ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Questions regarding getting into management,pay etc?!
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Questions regarding getting into management,pay etc?!
Im 24 and have been in the RM for a year and a half now, there was a lad who started 6 months before me that has applied to be graduated into doing management, think he's similar age to me. I dont ever get to chat to him because he usually works days I dont but as far as im aware he must have applied for graduation when there was a window of opportunity. Ive sort of thought about it but im not sure if I could deal with everything that comes with the job and don't really want to take my work home with me and work 12hrs a day 6 days a week like my manager does.
All I know from this lad is that he has had the heads up from RM to now proceed,I presume go on courses and go to different offices and he will be getting a payrise.
Question is, will he recieve a significant payrise now,or just a small increase on the hourly rate. Do you know anyone from your office thats done this and if I ever wanted to get into it in a year or two then can I apply anytime?
All I know from this lad is that he has had the heads up from RM to now proceed,I presume go on courses and go to different offices and he will be getting a payrise.
Question is, will he recieve a significant payrise now,or just a small increase on the hourly rate. Do you know anyone from your office thats done this and if I ever wanted to get into it in a year or two then can I apply anytime?
-
DirtyHarry
- Posts: 5051
- Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: London
-
maisymoo04
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: You dont want to no
Re: Questions regarding getting into management,pay etc?!
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Questions regarding getting into management,pay etc?!
12hrs a day 6 days a week your having a laughpostiewhite wrote:Im 24 and have been in the RM for a year and a half now, there was a lad who started 6 months before me that has applied to be graduated into doing management, think he's similar age to me. I dont ever get to chat to him because he usually works days I dont but as far as im aware he must have applied for graduation when there was a window of opportunity. Ive sort of thought about it but im not sure if I could deal with everything that comes with the job and don't really want to take my work home with me and work 12hrs a day 6 days a week like my manager does.
All I know from this lad is that he has had the heads up from RM to now proceed,I presume go on courses and go to different offices and he will be getting a payrise.
Question is, will he recieve a significant payrise now,or just a small increase on the hourly rate. Do you know anyone from your office thats done this and if I ever wanted to get into it in a year or two then can I apply anytime?
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Questions regarding getting into management,pay etc?!
Why? What site should I be on? Im sure some of your collegue friends have done this. I cant find a sub forum on this site that suits the topic.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Questions regarding getting into management,pay etc?!
I wouldn't be deterred into trying management by the naysayers on here, afterall you don't know until you try it. From what I've heard entry grade managers get an extra £120 a week in addition to full time hours, but they still have to cover walking and move around offices in the area at short notice, plus the baggage at the end of the day of stressing about covering duties the next day, as well as take an earful about cutting hours/performance issues from those above.
Something worth considering though, in the near future there might be a management cull and you could end up back as a postie so don't ruffle too many feathers.
Something worth considering though, in the near future there might be a management cull and you could end up back as a postie so don't ruffle too many feathers.
Last edited by datasaint on 28 Sep 2014, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
-
knackeredneedadayoff
- Posts: 342
- Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 18:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Questions regarding getting into management,pay etc?!
lol ,manager work
,there are two things you need 1,lack of soul and respect for anyone,2,Lego hands to help with fixture of coffee cup
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Questions regarding getting into management,pay etc?!
so after all that you think its worth doingnorm wrote:I wouldn't be deterred into trying management by the naysayers on here, afterall you don't know until you try it. From what I've heard entry grade managers get an extra £120 a week in addition to full time hours, but they still have to cover walking and move around offices in the area at short notice, plus the baggage at the end of the day of stressing about covering duties the next day, as well as take an earful about cutting hours/performance issues from those above.
Something worth considering though, in the near future there might be a management cull and you could end up back as a postie so don't ruffle too many feathers.
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Questions regarding getting into management,pay etc?!
Thanks Norm.
Nothing wrong to try and better yourself. We all slag how rubbish a postie's job can be now. At the end of the day its about looking after yourself,paying mortgage and setting yourself up in retirement. Fellow posties arn't gonna pay your mortgage for you so why mock me asking? At the end of the day the only person that is going to look out for you is yourself!!!
