ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

something like a postman guide...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
troubadour2012en
Posts: 33
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 13:40
Gender: Male

something like a postman guide...

Post by troubadour2012en »

Hi all!
I have just started in this job, two days ago. I would like to know if there is something like a postman guide, like a "manual" of the job. I'm still struggling, trying to understand the elementary stuff, like what kind of delivery should be scanned (whit PDA)/signed, and witch shouldn't. It would be great if I could find (and download) something like an electronic book whit all these instructions what a postman need to know. Thank you very much indeed.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: something like a postman guide...

Post by datasaint »

troubadour2012en wrote:Hi all!
I have just started in this job, two days ago. I would like to know if there is something like a postman guide, like a "manual" of the job. I'm still struggling, trying to understand the elementary stuff, like what kind of delivery should be scanned (whit PDA)/signed, and witch shouldn't. It would be great if I could find (and download) something like an electronic book whit all these instructions what a postman need to know. Thank you very much indeed.
Scan any 13 digit code starting with two letters and ending with two letters, ignore the rest.

I wouldn't worry too much on learning everything at once, golden rules

- try your best not to misdeliver items, if you are unsure, endorse the mail 'delivery point unknown' and take back to the office, better safe than sorry.
- don't ever lose a special delivery or deliver it to neighbour.
- fill out your 739s as per the book every time, unless it's a delivery to neighbour.
- don't doorstep items or sign for them.
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: something like a postman guide...

Post by wabbithunta »

Did you have an induction course when you started, or were you just thrown into it at the deep end?
You should've got a handbook if you attended that, assuming you did have one that is but somehow I don't think you did as you're posting on here that is that's likely to be a big fat NO!
Talk to your DOM or lino, assuming they're talkative and helpful and ask them. You should've been given a basic run through of the office your working at the very least.

Mind you, you'll get a lot of help on here, assuming that posties in your office haven't already offered you any crumbs of comfort...
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: something like a postman guide...

Post by aiden01 »

twincamms wrote:What a great company we work for.

Training non existent, they seem to forget that the staff are their best asset, yet they treat us like dirt, when will they invest in training, development, educational programmes, on-going improvements, etc?
never :crazy: :crazy:
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: something like a postman guide...

Post by wabbithunta »

Work your hours. Take your meal relief. Don't let the managers etc bully and harass you into going over your time or working excess as this time of year can be somewhat daunting, starting on Christmas Pressure, when you're new.

Join the Union (see your rep.) It's worth it to get protection if/when the poo hits the fan... and you.

You'll see quite a few "runners" in your office (they tend to do the O/T) and they can go at a fair lick. Just ignore them and work your own pace, you'll find that you'll get faster as you get used to the job and pick it up.

If you're unsure you'll be able to complete your delivery then tell your manager BEFORE you leave the office, and have a witness with you to back you up.
(Some managers tend to suffer "memory problems" when it comes to deliveries not being completed due to people cutting off.)

As you're new, then hopefully they'll give you a little leeway to give you time to get accustomed to the job.

When it get's heavy, and at this time of year it will be, and you think it's too much, don't let it get to you and stress you out.
It's a job. When you're done go home, leave it behind in the office.

You'll find some people on here can be cynical and negative about the job. (The "been there, done that, worn the t-shirt, ate the pie, read the book, seen the movie.. etc etc" brigade) Some of what is posted on here can be laced with either a touch of or a barrel of sarcasm, some of it won't. But a lot of posts on here you'll find helpful.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
troubadour2012en
Posts: 33
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 13:40
Gender: Male

Re: something like a postman guide...

Post by troubadour2012en »

oh, thank you very much for your answers; yes, I had my induction day (that was Tuesday) but they didn't give me any handbook yet. I found (on this website) something about "Standard Operating Procedure"; I guess this is exactly what I need. Does anyone know if is there any chance to find a downloadable version of that document? Thanks again for your huge help!
troubadour2012en
Posts: 33
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 13:40
Gender: Male

Re: something like a postman guide...

