ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Doorstepping - its ok to do now ?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Doorstepping - its ok to do now ?

Post by Postie45 »

So for years we`ve been constantly told, dont leave packages unattended, 739 them and bring them back to the office and anyone who was found out to be leaving packages got conduct code.
Now what we see is packages (mainly tracked) with the message "safeplace if out" on them. Not only that, when reading this forum managers are telling us to leave them in all manner of places to get them "delivered"

So Id like to know ...
What is a "safeplace" ? Is it somewhere the package wont go missing from ? How do we evaluate what a "safeplace" is ? What happens to the postie when a package goes missing from a "safeplace" ?
If RM insists that we are allowed to leave packages in a "safeplace" then there should be no comeback for any packages that go missing.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Doorstepping - its ok to do now ?

Post by datasaint »

No the 'Safeplace if out' is only to be used if the sender has written in the adjoining box where that is e.g. greenhouse.

You then select Safeplace on the PDA instead of selecting delivered.
snoopy777
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 56
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 20:22

Re: Doorstepping - its ok to do now ?

Post by snoopy777 »

are you in the sticks somewhere? "Safe place" been around for ages. Difference is, it's what the paying customer has deemed safe and not us the positive, so we are covered if goes missing :)
masterblaster
Posts: 285
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:12
Gender: Male

Re: Doorstepping - its ok to do now ?

Post by masterblaster »

If a customer tells me where their safe place is, then OK leave it.
If not then I card em - always.
islfor
Posts: 380
Joined: 26 Aug 2008, 19:27
Gender: Male
Location: Scotland

Re: Doorstepping - its ok to do now ?

Post by islfor »

Safeplace - Is where the customer has requested in writing to manager e.g. shed etc. Then its entered on the A plus system as customer request (customer care have access to this database) Its then in your walklog for that duty, if it goes missing from the shed ? You have been covered by the input in A plus.

If for instance the request is to drop parcel through window or leave in recycling bin......then your DOM should write to customer stating its unsafe to do so. (If he agrees to this request, ask for his DSM number !!)
Never leave parcels unattended when there's a request stuck on doors.....'Please leave parcel behind flower pot'.....Anyone can see that note & pinpoints to the thief were item is left.

Always remember YOU the OPG has the right to make that judgement while out on delivery. NEVER SIGN FOR ITEMS OR DELIVER SPECIAL DELIVERIES TO ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES !!!!

DELIVERY TO NEIGHBOUR ONLY COVERS TRACKED ITEMS AS THE AGREEMENT STATES, IT DOES NOT MENTION SAFEPLACE ???
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: Doorstepping - its ok to do now ?

Post by postslippete »

islfor wrote:

DELIVERY TO NEIGHBOUR ONLY COVERS TRACKED ITEMS AS THE AGREEMENT STATES, IT DOES NOT MENTION SAFEPLACE ???

Tracked items do have a "Safeplace" option. Its essentially a free service for Royal Mail Tracked 24 and 48 customers. However, just be careful where you leave your parcel. A neighbour is usually fine, but if in doubt, just slip it and bring it back to the office.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
stan_lers
Posts: 136
Joined: 04 Nov 2014, 21:52
Gender: Male

Re: Doorstepping - its ok to do now ?

Post by stan_lers »

Lots of people have obvious safe places, like garages, sheds, those green plastic garden storage boxes etc. Almost no one that offers tracked even gives customers the option of entering a safeplace when they order though, which makes it fairly pointless.
pyphon
Posts: 231
Joined: 02 Sep 2008, 20:57
Gender: Male
Location: North East England

Re: Doorstepping - its ok to do now ?

Post by pyphon »

stan_lers wrote:Lots of people have obvious safe places, like garages, sheds, those green plastic garden storage boxes etc. Almost no one that offers tracked even gives customers the option of entering a safeplace when they order though, which makes it fairly pointless.
bt and amazon do, two of our big customers,
islfor
Posts: 380
Joined: 26 Aug 2008, 19:27
Gender: Male
Location: Scotland

Re: Doorstepping - its ok to do now ?

