ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

urgent advice please.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
comeracing
Posts: 806
Joined: 28 Nov 2010, 20:58
Gender: Male

urgent advice please.

Post by comeracing »

ive strained my wrist which is fairly sore,ive rang in work this morning 5.40am left a message saying I wont be back until Monday at the earliest.in bed 9.30 am loud knock at door its the stand in dom at the door,reckned I might have gone to Cheltenham festival today (tried to catch me out ),my blood is boiling,he said I can come back to work on light duties sort with my weak hand or sit in the canteen and do nothing ?I am now going t doctors shortly to get a note.my sick record is very good,and I get this treatment from a dom,I might even be off with stress now with this idiot,how do I put a greivence in against this harassment. :arrrghhh
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: urgent advice please.

Post by spiderj »

You can download a stage 1 from the download section on here.

Although they can visit at home it seems odd they didn't call first.
Me personally I'd wait until my go has assessed whether I'm fit for work at all.

You can self certificate for seven days then you need a fit note.

To sort with your other hand sounds fine but what if you are further injured on the strained limb? Don't stress ,self cert,and follow gp advice.

Was it injured at work?
I won
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: urgent advice please.

Post by rehabron »

comeracing wrote:ive strained my wrist which is fairly sore,ive rang in work this morning 5.40am left a message saying I wont be back until Monday at the earliest.in bed 9.30 am loud knock at door its the stand in dom at the door,reckned I might have gone to Cheltenham festival today (tried to catch me out ),my blood is boiling,he said I can come back to work on light duties sort with my weak hand or sit in the canteen and do nothing ?I am now going t doctors shortly to get a note.my sick record is very good,and I get this treatment from a dom,I might even be off with stress now with this idiot,how do I put a greivence in against this harassment. :arrrghhh
One of the main reasons for the introduction of the new attendance agreement was to STOP the cold calling of managers at your home by setting up contact arrangements. Your DOM has breached this agreement and should have used other alternatives in contacting you and a 2nd stage individual grievance may be in order but would probably argue that it was left till a reasonable time such as 9.30 am for them to check in the likelihood that you may have over slept.
On the matter of obtaining a sick note from your GP for your sprained wrist and one of the options given by your DOM that you can return to work and sit in the canteen becomes a tricky one.
The fit note can be classed by employers as an advice note because it now gives other alternatives or a comments section which your employer can accept or take further advice from other sources such as an Occupational Health Advisor and use their recommendations for an earlier return to work. This is to ensure that their absenteeism figures are kept to a minimum.
In your case returning to work and sorting with your left hand which was one of the alternatives given would be difficult for the employer to sanction by their actions as you could reasonably argue that by having to use your unnatural hand to sort could lead to complications.
On the other hand ( apologies for the unintended pun ) having you to attend work to do nothing other than sit in the canteen now raises further issues and a refusal to accept their returning to work conditions they would have the right to instigate further actions or remedies.
I would suggest that if you attend to refrain from work and what manger has currently done that encroaches on work related STRESS that you give your consent for a referral to OH Assist and wait for your Dom to consult their recommendations.
An ET would find it very difficult to make an award in your favour when it was shown by employer that in relation to your medical condition they asked you to attend for work and NOT WORK.
If on returning to work and NOT WORKING and covered by an active fit note and an unfortunate accident happened to your wrist by being on the premises then this would be in your favour and employer would be in a precarious position.
hellpop
Posts: 62
Joined: 13 Nov 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: urgent advice please.

Post by hellpop »

i have had the same this week.i am off with stress and the dom and his right hand man called at my house.i have a note for 2 wks and only been off a wk. they said they had been trying to contact me but i had no calls registered on my phone.i have been informed that they are not allowed to do this but it seems they do what they please.
comeracing
Posts: 806
Joined: 28 Nov 2010, 20:58
Gender: Male

Re: urgent advice please.

Post by comeracing »

i have been to docs and got a ssp form of which I have filled in and will take to work, I will return to work on Monday,if I feel up to it,so in total I would have had 4 working days off in total,my sick record is very good,i am disgusted by this DOM calling round to my house with NO phone call from him beforehand.I have never put in a grievance in before,but surely what this manager has done,deserves me to fight this,any union reps on here please give me some advice.somebody else in our office off with stress,becuase of this dom,i don't want to go the same way.I am not having these bullyboy tactics,please take me through this grievance procedure.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: urgent advice please.

