ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

advice needed

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

advice needed

Post by terry2972 »

Shortly I will be able to up my pension contributions will the money get deducted from my basic wage or from all pay including Overtime many thanks
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: advice needed

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

terry2972 wrote:Shortly I will be able to up my pension contributions will the money get deducted from my basic wage or from all pay including Overtime many thanks

Only pensionable pay and allowances - Though to be frank I don't know what is and what isn't pensionable.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6693
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: advice needed

Post by RobertT »

terry2972 wrote:Shortly I will be able to up my pension contributions will the money get deducted from my basic wage or from all pay including Overtime many thanks
Pension payments get deducted from your gross pay before any tax is taken off and they benefit from tax relief at source. So a £10 per week contribution only actually costs £8 because £2 gets taken off your income tax.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: advice needed

Post by bustedflush »

Yes, but what he means is will the percentage contribution be payable from ALL his wages including O/T etc. or his basic. The answer is the basic pay, the weekly amount is fixed and will not increase if you do O/T or get a bonus.
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Re: advice needed

Post by terry2972 »

thank you busted flush for the info its still a good deal if i am correct i put ion 6% and they put in 9% so not a bad deal
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: advice needed

Post by bustedflush »

terry2972 wrote:thank you busted flush for the info its still a good deal if i am correct i put ion 6% and they put in 9% so not a bad deal
Indeed - if you can afford it do it. I would too.
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: advice needed

Post by Lincox »

This is not correct. 6% will be deducted from both basic and overtime, however the employers contribution will be based on basic pay only.
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Re: advice needed

Post by terry2972 »

Thank you for that information I will have do some number crunching but if I can afford it it will probably still be a good deal
toomuchcoke
Posts: 309
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
Gender: Male

Re: advice needed

Post by toomuchcoke »

Lincox wrote:This is not correct. 6% will be deducted from both basic and overtime, however the employers contribution will be based on basic pay only.
That is incorrect. My payslips show the same deduction against "RMDCP 6% EE" no matter how much overtime I've done. However I guess things may be different if you on a part-time contract as any overtime up to 39 hours will get a pension deduction (and presumably a contribution from the RM?) from it?
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: advice needed

Post by Lincox »

toomuchcoke wrote:
Lincox wrote:This is not correct. 6% will be deducted from both basic and overtime, however the employers contribution will be based on basic pay only.
That is incorrect. My payslips show the same deduction against "RMDCP 6% EE" no matter how much overtime I've done. However I guess things may be different if you on a part-time contract as any overtime up to 39 hours will get a pension deduction (and presumably a contribution from the RM?) from it?
You may be correct as I am part time, but the contribution from Royal Mail only seems to be based on contracted hours.