ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

special delivery

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
sjnb6
Posts: 92
Joined: 16 May 2013, 21:49
Gender: Male

special delivery

Post by sjnb6 »

do foreign specials have to be delivered before 1pm ?
if you post a special on fri and pay extra for a gaurenteed sat del what happens to the ones that have not payed the extra premium.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Re: special delivery

Post by fb1969 »

do foreign specials have to be delivered before 1pm ?

No


if you post a special on fri and pay extra for a guaranteed sat del what happens to the ones that have not paid the extra premium?

In our office all Specials are treated the same, by 1pm.
Last edited by fb1969 on 30 Nov 2014, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Re: special delivery

Post by doorstepped »

No is the first answer, all it needs is a signature on the day it was given to you. if it even requires one, if it does not, just post it as you have given a Timed P.O.D

it all depends, if you are given a RM special SG or not, you have to attempt delivery by 13:00 as normal. some offices can and maybe still do, hold back specials that are not SG until Monday on a retention.
Last edited by doorstepped on 30 Nov 2014, 09:42, edited 2 times in total.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: special delivery

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

doorstepped wrote:No is the first answer, all it needs is a signature on the day it was given to you.

it all depends, if you are given a RM special SG or not, you have to attempt delivery by 13:00 as normal. some offices can and maybe still do, hold back speacials that are not SG until Monday on a retention.

The only ones that can be held back on Saturday are for addresses that have an official Saturday retention all others must go out
donein
Posts: 136
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 10:53
Location: north devon

Re: special delivery

Post by donein »

sjnb6 wrote:do foreign specials have to be delivered before 1pm ?
if you post a special on fri and pay extra for a gaurenteed sat del what happens to the ones that have not payed the extra premium.

but some of these foreign specials do not need to be signed for :confused
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: special delivery

Post by chrisj »

Why does the question keep coming up?

A special delivery has to be delivered by 1pm - that is what it says on the sticker and that is what the customer has paid for.

Being saturday does not really matter. Saturday Guaranteed does not make the time any different - it just has to be delivered come what may - and that is what the customer has paid; Football & Airline tickets, concert tickets, financial stuff even Jewellery and so on.

There is no excuse not to deliver a Special before 1pm. Most deliveries now use vans and you get a reminder (even on saturday) on your PDA. If you cannot make it then you should inform your manager.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: special delivery

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

chrisj wrote:Why does the question keep coming up?

A special delivery has to be delivered by 1pm - that is what it says on the sticker and that is what the customer has paid for.

Being saturday does not really matter. Saturday Guaranteed does not make the time any different - it just has to be delivered come what may - and that is what the customer has paid; Football & Airline tickets, concert tickets, financial stuff even Jewellery and so on.

There is no excuse not to deliver a Special before 1pm. Most deliveries now use vans and you get a reminder (even on saturday) on your PDA. If you cannot make it then you should inform your manager.

Saturday does matter, only the SG ones are guaranteed before 1pm, the rest only need to be attempted that day
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: special delivery

Post by NewPostieUK »

chrisj wrote:Why does the question keep coming up?
Because common sense says that if it guaranteed to be delivered by 1pm MONDAY then 3pm sat is fine, as that IS before 1pm MONDAY.

I would argue that only SG''s should be taken out on a saturday. Those who don't agree would maybe explain how I can have an item that I have purchased online delivered by Special Delivery on a MONDAY?

It really annoys me that when I order something on a friday and choose to have it delivered on a monday when I'm in, Royal Mail decides to deliver it on the Saturday when I'm out and not expecting it. I then have a huge round trip on the monday to pick it up.

So please, explain, when I have a choice on the friday of SG or normal SD how exactly do I get my item delivered on the monday?
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: special delivery

Post by chrisj »

Have you actually got a Monday to Friday specification on the Special Delivery stickers because I have one in front of me and all it shows is the tracking number SD 1pm and the title is Special Delivery 1pm.

If you want to receive your Special Delivery on Monday then take it to the Post Office before 12pm on Saturday.

This is so so simple. Special Delivery 1pm is what the customer paid for and that is what they should get.

