ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
New job
-
sophie97
- Posts: 169
- Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 15:10
- Gender: Female
New job
Just looking for unbiased feedback really from people that have left RM to work elsewhere, if they still post on here.
Currently at my wits end with the job and its getting me really depressed so I feel I need to start looking.
Ive got no real qualifications, at least none that would help get me a job. Have a decent work history on my CV and open to ideas.
Currently at my wits end with the job and its getting me really depressed so I feel I need to start looking.
Ive got no real qualifications, at least none that would help get me a job. Have a decent work history on my CV and open to ideas.
-
Ricardo44
- Posts: 164
- Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
- Gender: Male
Re: New job
I know exactly how you feel Sophie. I am still in the job but I'm always thinking about how I can get out but as has been mentioned many times on here before there are few unskilled jobs around which pay the same money. It all depends on whether you can afford to take a less well paid job.
I used to like the job and thought I had a future with RM but now I struggle to cope with the workload and being bullied and shafted by managers etc.
Things are only going to get worse with Christmas and all the bad winter weather heading our way

I used to like the job and thought I had a future with RM but now I struggle to cope with the workload and being bullied and shafted by managers etc.
Things are only going to get worse with Christmas and all the bad winter weather heading our way
-
on_the_way_OUT
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 16 May 2014, 15:52
- Gender: Male
Re: New job
Don't wish to be too demoralizing but the fact is that unskilled labour is 10 a penny and any decent jobs are hugely oversubscribed. Its hard not to see you leaving RM to a world of minimum wage, zero hour contracts and little to no job security. Not sure about others but I regularly get people asking how they can get an RM job.
I don't think that anyone in RM at the moment is having a great time of it what with the huge changes and uncertainty for the future but maybe its just a case of just keeping your head down and grinning and bearing it for the long term benefits.
I don't think that anyone in RM at the moment is having a great time of it what with the huge changes and uncertainty for the future but maybe its just a case of just keeping your head down and grinning and bearing it for the long term benefits.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: New job
Yes sad but all trueon_the_way_OUT wrote:Don't wish to be too demoralizing but the fact is that unskilled labour is 10 a penny and any decent jobs are hugely oversubscribed. Its hard not to see you leaving RM to a world of minimum wage, zero hour contracts and little to no job security. Not sure about others but I regularly get people asking how they can get an RM job.
I don't think that anyone in RM at the moment is having a great time of it what with the huge changes and uncertainty for the future but maybe its just a case of just keeping your head down and grinning and bearing it for the long term benefits.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
on_the_way_OUT
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 16 May 2014, 15:52
- Gender: Male
Re: New job
I know people in various other jobs and industries and I can tell you that bullying, workloads etc etc isn't just an RM issue.Ricardo44 wrote:I used to like the job and thought I had a future with RM but now I struggle to cope with the workload and being bullied and shafted by managers etc
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Re: New job
We should ,or rather the organisation,that is Royal Mail,be above that sort of practice and be a beacon of good worker relations,sadly,we are amongst the worst in my experience. Shame.on_the_way_OUT wrote:I know people in various other jobs and industries and I can tell you that bullying, workloads etc etc isn't just an RM issue.Ricardo44 wrote:I used to like the job and thought I had a future with RM but now I struggle to cope with the workload and being bullied and shafted by managers etc
-
Shaman Mao
- Posts: 133
- Joined: 03 Jan 2013, 22:46
- Gender: Male
Re: New job
I left for 5 years and came back thoroughly disillusioned with the "outside" world. Unless you're very lucky it is a hell of a lot worse than RM. Terms and conditions mean nothing to a lot of employers. Many firms aren't unionised and much though people grumble and whinge about the CWU, believe me you'll notice the difference.
-
Fulham14
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 20 Oct 2013, 16:02
- Gender: Male
Re: New job
Sorry to hear you in that situation.
Recently left RM after just over a year as FTC. Liked the job and people worked with were very helpful. But circumstances and other aspects of job dictated time to move on.
I'm a touch fortunate
1)I've got experience in another field so wasn't too hard for me to get another job.
2) I also come from a big city.
It is true to say that working conditions have gone backwards but thats another story. Lets move forward.
For yourself maybe look at job agencies.
Although the pay is not as good as direct employment because you are working for an agency that gets commission from you it makes them to find you work.
You can register with agencies while still employed and get a picture of what's out there. Then decide what it takes to get where you want.
