ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Why did you not lapse?
-
lofarl
- Posts: 48
- Joined: 25 Feb 2010, 16:08
- Gender: Male
Why did you not lapse?
I had a Doctors appointment today. To make sure I got finished sharp I came in a bit early. So I was able to complete quicker. I explained in the morning that I had this apt and I can remember a previous time when they asked me to come in early if I had a appointment. So for that reason I never took any lapsing. So having finished 35 mins early I am to be spoken to for refusing to lapse. Getting sick of this nonsense now.
-
Hitcher
- Posts: 1530
- Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Why did you not lapse?
If you didn't inform anyone then you've no one but yourself to blame.
-
lofarl
- Posts: 48
- Joined: 25 Feb 2010, 16:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Why did you not lapse?
I did inform them in the morning though.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Why did you not lapse?
Next time you have a docs appointment tell them your only doing half a day and go off.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16692
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Why did you not lapse?
The post isn't clear.
When you say you finished 35 minutes early, is this 35 minutes before your official finish time, or 35 minutes earlier than you should have finished, assuming your request for flexible working had been agreed?
For example, if your official finish time is 2.30, did you finish at 1.55 having stated at 6 instead of 6.30? Or did you finish at 1.20?
Did you have time to take the lapsing within your contracted hours, even with your change to working hours and still make the appointment?
How much notice did you have of the appointment?
Did you actually ask to flex your hours or did you just inform them of your intentions in the morning?
If nothing else it would seem a bit discourteous, even if there was some precedent.
When you say you finished 35 minutes early, is this 35 minutes before your official finish time, or 35 minutes earlier than you should have finished, assuming your request for flexible working had been agreed?
For example, if your official finish time is 2.30, did you finish at 1.55 having stated at 6 instead of 6.30? Or did you finish at 1.20?
Did you have time to take the lapsing within your contracted hours, even with your change to working hours and still make the appointment?
How much notice did you have of the appointment?
Did you actually ask to flex your hours or did you just inform them of your intentions in the morning?
If nothing else it would seem a bit discourteous, even if there was some precedent.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Why did you not lapse?
lapsing is only supposed to be in place if you don't have enough work to take you to you're normal finishing time. are they saying there wasn't enough work to take you to you're time.? we nearly only ever lapse on a Tuesday....the rest of the week there is no scope to lapse.....should you have been lapsing anyway? especially on a Thursday?
-
lofarl
- Posts: 48
- Joined: 25 Feb 2010, 16:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Why did you not lapse?
Ok so start time today is supposed to be 08:30, with a 14:30 finish. However as I know it's our busiest day of the week I came in at 08:00. I did this hoping that the extra 30 mins would enable me to finish early enough to get home, change, let dogs out etc. I was asked by one manager if I had time to lapse. I explained that I had a doctors appointment and I would prefer not to. He went away satisfied enough. I had about 10 mins of a break, ate a quick sandwich and left on my run.
My day went reasonably well. Not to many P739 cards to write and got finished earlier than I expected at 13:40. Now to my mind bearing the fact I came in 30 mins early and only had 10 mins of a break I see no problem. Unfortunately a different manager sees it differently. The sole reason I came in early was due to being told last year when I had a hospital visit that I should start a bit earlier so to give myself more time to finish. The way I see it I still worked the same amount of hours.
My day went reasonably well. Not to many P739 cards to write and got finished earlier than I expected at 13:40. Now to my mind bearing the fact I came in 30 mins early and only had 10 mins of a break I see no problem. Unfortunately a different manager sees it differently. The sole reason I came in early was due to being told last year when I had a hospital visit that I should start a bit earlier so to give myself more time to finish. The way I see it I still worked the same amount of hours.
-
hatetheboss
- Posts: 191
- Joined: 11 Jul 2009, 04:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Back Of Beyond
Re: Why did you not lapse?
I'm sorry to say but you are in the wrong, you can't presume, you have to inform the manager what you are doing and get them to agree.lofarl wrote:Ok so start time today is supposed to be 08:30, with a 14:30 finish. However as I know it's our busiest day of the week I came in at 08:00. I did this hoping that the extra 30 mins would enable me to finish early enough to get home, change, let dogs out etc. I was asked by one manager if I had time to lapse. I explained that I had a doctors appointment and I would prefer not to. He went away satisfied enough. I had about 10 mins of a break, ate a quick sandwich and left on my run.