Post by rehabron »

comeracing wrote:i have been to docs and got a ssp form of which I have filled in and will take to work, I will return to work on Monday,if I feel up to it,so in total I would have had 4 working days off in total,my sick record is very good,i am disgusted by this DOM calling round to my house with NO phone call from him beforehand.I have never put in a grievance in before,but surely what this manager has done,deserves me to fight this,any union reps on here please give me some advice.somebody else in our office off with stress,becuase of this dom,i don't want to go the same way.I am not having these bullyboy tactics,please take me through this grievance procedure.
As I previously posted as your grievance is with your first line manger then you will have to automatically issue a 2nd stage individual grievance form which you can get from your union rep.
The 2nd stage grievance is copied in to the ER Team at RM Sheffield who will appoint a manger of a higher level of authority within your designated area to hear your complaint.
Best of luck. :arrrghhh
comeracing
Posts: 806
Joined: 28 Nov 2010, 20:58
Gender: Male

Re: urgent advice please.

Post by comeracing »

thanks rehabon,will do this tomorrows doms like this do not deserve a job.
Chelseablue
Posts: 2222
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Re: urgent advice please.

Post by Chelseablue »

Some of them wdnt get a bosses job anywhere else . Karma will sort them out .
paranoid-android
Posts: 106
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 09:17
Gender: Male

Re: urgent advice please.

Post by paranoid-android »

Just as an aside, how would you're argument for not attending go if for example your only way of attending work was by cycle. This would cause agrivation or pain to the injury?
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: urgent advice please.

Post by rehabron »

paranoid-android wrote:Just as an aside, how would you're argument for not attending go if for example your only way of attending work was by cycle. This would cause agrivation or pain to the injury?
Not a great argument here it is your responsibility to get yourself to work by whatever means are available.
paranoid-android
Posts: 106
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 09:17
Gender: Male

Re: urgent advice please.

Post by paranoid-android »

rehabron wrote:
paranoid-android wrote:Just as an aside, how would you're argument for not attending go if for example your only way of attending work was by cycle. This would cause agrivation or pain to the injury?
Not a great argument here it is your responsibility to get yourself to work by whatever means are available.
This is the only means that are available, busses don't run at this time of day here, no car, taxis too expensive , teleportation not available yet!
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: urgent advice please.

Post by rehabron »

paranoid-android wrote:
rehabron wrote:
paranoid-android wrote:Just as an aside, how would you're argument for not attending go if for example your only way of attending work was by cycle. This would cause agrivation or pain to the injury?
Not a great argument here it is your responsibility to get yourself to work by whatever means are available.
This is the only means that are available, busses don't run at this time of day here, no car, taxis too expensive , teleportation not available yet!
Teleportation is being considered by RM for getting staff from their home to the workplace within unsociable hours where no public transport is available and this would have to be part of the office budget in comparing the costs of teleportation to replace RM crew buses and vans which at present collect staff. The savings would be enormous drivers to be utilised on other work activity, fuel and ad-blue savings, tyres depreciation and less valeting but at present RM would send a vehicle to offset any pain to the injury this is normally called a DUTY OF CARE.
RM are presently negotiating with William Shatner to be appointed to the executive board to provide in depth knowledge of the teleportation system.
RM also looked into the matter of using a police box with a beacon previously used by Jon Pertwee, David Tennant, William Hartnell, Peter Davidson + others but due to the present pillar box strategy this would be closed at 9.00 am and therefore full usage for late shift staff would be a non-starter so this has now been abandoned. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: urgent advice please.

Post by Dorset Plodder »

:Applause Very Good Rehabron........ And some sensible advice. It always surprises me that how ever bad you think your manager is you can always find another one on here that is much worse. I find the behaviour of this guy totally out of order and I hope comeracing has a successful outcome to his Grievance.

I believe the only way to stop these over zealous managers from bullying their staff, in various ways, is to continually put in Grievances. Eventually their shortcoming will become so blatantly obvious, even to their own Managers, that something will need to be done. Unfortunately this only seems to result in them being transferred to another unsuspecting office. :thumbdown
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Re: urgent advice please.

Post by BingBong »

b and h straight in. regardless. uncalled for. they could atleast ring you to see if they can come over to your house.
Toon Army!
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Re: urgent advice please.

Post by BingBong »

hellpop wrote:i have had the same this week.i am off with stress and the dom and his right hand man called at my house.i have a note for 2 wks and only been off a wk. they said they had been trying to contact me but i had no calls registered on my phone.i have been informed that they are not allowed to do this but it seems they do what they please.
call the police. tell them you are being harrassed and they wont leave your property :-D :nana
Toon Army!