I found that one of the themes of management to staff at RM was to keep insinuating they had two choices work harder or face the prospect of working for someone like TNT with worse working conditions etc. or lose their job.
It was almost as if the manager believed the staff were not fit for anything else. Total rubbish. And all it does is lower esteem so you feel scared to leave.
No real qualifications at least none that will get you a job?
Mmmmmmm!
Have you considered night school or part time training?
You have a computer, you are online with RM Chat! Most office work is inputting of data mixed in with basic common sense!
(Although some joker will say RM office work is inputting of b/s with a lack of common sense.)
Do not under estimate being a post woman on your cv.
It shows (as the job ads say)
an ability to work in a team (sorting etc)
an ability to work on your own (delivery) and solve problems on your own that arise out there
stickability -working in the rain cold etc
you see the job through to a finish (I know this is a bug bear)
you can work to deadlines SD's etc
ability to work under stress (as unfortunately coming up to xmas you know to well)
you have reading skills/filing skills and basic clerical skills -739's, redirections, prepping, doing gone aways, recording undeliverables on return,
you have a working understanding of health and safety
you are physically fit
you can probably drive
you can work with the public
you are totally trustworthy
These are all attributes that employers like (except of course some RM managers who treat staff like cannon fodder).
What is out there is probably is part down to your location but you are probably more qualified (in practice though not paper) than you think.
Good luck.
Recently left RM after just over a year as FTC. Liked the job and people worked with were very helpful. But circumstances and other aspects of job dictated time to move on.
I'm a touch fortunate
1)I've got experience in another field so wasn't too hard for me to get another job.
2) I also come from a big city.
It is true to say that working conditions have gone backwards but thats another story. Lets move forward.
For yourself maybe look at job agencies.
Although the pay is not as good as direct employment because you are working for an agency that gets commission from you it makes them to find you work.
You can register with agencies while still employed and get a picture of what's out there. Then decide what it takes to get where you want.
I found that one of the themes of management to staff at RM was to keep insinuating they had two choices work harder or face the prospect of working for someone like TNT with worse working conditions etc. or lose their job.
It was almost as if the manager believed the staff were not fit for anything else. Total rubbish. And all it does is lower esteem so you feel scared to leave.
No real qualifications at least none that will get you a job?
Mmmmmmm!
Have you considered night school or part time training?
You have a computer, you are online with RM Chat! Most office work is inputting of data mixed in with basic common sense!
(Although some joker will say RM office work is inputting of b/s with a lack of common sense.)
Do not under estimate being a post woman on your cv.
It shows (as the job ads say)
an ability to work in a team (sorting etc)
an ability to work on your own (delivery) and solve problems on your own that arise out there
stickability -working in the rain cold etc
you see the job through to a finish (I know this is a bug bear)
you can work to deadlines SD's etc
ability to work under stress (as unfortunately coming up to xmas you know to well)
you have reading skills/filing skills and basic clerical skills -739's, redirections, prepping, doing gone aways, recording undeliverables on return,
you have a working understanding of health and safety
you are physically fit
you can probably drive
you can work with the public
you are totally trustworthy
These are all attributes that employers like (except of course some RM managers who treat staff like cannon fodder).
What is out there is probably is part down to your location but you are probably more qualified (in practice though not paper) than you think.
Good luck.
-
thechemisyshop
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 156
- Joined: 09 Oct 2011, 20:33
- Gender: Male
Re: New job
i had loads of jobs before joining Royal Mail ,, its the job i always wanted ,, my dad joined when i was born and when he retired he had done about 40 years ,, i done 3 years in a mail centre but it got closed down so i left and went on to do other things for about 2 years ,, when i moved to my current town i rejoined at the first opportunity ,, i had never done deliveries but slotted in fine ,,fast forward 16-17 years ,, ,, the job is unrecognisable as the one i joined and loved ,, i was virtually bullied and harassed out the door because i stood up for myself and spoke my mind ,, i was lucky enough to get IHR so left with enough money to set up my own business ,you could try applying for a job with one of royal mails rivals ,, i was signing on and they made me apply for jobs ,, i got offered 4 in about a month tnt ,yodel, agencys etc.. but i don't know if any of these would be any better than what your doing now
best advice i can give if its getting too bad ,, don't leave it too long , it affected my health for years
now ive never been happier ,try applying for other jobs ,its easier to get one when your still in work
best advice i can give if its getting too bad ,, don't leave it too long , it affected my health for years
now ive never been happier ,try applying for other jobs ,its easier to get one when your still in work
-
sophie97
- Posts: 169
- Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 15:10
- Gender: Female
Re: New job
Fulham14 wrote:Sorry to hear you in that situation.
