ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Paid to leave?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Garzongos
Posts: 5
Joined: 31 Oct 2013, 11:40
Gender: Male

Paid to leave?

Post by Garzongos »

I might, in a few months time, have the opportunity of a different career. With the craving for management to get rid of full timers I am thinking of asking for some kind of payment to leave. I have been full time for over twenty years and am exactly the kind of worker they want rid of. Without it being a voluntary redundancy I thought it might be worthwhile asking what they would offer me to go. I'll make out I can't take the new job through financial reasons such as bridging the gap going from weekly to monthly pay so would need an offer to leave. Has anyone heard of this happening before?
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: Paid to leave?

Post by rhino49 »

If they get the slightest sniff that you are considering another job they will play poker and you will lose - if it is a better job, just be grateful and take it. EVR's are offered on an application basis with no bargaining, but I understand they are now offered on a seniority basis once the applications to take the offer of EVR are in. If you have 20 years in you probably stand a good chance depending on the number available for your office. I have a suspicion that there will be a lot of pruning going on after the Christmas chaos is over.
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
Garzongos
Posts: 5
Joined: 31 Oct 2013, 11:40
Gender: Male

Re: Paid to leave?

Post by Garzongos »

Thanks for the reply Rhino. It really would be a game of poker but the way I see it I can't lose. If I get offered this job it is in a very different area of work and significantly better than what I'm in just now. I know I will be going but will they? I'll just lay it on with the regional manager telling him he could get rid of a full time position for a lot less than a VR. What is it Derek Trotter says? "He who dares wins Rodney, he who dares" lol
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Paid to leave?

Post by Darren Bent »

Be best buddies for Area/regional manager then you might get the nod ;) :oops:
Garzongos
Posts: 5
Joined: 31 Oct 2013, 11:40
Gender: Male

Re: Paid to leave?

Post by Garzongos »

Or offer him a % as a backhander if he gets me a deal lol
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Paid to leave?

Post by Hitcher »

Buy down your hours and then leave. :wink:
Bernardson
Posts: 320
Joined: 11 Dec 2007, 23:22

Re: Paid to leave?

Post by Bernardson »

Its called Termination by Mutual Consent. I believe there is a section in the VR agreement that covers this. The terms are not as generous as VR but better than leaving by the usual way.
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: Paid to leave?

Post by wabbithunta »

Bernardson wrote:Its called Termination by Mutual Consent. I believe there is a section in the VR agreement that covers this. The terms are not as generous as VR but better than leaving by the usual way.

Better to go that way then maybe?
Last place I worked at some people were "forced to take VR" and it went to the Industrial Tribunal and they won on the grounds of Constructive Dismissal.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Re: Paid to leave?

Post by wacko74 »

Bernardson wrote:Its called Termination by Mutual Consent. I believe there is a section in the VR agreement that covers this. The terms are not as generous as VR but better than leaving by the usual way.
I can't believe that if VR isn't available and IHR isn't an option then RM would offer you some other unofficial pay off to leave... they'll surely just point you in the direction of the door if you tell them you want to leave.
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 5038
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
Gender: Male

Re: Paid to leave?

Post by baldrick »

Hitcher wrote:Buy down your hours and then leave. :wink:
Iirc you have to pay back the buydown payment if you leave within 2 years of receiving it.
darude
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 37
Joined: 03 Jun 2007, 19:02
Gender: Male

Re: Paid to leave?

Post by darude »

Heard there's a chance of vr coming after christmas. I've been doing job share for couple of years.I was full-time for 30 odd years. Will they still count towards vr ?.