Post by islfor »

I have seen tracked items with customer requested a safeplace on item PLEASE PUT PARCEL BEHIND TREE OVER THE WALL.
PLEASE LEAVE BEHIND HEDGE. & PLEASE LEAVE IN BLUE RECYCLING BIN. :arrrghhh
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Doorstepping - its ok to do now ?

Post by OnAFlyer »

islfor wrote:I have seen tracked items with customer requested a safeplace on item PLEASE PUT PARCEL BEHIND TREE OVER THE WALL.
PLEASE LEAVE BEHIND HEDGE. & PLEASE LEAVE IN BLUE RECYCLING BIN. :arrrghhh
Take a photo of the label and chuck it over the wall if that's what it says, that's what I do. The customer requested it, they get it.
Tuffers1875
Posts: 146
Joined: 14 Nov 2012, 15:27
Gender: Male

Re: Doorstepping - its ok to do now ?

Post by Tuffers1875 »

The recipient of the parcel is not the customer, the sender is the customer.

BTW, I delivered a tracked to a neighbour the other week. I got hauled in the orifice and was asked where I'd left it as the 'customer' hadn't received it, but it was scanned as delivered. I left it with a neighbour, but I couldn't remember which one for sure. I always ask any neighbour if they want me to leave a card stating they are looking after a parcel, most say no, so I don't bother. RM are happy to get rid of parcels at any cost, but when they go missing......this deliver to a neighbour really is ridiculous and is open to all sorts of accusations and compensation claims.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Re: Doorstepping - its ok to do now ?

Post by fb1969 »

This "popular question! recently published sums it all up

Q. What happens if the parcel is damaged or stolen by the neighbour?

Alternative delivery addresses should always be attempted. The only exception is where you have reviewed the alternative neighbours and have significant concerns – either over your, or the item’s, safety.

Should a complaint be made, it will be discussed with you and the CWU rep to find a mutually acceptable solution.



That reads to me that the postie is viewed as being at fault. I have used my local knowledge and have decided that I trust very few people, so I go to a neighbour on very rare occasions - maybe once or twice a week.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Doorstepping - its ok to do now ?

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Tuffers1875 wrote:The recipient of the parcel is not the customer, the sender is the customer.

BTW, I delivered a tracked to a neighbour the other week. I got hauled in the orifice and was asked where I'd left it as the 'customer' hadn't received it, but it was scanned as delivered. I left it with a neighbour, but I couldn't remember which one for sure. I always ask any neighbour if they want me to leave a card stating they are looking after a parcel, most say no, so I don't bother. RM are happy to get rid of parcels at any cost, but when they go missing......this deliver to a neighbour really is ridiculous and is open to all sorts of accusations and compensation claims.

Your supposed to go back to original address and leave P739 telling recipient where item is
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Re: Doorstepping - its ok to do now ?

Post by rubberbond »

OnAFlyer wrote:
islfor wrote:I have seen tracked items with customer requested a safeplace on item PLEASE PUT PARCEL BEHIND TREE OVER THE WALL.
PLEASE LEAVE BEHIND HEDGE. & PLEASE LEAVE IN BLUE RECYCLING BIN. :arrrghhh
Take a photo of the label and chuck it over the wall if that's what it says, that's what I do. The customer requested it, they get it.
Funnily enough, I had a parcel delivered by DPD today and was chatting to the delivery chap,he was telling me their PDA's have cameras on them for just such a purpose. We are so,far behind the curve ,it is worrying.
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Doorstepping - its ok to do now ?

Post by Hitcher »

Tuffers1875 wrote:The recipient of the parcel is not the customer, the sender is the customer.

BTW, I delivered a tracked to a neighbour the other week. I got hauled in the orifice and was asked where I'd left it as the 'customer' hadn't received it, but it was scanned as delivered. I left it with a neighbour, but I couldn't remember which one for sure. I always ask any neighbour if they want me to leave a card stating they are looking after a parcel, most say no, so I don't bother. RM are happy to get rid of parcels at any cost, but when they go missing......this deliver to a neighbour really is ridiculous and is open to all sorts of accusations and compensation claims.
How in the hell is the recipient meant to know where you've left it then?