Post by troubadour2012en »

thanks a lot, wabbithunta, for your advice!...I just want to say just few hours ago I sent an e-mail to CWU to join them...:)
pinstripe
Posts: 2474
Joined: 25 May 2007, 16:42
Gender: Male
Location: 2 left turns from reality

Re: something like a postman guide...

Post by pinstripe »

Have a read through this thread. It's just what you need. Advice for new posties.

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... =1&t=27513" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
secluder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 40
Joined: 30 Aug 2009, 10:59
Gender: Male

Re: something like a postman guide...

Post by secluder »

wabbithunta wrote:Work your hours. Take your meal relief. Don't let the managers etc bully and harass you into going over your time or working excess as this time of year can be somewhat daunting, starting on Christmas Pressure, when you're new.

Join the Union (see your rep.) It's worth it to get protection if/when the poo hits the fan... and you.

You'll see quite a few "runners" in your office (they tend to do the O/T) and they can go at a fair lick. Just ignore them and work your own pace, you'll find that you'll get faster as you get used to the job and pick it up.

If you're unsure you'll be able to complete your delivery then tell your manager BEFORE you leave the office, and have a witness with you to back you up.
(Some managers tend to suffer "memory problems" when it comes to deliveries not being completed due to people cutting off.)

As you're new, then hopefully they'll give you a little leeway to give you time to get accustomed to the job.

When it get's heavy, and at this time of year it will be, and you think it's too much, don't let it get to you and stress you out.
It's a job. When you're done go home, leave it behind in the office.

You'll find some people on here can be cynical and negative about the job. (The "been there, done that, worn the t-shirt, ate the pie, read the book, seen the movie.. etc etc" brigade) Some of what is posted on here can be laced with either a touch of or a barrel of sarcasm, some of it won't. But a lot of posts on here you'll find helpful.
Great advice right there.

+1
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: something like a postman guide...

Post by Surreypostie »

If you are not sure what to scan then scan anything, if it is invalid it will tell you so. If the item requires a signature there is usually a little black dot after the number on the PDA screen that indicates you have to get it signed for. If you are not sure just click on delivered, assuming it will go through the letterbox, if it needs a sig it will take you to that screen. You won't have to worry too much though as the PDA's run out of battery about 30 mins into your delivery and you'll have to do it the reliable way with pen and paper.

Good luck.
troubadour2012en
Posts: 33
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 13:40
Gender: Male

Re: something like a postman guide...

Post by troubadour2012en »

thanks a lot, guys! there are, indeed, many precious advice for me and other new posties like me :) what I was looking for it's a downloadable document (.doc, .pdf, or whatever) with those "standard operating procedures",as I could learn more (and better) all these "rules" of a good delivery, at my home. But I guess I have to ask my manager line (or better the Union rep) at my workplace, they should have one of those books to give me...
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: something like a postman guide...

Post by Surreypostie »

I've never seen a book or guide in all my years, the only way to learn it to be honest is to do it.
troubadour2012en
Posts: 33
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 13:40
Gender: Male

Re: something like a postman guide...

Post by troubadour2012en »

Surreypostie, I totally agree with you, practice makes us better...About scanning / not scanning, what I understood so far is that we have to scan all tracked items (letters or parcels), the "Signed for" items, and the Special Deliveries. Some of them require a signature (that point before the bare code). Another thing, we can leave pretty much everything at the neighbors , except Special Delivery. Please, correct me where I'm wrong.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: something like a postman guide...

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

troubadour2012en wrote:Surreypostie, I totally agree with you, practice makes us better...About scanning / not scanning, what I understood so far is that we have to scan all tracked items (letters or parcels), the "Signed for" items, and the Special Deliveries. Some of them require a signature (that point before the bare code). Another thing, we can leave pretty much everything at the neighbors , except Special Delivery. Please, correct me where I'm wrong.
Yes you missed foreign items that require a signature they can't be left at neighbours either.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
troubadour2012en
Posts: 33
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 13:40
Gender: Male

Re: something like a postman guide...

Post by troubadour2012en »

oh, thanks for info, trueblue :) I'll put that on my list of "Don't s"...