SG is more expensive and it is just for added protection because the delivery system might fail from time to time and a Special might not be delivered on the next working day. Hence, Saturday Guaranteed items because the customer really really need that item on Saturday (and by 1pm).
pod25
Posts: 240
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 21:13
Gender: Male

Re: special delivery

Post by pod25 »

chrisj wrote:Have you actually got a Monday to Friday specification on the Special Delivery stickers because I have one in front of me and all it shows is the tracking number SD 1pm and the title is Special Delivery 1pm.

If you want to receive your Special Delivery on Monday then take it to the Post Office before 12pm on Saturday.

This is so so simple. Special Delivery 1pm is what the customer paid for and that is what they should get.

SG is more expensive and it is just for added protection because the delivery system might fail from time to time and a Special might not be delivered on the next working day. Hence, Saturday Guaranteed items because the customer really really need that item on Saturday (and by 1pm).
Wrong, wrong and wrong :shock:
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: special delivery

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

NewPostieUK wrote:
chrisj wrote:Why does the question keep coming up?
Because common sense says that if it guaranteed to be delivered by 1pm MONDAY then 3pm sat is fine, as that IS before 1pm MONDAY.

I would argue that only SG''s should be taken out on a saturday. Those who don't agree would maybe explain how I can have an item that I have purchased online delivered by Special Delivery on a MONDAY?

It really annoys me that when I order something on a friday and choose to have it delivered on a monday when I'm in, Royal Mail decides to deliver it on the Saturday when I'm out and not expecting it. I then have a huge round trip on the monday to pick it up.

So please, explain, when I have a choice on the friday of SG or normal SD how exactly do I get my item delivered on the monday?

Choosing not to attempt delivery of a special on a saturday is wilfully delaying get mail. You dont have the option of selecting delivery on a certain day for delivery with RM services. The sender can choose when they send them and they are then delivered appropriately so if you want it monday the sender needs to post it on the Saturday before the last collection time
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: special delivery

Post by NewPostieUK »

chrisj wrote:
If you want to receive your Special Delivery on Monday then take it to the Post Office before 12pm on Saturday.

This is so so simple. Special Delivery 1pm is what the customer paid for and that is what they should get.
I want to Receive it, I am the customer, the buyer, I haven't got it, I can't take it to the post office.

I want it delivered to my house on monday, not saturday.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: special delivery

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

chrisj wrote:Have you actually got a Monday to Friday specification on the Special Delivery stickers because I have one in front of me and all it shows is the tracking number SD 1pm and the title is Special Delivery 1pm.

If you want to receive your Special Delivery on Monday then take it to the Post Office before 12pm on Saturday.

This is so so simple. Special Delivery 1pm is what the customer paid for and that is what they should get.

SG is more expensive and it is just for added protection because the delivery system might fail from time to time and a Special might not be delivered on the next working day. Hence, Saturday Guaranteed items because the customer really really need that item on Saturday (and by 1pm).

Again except on a saturday unless they have paid for SG status then they have paid for it to be delivered anytime on saturday
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: special delivery

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

NewPostieUK wrote:
chrisj wrote:
If you want to receive your Special Delivery on Monday then take it to the Post Office before 12pm on Saturday.

This is so so simple. Special Delivery 1pm is what the customer paid for and that is what they should get.
I want to Receive it, I am the customer, the buyer, I haven't got it, I can't take it to the post office.

I want it delivered to my house on monday, not saturday.

You are not royal mails customer the sender is, RM do not offer a day specific delivery service. If the sender posts it on Friday then delivery is supposed to be delivered saturday unless an official retention in is in place for all mail
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: special delivery

Post by chrisj »

NewPostieUK wrote:
chrisj wrote:
If you want to receive your Special Delivery on Monday then take it to the Post Office before 12pm on Saturday.

This is so so simple. Special Delivery 1pm is what the customer paid for and that is what they should get.
I want to Receive it, I am the customer, the buyer, I haven't got it, I can't take it to the post office.

I want it delivered to my house on monday, not saturday.
I hear what you are saying. The use of the word 'you' is more of a general statement not referring to you NewPostieUk specifically.

It's up to you to keep arguing. Specials get delivered the next working day - simple?

The next working day on Friday is Saturday. And for Saturday, it is Monday.