rain, go to footie, get the shopping done before tea, get some gardening done or lazing about in the garden before dark.
What I find now is we all all being punished for the excessive overtime folk book when taking 6 hours to do a 4 1/2 hour delivery.
You're being "punished" because we have an agreement to work all paid hours, Just because you fancy a nap in the back garden doesn't mean you have the right to ignore that, The business has a right to expect 8 hrs work for 8 hrs pay and if you're dumb enough to cram 8 hrs work into 6 hrs you can be sure eventually they will come back for more, that's the modern world, It isn't the 70s anymore.

I take it you don't ignore the other agreements we have like the pay rises and the paid sick leave.
:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :Applause