Today after starting work at 6:30 am I felt sick and was unable to continue to work around 7:15 am. Told the line manager, as soon as I told he used F words very quietly as no one heard and told me to continue to work accusing me doing a highly dangerous thing. could not able to work so I just went to canteen are to take rest. When I went again to inform him going home and then will see doctor he handed me a letter asking me to read before I leave. I was feeling too ill to read the letter. I told him will read later. When I came home the letter was saying, " I am unable to satisfy myself that your absence is necessary and due to genuine illness, a criterion which must be satisfied for Royal Mail sick benefits to be paid. On this basis your royal mail sick pay has been wit held until such a point that you have attended a management meeting. You will however receive statist sick pay..........."
Then it says, "Following satisfactory conclusion of the meeting, and upon production of a valid medical certificate to cover the whole absence (from day 1), I will give consideration to the repayment of any Royal Mail sick pay which may have been abated from your wages."
When I saw my GP this morning she said for first 1 week of absence the medical certificate is not required and if Royal Mail asking for that it probably breaking the law. The GP said she is not allowed to issue the medical certificate for 1st week unless I pay as private. I did not have any option to pay her £15.
This is my first time illness at work. Very confused, also the same line manager and DOM eagerly offered me if I needed any ambulance to call when handing the letter.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Is RM breaking the law?
-
pod25
- Posts: 240
- Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 21:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Is RM breaking the law?
This is a joke yes ? Surely April fools day has come early !!!
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Is RM breaking the law?
RM not breaking the law. However the situation is completely wrong and unacceptable. Get your rep to look at this letter and then help you to raise a grievance over it
-
yjafor
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 04 Oct 2011, 11:32
- Gender: Male
Re: Is RM breaking the law?
Thanks a lot. I will do.
-
demon
- Posts: 732
- Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 14:19
- Gender: Female
Re: Is RM breaking the law?
read the employment law yes there braking employment law
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Is RM breaking the law?
demon wrote:read the employment law yes there braking employment law
No they are not. What exact part of employment law do you think they are breaking?