Just had my annual leave card printed and in the section of 'contract type' it says LTPT.
Am I right in assuming this stands for for Long Term & Part Time?
Because I'm on a full-time contract and have been for the past 2 years. It was originally on a temporary basis then I transferred to another office remaining full-time and have been ever since. Is there a chance that I was never formally put on a full-time contract and that given this knowledge my manager could reduce my hours back to part-time? As we all know the company and managers are on a drive to get rid of full-timers and despite having a good rapport with him I would fully expect him to do so given the opportunity.
Any knowledge or advice on these matters would be greatly welcomed.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Annual leave card contract type [LTPT]
-
jbbicker
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 24 Dec 2013, 14:31
- Gender: Male
-
Decky Boy
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
- Gender: Male
Re: Annual leave card contract type [LTPT]
Are you sure about thatjbbicker wrote: As we all know the company and managers are on a drive to get rid of full-timers.
If you have a full time contract continue doing what you are doing and chances are you'll have a full time job as long as you want one.
Last edited by Decky Boy on 30 Dec 2014, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Annual leave card contract type [LTPT]
'I'd be amazed if you could as its not a policy, more of an perception that most accept or agree with.Decky Boy wrote:Are you sure about thatjbbicker wrote: As we all know the company and managers are on a drive to get rid of full-timers.Please supply some evidence to support the above statement...
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Decky Boy
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
- Gender: Male
Re: Annual leave card contract type [LTPT]
So more staff... rather than less staff ? I don't buy that as my job ain't getting any smaller or easier....
-
jbbicker
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 24 Dec 2013, 14:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Annual leave card contract type [LTPT]
There are people in my office who have been there for over 13 years and still can't get full time hours. When a full time member of staff leaves or retires they don't make anybody else's hours up. It's not a question of more staff over less staff, the staff numbers are the same because it's based on how many walks there are (+ floaters + reserves). At present we don't have enough full-timers to complete the sorting (and some throwing off) so a select few part-timers get asked in here and there on overtime. It's cheaper for them to have part-timers because they cost less when they're on annual leave or off sick, and simply offer them overtime in the mornings to supplement their income and get the sorting done. There's also the occasional overtime on delivery that part-timers generally pick up because they come in before their start time, rush around, and then head back out because they wanna earn a bit more crust. This suits the managers and their budgets. Perhaps I was bit strong in saying they were driving full timers out, but their penny-pinching policies are pretty evident in our office.
-
Cedar_Room
- Posts: 826
- Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09
Re: Annual leave card contract type [LTPT]
Can't answer your Q,but what I can tell you is that once upon a time up I was in the same position as you & my leave card was changed straight away from LTPT to LTFT.jbbicker wrote:Just had my annual leave card printed and in the section of 'contract type' it says LTPT.
Am I right in assuming this stands for for Long Term & Part Time?
Because I'm on a full-time contract and have been for the past 2 years. It was originally on a temporary basis then I transferred to another office remaining full-time and have been ever since. Is there a chance that I was never formally put on a full-time contract and that given this knowledge my manager could reduce my hours back to part-time? As we all know the company and managers are on a drive to get rid of full-timers and despite having a good rapport with him I would fully expect him to do so given the opportunity.
Any knowledge or advice on these matters would be greatly welcomed.
I can empathise with your uneasiness as we all know that they would love to drop our hours down given any opportunity but seeing as you've been full time for over 2-years I THINK you may be ok & your hours should be safe.
Good luck.
“Shorts,in this weather?!”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
-
jbbicker
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 24 Dec 2013, 14:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Annual leave card contract type [LTPT]
i'm sure there won't be any problems but you can see why i'm concerned. thanks for your assurances anyhow.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12178
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Annual leave card contract type [LTPT]
And then them same part timers probably wonder why they can't get full time contractsjbbicker wrote: There's also the occasional overtime on delivery that part-timers generally pick up because they come in before their start time, rush around, and then head back out because they wanna earn a bit more crust.
-
jbbicker
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 24 Dec 2013, 14:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Annual leave card contract type [LTPT]
You hit the nail on the head there. Our union rep says, 'if only everyone would work to their time and not work over for a week they would be forced into increasing hours, giving out more full-time contracts.' But that would only benefit the ones at the top of the part-time seniority. The lads who have come in through the door in the last couple of years won't see the benefits. So it's in their interests to come in early, show they're keen, and mop up the overtime when it's available. It's a viscous cycle and I guess you have to see it from everyone's perspective.SpacePhoenix wrote: And then them same part timers probably wonder why they can't get full time contracts
-
Tiddler
- Posts: 30
- Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 21:47
- Gender: Male
Re: Annual leave card contract type [LTPT]
The Manpower Plan from which the annual leave cards are more than likely produced is not a system recognised nor supported by Royal Mail. It is used purely by offices because PSP is not suitable for use in the real world.
PSP is great for giving the management information, but cannot produce a list of who is off on what week ( without it running into 52 pages or more) and therefore cannot be quickly used to make decisions about who can have what leave off.
So it is more likely that the person who completes the Manpower Plan couldn't be bothered or didn't have time to go through everyone's contract position and update it with the correct information.
PSP is great for giving the management information, but cannot produce a list of who is off on what week ( without it running into 52 pages or more) and therefore cannot be quickly used to make decisions about who can have what leave off.
So it is more likely that the person who completes the Manpower Plan couldn't be bothered or didn't have time to go through everyone's contract position and update it with the correct information.