Recently left RM after just over a year as FTC. Liked the job and people worked with were very helpful. But circumstances and other aspects of job dictated time to move on.
I'm a touch fortunate
1)I've got experience in another field so wasn't too hard for me to get another job.
2) I also come from a big city.
It is true to say that working conditions have gone backwards but thats another story. Lets move forward.
For yourself maybe look at job agencies.
Although the pay is not as good as direct employment because you are working for an agency that gets commission from you it makes them to find you work.
You can register with agencies while still employed and get a picture of what's out there. Then decide what it takes to get where you want.
I found that one of the themes of management to staff at RM was to keep insinuating they had two choices work harder or face the prospect of working for someone like TNT with worse working conditions etc. or lose their job.
It was almost as if the manager believed the staff were not fit for anything else. Total rubbish. And all it does is lower esteem so you feel scared to leave.
No real qualifications at least none that will get you a job?
Mmmmmmm!
Have you considered night school or part time training?
You have a computer, you are online with RM Chat! Most office work is inputting of data mixed in with basic common sense!
(Although some joker will say RM office work is inputting of b/s with a lack of common sense.)
Do not under estimate being a post woman on your cv.
It shows (as the job ads say)
an ability to work in a team (sorting etc)
an ability to work on your own (delivery) and solve problems on your own that arise out there
stickability -working in the rain cold etc
you see the job through to a finish (I know this is a bug bear)
you can work to deadlines SD's etc
ability to work under stress (as unfortunately coming up to xmas you know to well)
you have reading skills/filing skills and basic clerical skills -739's, redirections, prepping, doing gone aways, recording undeliverables on return,
you have a working understanding of health and safety
you are physically fit
you can probably drive
you can work with the public
you are totally trustworthy
These are all attributes that employers like (except of course some RM managers who treat staff like cannon fodder).
What is out there is probably is part down to your location but you are probably more qualified (in practice though not paper) than you think.
Good luck.
Thank you everyone, particularly Fulham ^ A* response, Will keep updated on any progress!
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: New job
One of our staff left to take a job with Citilink then Yodel, a few months on he's desperate to get back on with RM. The Citilink job had him out until 6-7pm as you have to do collections after deliveries, the collections earned him virtually nothing. With the Yodel job he does 9-10hr days.
He says if he knew now what he knew then he would stay at RM, happily work over every day and get paid a load more money.
He says if he knew now what he knew then he would stay at RM, happily work over every day and get paid a load more money.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Re: New job
Dont feel bullied out of this job. Youre not very specific about why you want to leave other than generally being depressed. All Ill say is "doing the job properly" is the BEST way to relieve stress in this job. Im not saying be lazy or slow, all im saying is do the job as RM preaches to us at WTL sessions (if you have them) Work only your contracted hours, use your trolley, take your break, dont rush and try not to feel like your duty is purely your responsibility if its too long to finish within your duty time. If it comes to the case that the managers try to pressure you then it should be reported to CWU rep instantly.sophie97 wrote:Just looking for unbiased feedback really from people that have left RM to work elsewhere, if they still post on here.
Currently at my wits end with the job and its getting me really depressed so I feel I need to start looking.
Ive got no real qualifications, at least none that would help get me a job. Have a decent work history on my CV and open to ideas.
Good luck !
-
Puppetmaster
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 03 Oct 2008, 19:56
- Gender: Male
Re: New job
Their is life outside RM ,if only you open your eyes, many senior staff had it good in the old days ,why they stayed so long ,now it is a different world.
Only you and your family can make the final decision.
I Suggest 1 sheet of paper to write down all the negative points about the job, can any of them be resolved ?
Then another bit of paper with all the positives aspect of the job.
if the Negatives outweigh the positives then you need to move on soon.
Like I say open your eyes to what's around you and you will find something," build it and they will come"
Stay where you are and with more negatives your health will suffer .
Think about your previous experience ,your skills ,your interest.
Good luck
Only you and your family can make the final decision.
I Suggest 1 sheet of paper to write down all the negative points about the job, can any of them be resolved ?
Then another bit of paper with all the positives aspect of the job.
if the Negatives outweigh the positives then you need to move on soon.
Like I say open your eyes to what's around you and you will find something," build it and they will come"
Stay where you are and with more negatives your health will suffer .
Think about your previous experience ,your skills ,your interest.
Good luck