My day went reasonably well. Not to many P739 cards to write and got finished earlier than I expected at 13:40. Now to my mind bearing the fact I came in 30 mins early and only had 10 mins of a break I see no problem. Unfortunately a different manager sees it differently. The sole reason I came in early was due to being told last year when I had a hospital visit that I should start a bit earlier so to give myself more time to finish. The way I see it I still worked the same amount of hours.
The fact you came in early without first informing your manager is your first mistake, then finishing early and saying you did not have time to take your lapsing is the second, get your Rep involved quickly he may be able to salvage the situation.
Good luck
They are coming to take us away
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Why did you not lapse?
You told one manager who was satisfied you say so surely that should be it,just refer the 2nd manager to the 1st one 
-
hatetheboss
- Posts: 191
- Joined: 11 Jul 2009, 04:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Back Of Beyond
Re: Why did you not lapse?
The problem is he told the manager he did not have time to lapse due to an hospital appointment, this does not mean he could finish early, the manager will say he accepted he could not lapse but would have expected him to work to his time.Bahia Feliz wrote:You told one manager who was satisfied you say so surely that should be it,just refer the 2nd manager to the 1st one
Just playing Devils advocate.
They are coming to take us away
-
Hitcher
- Posts: 1530
- Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Why did you not lapse?
Until the 1st manager denies it because I bet there were no witnesses.Bahia Feliz wrote:You told one manager who was satisfied you say so surely that should be it,just refer the 2nd manager to the 1st one
-
lofarl
- Posts: 48
- Joined: 25 Feb 2010, 16:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Why did you not lapse?
Had I started on my exact time and had my full break I would have finished about 14:30. The fact that I finished earlier is due to the fact that I came in 30 min's early and only had 10 min's break. Had I came in at 08:30 and said, hey listen I have the doctors today oh and I am going to sit upstairs for 30 min's on my break before leaving the building, I know fine well they would have asked why I didn't come in a bit sharper and I am being unreasonable. I can't win. They are just looking for a reason to have a go at me.
I had a series of hospital appointments last year where I would come in early so as to get away sharper and this was never an issue after clearing it with the DOM. Had today been exceptionally busy I would have said I cannot complete my duty on time. I was not asking to get away early I just did not think I had scope to lapse.
I had a series of hospital appointments last year where I would come in early so as to get away sharper and this was never an issue after clearing it with the DOM. Had today been exceptionally busy I would have said I cannot complete my duty on time. I was not asking to get away early I just did not think I had scope to lapse.
-
hatetheboss
- Posts: 191
- Joined: 11 Jul 2009, 04:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Back Of Beyond
Re: Why did you not lapse?
No 1 You started early without permission (you should have asked your manager the previous day)lofarl wrote:Had I started on my exact time and had my full break I would have finished about 14:30. The fact that I finished earlier is due to the fact that I came in 30 min's early and only had 10 min's break. Had I came in at 08:30 and said, hey listen I have the doctors today oh and I am going to sit upstairs for 30 min's on my break before leaving the building, I know fine well they would have asked why I didn't come in a bit sharper and I am being unreasonable. I can't win. They are just looking for a reason to have a go at me.
I had a series of hospital appointments last year where I would come in early so as to get away sharper and this was never an issue after clearing it with the DOM. Had today been exceptionally busy I would have said I cannot complete my duty on time. I was not asking to get away early I just did not think I had scope to lapse.
No 2 You presumed what they were thinking (you should have had this confirmed)
No 3 On the previous occasions you had it cleared with the Dom (not on this occasion)
Hopefully your Dom will see your side, but don't hold your breath.
They are coming to take us away
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32793
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Why did you not lapse?
Surely to stop the s**t from the screws it would of been easier to get the docs appointment later?
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
Tuffers1875
- Posts: 146
- Joined: 14 Nov 2012, 15:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Why did you not lapse?
Take no notice of some of the boneheads on here lofari. Some just like to stir the s**t. Tell the gaffer you'll be his nark and he'll let you off 