ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Chasdad
Posts: 46
Joined: 27 Jan 2015, 11:05
Gender: Male

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

Post by Chasdad »

2nd week in. One of the three who started with me has packed it in. First duty was a disaster didn't get out til gone ten and back after 4. Someone took on the final loop as overtime as well! Second duty back by three but again someone else took the last loop. Yesterday got my act together on the frame and out by 9:20 and ready to do the final loop before two and my partner cuts off and management request I do the whole of loop 6 myself (never done it til that point). Took me nearly two hours with a trolley and DOM came out to help me in last 15 minutes. He was actually very nice about it and thanked me for doing it!!! Bloody hard work, though. Right in at the deep end. My partner also refused to take me somewhere in the van where I could take a leak before he went home. Nice...........

I'm beginning to see how it all works. The dutys too big to complete on time with a newbie like me on board, though I reckon I'll crack it next week, but it's going to be a killer. My partners having a nervous breakdown about it all though to be fair on the first duty management called him asking wtf's going on (as if they didn't know). He has to go very fast to complete on time in any case, even without me on board. This, I guess, is the cause of the problem. Rep told me to tell him to do it at a reasonable pace so that he can work with management to get the Duty shortened. Anyone got thoughts on this?
Also how are you supposed to get trained when everything's about getting a huge duty done as quick as poss, big bundles and heavy bags used etc etc etc.....
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

Post by POSTMAN »

Topic split.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
enskied
Posts: 1877
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
Gender: Male

Re: ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

Post by enskied »

" The dutys too big to complete on time with a newbie like me on board."

No it isn't. The duty is to big regardless, or the prep was mismanaged before hand, neither of which is your fault.

I am sure that the manager was "good" about you doing the extra work it saved him a lot of hassle and his own shoe leather.

Is this really the way to introduce new starters to delivery ? I know I had a baptism of fire when I started all those years ago our office was one of the STARBURST trial offices
and I started the first week and never thought I would get the hang of it for months, It is much harder now.

Keep your head and have confidence in yourself. Do the best you can within the time you are allocated and DON'T rush. Prep speed will develop as you go on as will your delivery speed and knowledge. Get what you do right rather than getting it all done and worrying about mistakes you may have made.
Chasdad
Posts: 46
Joined: 27 Jan 2015, 11:05
Gender: Male

Re: ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

Post by Chasdad »

Thanks Enskied.i'll remember this when ive got both sides breathing down my neck. Which will happen next week, no doubt about it.
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Re: ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

Post by Newbie001 »

Training. You've received the only training you'll ever likely receive. It's called throw you in and hope you'll swim. And if you do swim, they'll keep throwing you back in until you get faster and faster (not taking breaks, running etc). The hardest part of this job I'm afraid is learning to when to say no and with temporary contracts, reliance on overtime and the six month trial period, it's so easy for them to bully you.
Your rep basically summed it up. He's offering advice for you're colleague who's most probably been there donkey-years, a full-timer or on 30+ hours contract and most likely got himself into his own predicament. What valuable advice did he have for you and you're Dom about being thrown in at the deep end with no proper training and one person giving up within the first week. They wonder why the turnover with new staff in a recession is so high. Its laughable really. :crazy:
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Re: ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

Post by terry2972 »

Don't worry to much go at a reasonable pace and claim overtime
gazzathegreat8
Posts: 5
Joined: 06 Nov 2012, 10:50
Gender: Male

Re: ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

Post by gazzathegreat8 »

My problem was, and still is 3 years later, is how can a company (Blue Chip) provide no training and no support. Just expect someone new to the job and all that goes with it to work 1 2 or 3 hours over time without a break for a sip of water, the union must also take some responsibility for this state of affairs. never come across such a weak and spineless bunch of reps (I know not all) My advice however is to stick with it, you sound like you will be a very good at the job, but don`t expect ever to understand the jargon procedures and managers.
Chasdad
Posts: 46
Joined: 27 Jan 2015, 11:05
Gender: Male

Re: ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

Post by Chasdad »

Thanks for all this. To be honest like most I've got a young family to support and I've got to tough it out. Agree that my colleague (who is a young guy and I'm a fit 50 in 2 days) seems to have given them every excuse to insist that the dutys fine by basically cutting every corner going and running. He has his reasons for getting home, family pressures etc. also you're right about feeling I have to do what's asked. Who's going to rehire me? Not my rep, I know that.
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

Post by Nondescript »

We got a new recruit a few weeks ago. She didn't last a week. She was all happy and inquisitive while being shown round the office during her induction, but a few days later I saw her returning to the office about 3.15 pm with a shocked, defeated look on her face. What a shitty company we work for.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

Post by Barbel »

Nondescript wrote:We got a new recruit a few weeks ago. She didn't last a week. She was all happy and inquisitive while being shown round the office during her induction, but a few days later I saw her returning to the office about 3.15 pm with a shocked, defeated look on her face. What a shitty company we work for.
Yes people don't realise how hard it is do they. I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Re: ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

Post by fb1969 »

I have been in for two and a half years now. Just wondering if others left the Induction Day with sheets of A4 that contained a "training programme"?

The first items were about attending the Induction Day and were filled in then. We were told to take it in on our first day at the DO and sections would be ticked off when they were done - learning prep, ips etc etc. I took mine in for the first week but it was never asked for and never has been.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
Chasdad
Posts: 46
Joined: 27 Jan 2015, 11:05
Gender: Male

Re: ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

Post by Chasdad »

yeah I got the sheet. No ones asked for it yet. Lol
Gazza31
Posts: 15
Joined: 11 Feb 2015, 18:25
Gender: Male

Re: ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

Post by Gazza31 »

It's madness isn't it, they have no consideration for any type of work life balance or how physically demanding the job is.
Case in point I gave my one weeks notice last Wednesday but when I look at my last weeks duties I have been put down to work on Saturday due to staffing levels.

Errr one weeks notice runs out on Wednesday and that's when I will be finishing, who vets these supervisors.
P13
Posts: 1016
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
Gender: Male

Re: ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

Post by P13 »

Gazza31 wrote:It's madness isn't it, they have no consideration for any type of work life balance or how physically demanding the job is.
Case in point I gave my one weeks notice last Wednesday but when I look at my last weeks duties I have been put down to work on Saturday due to staffing levels.

Errr one weeks notice runs out on Wednesday and that's when I will be finishing, who vets these supervisors.
No-one vets them they are usually the Dom's mate or failed posties or both
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

Post by DirtyHarry »

This is such a s**t job now. The walks are far too big. Our health is suffering as a result. Is there nobody that can help us? Management are made up mainly of people I'm pretty sure would be diagnosed as being psychopathic by a qualified doctor.