What happens in your DO when new OPGs come in?
How are they trained and do you have a formal training package, if so do you know where it came from?
I expect many of you will identify with the way I got introduced to the job, induction, a day 'observing' someone on the job, a day having a go then get in there on your own and sink or swim but does anyone have any examples of good training practices?
Does it really matter if we don't train people 'properly' or does the deep end sort out the wheat from the chaff?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Training the New Guys....and Gals
-
Justanotherstar
- Posts: 351
- Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Training the New Guys....and Gals
I got the same, half a day out with a postie who basically just pointed me in a direction and said deliver that way meet you back at the van then I was on my own...
I was told in my induction i'd get at least a week being shown what to do

I was told in my induction i'd get at least a week being shown what to do
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Training the New Guys....and Gals
Yes good job you have a sense of humour they were jokingJustanotherstar wrote:I got the same, half a day out with a postie who basically just pointed me in a direction and said deliver that way meet you back at the van then I was on my own...
I was told in my induction i'd get at least a week being shown what to do![]()
![]()
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16692
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Training the New Guys....and Gals
National Agreement on Induction and Coaches
You will find it in Downloads.
You will find it in Downloads.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Shaman Mao
- Posts: 133
- Joined: 03 Jan 2013, 22:46
- Gender: Male
Re: Training the New Guys....and Gals
In our office new entrants get an induction day at the local Mail Centre, then a day in the DO with a coach learning how we really do things. After that it's a couple of days with the coach on a walk. Then they're paired up with another (hopefully sensible postie) and off they go. We do try, as far as possible, to keep them on the same delivery for a few weeks but it doesn't always happen.
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Training the New Guys....and Gals
2 days training and off you go. Oh and don't forget your lapsing!
-
terry2972
- Posts: 482
- Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Training the New Guys....and Gals
And don't forget to claim for the overtime
-
answer=42
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 07:44
- Gender: Male
Re: Training the New Guys....and Gals
Thanks CLR, very informative. Chances of me getting a fraction of this implemented when we get some new joiners soon?National Agreement on Induction and Coaches
You will find it in Downloads.
Fat and non I should think.