ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Bank holiday pay refused

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
maddam78
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 17
Joined: 14 Mar 2012, 07:55
Gender: Female

Bank holiday pay refused

Post by maddam78 »

Hi, could anyone advice on what should I do if my office refused to pay for bank holidays, basically they told me that this is not my choice to have it paid or extra days off, that's royal mails decision, I am confused :evil/mad
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Bank holiday pay refused

Post by Lincox »

It is not Royal Mail,s decision as there is an agreement between Royal Mail and CWU that if a bank holiday falls on your day off then you are entitled to either take this as paid overtime or a day off in lieu. Get your rep on to this and if he cannot be bothered take it over his head and speak to the area rep.
bogues2009
Posts: 87
Joined: 27 Jan 2007, 16:20

Re: Bank holiday pay refused

Post by bogues2009 »

What if you are a ft reserve when you dont know what your day off is until late saturday when they do staffing? Even then they will change it very often. They always place my day off on bank holiday when its due so I cannot claim for it but get day in lieu (on request).
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Bank holiday pay refused

Post by Lincox »

You have the same entitlement to any one else. If they rota in your day off as a bank holiday then you have the same two options.
hatetheboss
Posts: 191
Joined: 11 Jul 2009, 04:39
Gender: Male
Location: Back Of Beyond

Re: Bank holiday pay refused

Post by hatetheboss »

Put in a grievance and go through the whole procedure, it will cost Royal Mail to pay a manager to come and do it and then they will have to pay twice due to your managers ignorance.
They are coming to take us away
hatetheboss
Posts: 191
Joined: 11 Jul 2009, 04:39
Gender: Male
Location: Back Of Beyond

Re: Bank holiday pay refused

Post by hatetheboss »

Then tell him you won't be doing any more overtime till it is paid.
They are coming to take us away
dave0876
Posts: 154
Joined: 19 Apr 2008, 12:09

Re: Bank holiday pay refused

Post by dave0876 »

Just ask for your DSM mobile number your DOM will soon pay you they know they have too but some just don't like paying for it. I take it comes of there budget.My Dom paid everybody who asked without a problem because has our unit rep the Christmas working arrangements were pinned to the notice board and this specific thing highlighted and also informed every OPG in my office what they were entitledvto do if day off fell on the bank holiday and if any problems just point the DOM in the direction of the said notice hence no problems in my unit.What is your rep doing about this.
maddam78
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 17
Joined: 14 Mar 2012, 07:55
Gender: Female

Re: Bank holiday pay refused

Post by maddam78 »

Today i have spoken to my union rep, he had no idea what im talking about, he explain that my office hwdc had a different agreement with cwu and never before noone ask for it, when i showed him a Rm employments at glance page he admitted that this is only a guedlines is not my right, could somebody explain is that correct and what steps should i take thank you
hatetheboss
Posts: 191
Joined: 11 Jul 2009, 04:39
Gender: Male
Location: Back Of Beyond

Re: Bank holiday pay refused

Post by hatetheboss »

Your Rep is wrong, put in a grievance, get onto your area rep to sit in on it
They are coming to take us away
pod25
Posts: 240
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 21:13
Gender: Male

Re: Bank holiday pay refused

Post by pod25 »

Your rep is indeed wrong.
Only yesterday, I saw RM headed letter from a Mr Paul Willis who has authorized the payment.
Speak to HR, they might be able to help.

Failing that, tell your rep to mention the name Paul Willis to his DOM.
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Bank holiday pay refused

Post by Lincox »

I cannot understand why there are reps that have no clue about what has been agreed between Royal Mail and CWU. I appreciate that they do the job voluntarily but if you cannot get even the most simplest of agreements correct why even bother putting yourself forward. Or is there some other ulterior motive?
Anfloyd
Posts: 7
Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 00:04
Gender: Male

Re: Bank holiday pay refused

Post by Anfloyd »

I'm on a 30 hour contract. A couple of years ago I had to change my shift pattern due to child care issues. I worked Wed through to Sat. This meant that I was never actually down to work any Monday. Even so, after banging my head against a brick wall on numerous occasions and putting in a grievance, I was paid for all the Bank Holidays that I missed out on. Everyone who normally works at least 4 days a week is entitled to Bank Holiday pay. I think pro rata takes effect for less than 3 days attendance.
maddam78
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 17
Joined: 14 Mar 2012, 07:55
Gender: Female

Re: Bank holiday pay refused

Post by maddam78 »

I only work 2 days / week is that mean I'm not entitled to be paid?
Anfloyd
Posts: 7
Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 00:04
Gender: Male

Re: Bank holiday pay refused

Post by Anfloyd »

14. The annual Bank, Public and Royal Mail Group Holidays will give part-time employees an equivalent benefit of full-time employees. Part-time employees conditioned to at least four weekly attendance's will be entitled to the same number of days off as full-time employees, and where their attendance is constructed so as to "miss" a particular holiday an equivalent day off should be given as near to the appropriate holiday as possible.

Where a part-time employee is conditioned to three or fewer weekly attendance's, the total entitlement should be reduced pro-rata to a five day week (rounded to the nearest half day). Where the pattern of their attendance would either "miss" or "hit" fewer or more holidays than the entitlement then it should be adjusted accordingly during the weeks adjacent to the holidays concerned. Wherever possible this should be done by pre-scheduling the desired attendance pattern in advance across the year. The same arrangements will apply to full-time employees in the same position.

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... on#p505882" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Bank holiday pay refused

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

maddam78 wrote:I only work 2 days / week is that mean I'm not entitled to be paid?

No it means you get a pro rata amount back either as paid Bank Holidays or time off in lieu. Rough 2/5 or 3.5-4 days for you.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.