ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Footwear

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Footwear

Post by redneck »

The footwear provided by our esteemed employer has started to cause me some problems, so much so that I have resorted to ordering the dreaded company Doc Martens as per myroyalmail/dimensions website. I remember these causing some horrendous soreness at the back of the heels on a previous occasion, but I have found the Magnum shoes and Anvil trainers too painful on the toes and heel in recent times,and thought I'd give them another go. For sure our feet get a battering over the years on the rounds.

Does anyone know of a way of softening the backs of Doc Martens prior to use to prevent blood loss (sensible suggestions please, not like the unhelpful verbal drivel I was given earlier today in the office from 'colleagues'!)?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Footwear

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

One thing you can do is get a damp bar of soap and rub on the inside of the heel..this softens the leather. Really rub it in and then pull the leather round the heel for a bit, thus stretching it a tad.

You can also clean them in saddle soap (available from most tack shops for about £2...best thing to clean any leather)...and then clean them in this, really rub round the outside of the heel to soften the outside.

If they are tight across the bridge of the foot, get some vodka and wipe over this area...or if all else fails, get a hair dryer, blow across the bit you want to soften and then try them on.

Another solution is to wear blister plasters on your heels - before the blisters appear.

There is also the caveman approach. Sit on the floor, turn on the TV and hit the floor with boot, and also flex the boot.

The final solution, and yes it does work, is too pee in them, it works but you have to make sure you clean them properly after softening them.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Footwear

Post by spiderj »

Wear em in a warm shower to soften then use dubbin/kiwi

You will look mental but it works

Make sure you polish them after they dry and pack them when drying

If your really suffering try asking your gp for a fit note explaining you are struggling with provided footwear

RM give £30 towards footwear
I wear hiking boots in bad weather and shoes/trainers karrimor work for me.

Anything which doesn't twist/allow lateral foot movement is good also toe bumpers and a breathable inner.
I won
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Re: Footwear

Post by redneck »

Thanks for the advice, clearly doing nothing is not an option with them when they arrive. I might try all of them out.

Just a couple of choice suggestions from earlier:

1. Put my foot in a vice
2. Put my head in a vice
3. Find a spare piano and put the offending Docs under one of the legs and allow to rest for a while.
4. Slice the rear of the Doc Martens in half with a sharp knife.

:arrrghhh

RM give £30 towards footwear, how do you claim that please?!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Footwear

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

redneck wrote:4. Slice the rear of the Doc Martens in half with a sharp knife.
Mad as it sounds thats not a bad idea, a very small cut (barely visible) will help ease the pressure.
redneck wrote:RM give £30 towards footwear, how do you claim that please?!
Visit the doctor, get a note and present it to the manager. Purchase the shoes, with receipt and claim.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
glenfiddich
Posts: 1012
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15

Re: Footwear

Post by glenfiddich »

i like the docs but take a couple of weeks to break in by taking trainers with me and change before blistering but theyre heavy to wear on a 5 hour delivery
Harv12
Posts: 158
Joined: 12 Nov 2013, 18:25
Gender: Male

Re: Footwear

Post by Harv12 »

personally i think the YDS trainers are the best iv had in the 16 year iv been with royal mail , i noticed you didn't mention them on your post, give them a try,

the anvils are probs the worst iv had same with the doc martins,
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Re: Footwear

Post by redneck »

Harv12 wrote:personally i think the YDS trainers are the best iv had in the 16 year iv been with royal mail , i noticed you didn't mention them on your post, give them a try,

the anvils are probs the worst iv had same with the doc martins,
I haven't tried the YDS ones, my partner was complaining of blisters so I was put off. A lot of people do like them though, so I will try them if the docs don't do the trick.
GT85
Posts: 365
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
Gender: Male
Location: ASDO

Re: Footwear

Post by GT85 »

I had to go up one size from my normal and add custom insoles to get my YDS trainers comfortable.
We're all here because we're not all there
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Footwear

Post by DB1100 »

redneck wrote:
Harv12 wrote:personally i think the YDS trainers are the best iv had in the 16 year iv been with royal mail , i noticed you didn't mention them on your post, give them a try,

the anvils are probs the worst iv had same with the doc martins,
I haven't tried the YDS ones, my partner was complaining of blisters so I was put off. A lot of people do like them though, so I will try them if the docs don't do the trick.
A good way to avoid blisters is to buy some surgical spirits from a chemist's shop and rub this in to your feet with some cotton wool,usually takes a couple of days to a week to work,very good stuff as most forces people will agree.
For we were soldiers once,and young
mailroyaly
Posts: 129
Joined: 15 Feb 2008, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: over there

Re: Footwear

Post by mailroyaly »

Personally prefer the cat trainers to the new versions, managed to get a pair off ebay & reverted back to them, so much lighter than the anvils.
They might not be waterproof but I'd rather have wet feet than sore feet.
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Re: Footwear

Post by redneck »

After a very quick delivery from the supplier via the Dimensions website (myroyalmail.com), I received them yesterday. I bashed the heels on the frame a bit creating a stir in the office, then used them on delivery for 2 hours before changing for a pair of my own trainers. Not bad. Then today did the same but the right heel was starting to get a small blister after the leather at the heel had scythed through a sock and was starting to engage with the skin at the end of 2 hours. They are very comfortable in all other aspects, just the damned heel as usual. I've now got them under the shower for a bit on return home, see if that works after they've dried out.
Claudiasdad
Posts: 14
Joined: 20 Jul 2014, 18:50
Gender: Male

Re: Footwear

Post by Claudiasdad »

Cut two lines down the back with a Stanley knife, one either side of the stitching this works a treat :dance , I have personally used this method with around 10 pairs over the years and no cuts at all
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Re: Footwear

Post by redneck »

Successful delivery today of 4 hours, no bleeding heels and surprisingly no cut socks on either foot (I had to bin two pairs last week). Thanks for all the advice, hoping for a good run (I mean walk) with these. :Applause