Nothing wrong to try and better yourself. We all slag how rubbish a postie's job can be now. At the end of the day its about looking after yourself,paying mortgage and setting yourself up in retirement. Fellow posties arn't gonna pay your mortgage for you so why mock me asking? At the end of the day the only person that is going to look out for you is yourself!!!
-
Whysoslowyehcfc
- Posts: 238
- Joined: 02 Apr 2014, 15:57
- Gender: Male
Re: Questions regarding getting into management,pay etc?!
Obviously don't like hard work, so jump ship 
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Questions regarding getting into management,pay etc?!
I never said I wanted to definately do it, I was mearly enquiring thats all, I might never do it,I probably isn't for me but its a possible window of opportuity to climb the ladder in the company I work for,thats all Im saying. I just wanted to find some ground or experiences from you who may have looked into it or know of a collegue that's doing it.aiden01 wrote:so after all that you think its worth doingnorm wrote:I wouldn't be deterred into trying management by the naysayers on here, afterall you don't know until you try it. From what I've heard entry grade managers get an extra £120 a week in addition to full time hours, but they still have to cover walking and move around offices in the area at short notice, plus the baggage at the end of the day of stressing about covering duties the next day, as well as take an earful about cutting hours/performance issues from those above.
Something worth considering though, in the near future there might be a management cull and you could end up back as a postie so don't ruffle too many feathers.![]()
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Questions regarding getting into management,pay etc?!
your choice mate but you will find out very quickly any friends you had in rm will be lost in no time.postiewhite wrote:I never said I wanted to definately do it, I was mearly enquiring thats all, I might never do it,I probably isn't for me but its a possible window of opportuity to climb the ladder in the company I work for,thats all Im saying. I just wanted to find some ground or experiences from you who may have looked into it or know of a collegue that's doing it.aiden01 wrote:so after all that you think its worth doingnorm wrote:I wouldn't be deterred into trying management by the naysayers on here, afterall you don't know until you try it. From what I've heard entry grade managers get an extra £120 a week in addition to full time hours, but they still have to cover walking and move around offices in the area at short notice, plus the baggage at the end of the day of stressing about covering duties the next day, as well as take an earful about cutting hours/performance issues from those above.
Something worth considering though, in the near future there might be a management cull and you could end up back as a postie so don't ruffle too many feathers.![]()
-
Mr T
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 27 Feb 2009, 17:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Questions regarding getting into management,pay etc?!
I did the management thing myself for 18 months till 4 years ago so any info I've got may be out of date. The way I got into it was just by mentioning it my DOM they first fetched me in to the office on DOM support which involved me doing the balance of staff and various other general office work plus deliveries when needed, that job I really liked but then stepped into the managers shoes while they were on leave.
The job itself for me was a bloody nightmare with the cutbacks and never having enough staff plus as you can see from some of the replies on here you have to try mange people like this who are just awkward for no reason. Pay wise it was only worth £85 extra a week on an acting up basis not sure what it would have been once made up to permanent as didn't stick around long enough. In the end I had enough and went back on deliveries and don't miss it one bit.
One piece of advice would be not to be a twat to the staff as you may want to go back to being a postie after a while. I wouldn't put anyone off having a go at it but for me after a while it started to drain my soul and found myself becoming the type of manager that I hated as it was the only way to get stuff done and that was when I decided to jack it in
The job itself for me was a bloody nightmare with the cutbacks and never having enough staff plus as you can see from some of the replies on here you have to try mange people like this who are just awkward for no reason. Pay wise it was only worth £85 extra a week on an acting up basis not sure what it would have been once made up to permanent as didn't stick around long enough. In the end I had enough and went back on deliveries and don't miss it one bit.
One piece of advice would be not to be a twat to the staff as you may want to go back to being a postie after a while. I wouldn't put anyone off having a go at it but for me after a while it started to drain my soul and found myself becoming the type of manager that I hated as it was the only way to get stuff done and that was when I decided to jack it in
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Questions regarding getting into management,pay etc?!
Thankyou for your honest reply.Mr T wrote:I did the management thing myself for 18 months till 4 years ago so any info I've got may be out of date. The way I got into it was just by mentioning it my DOM they first fetched me in to the office on DOM support which involved me doing the balance of staff and various other general office work plus deliveries when needed, that job I really liked but then stepped into the managers shoes while they were on leave.
The job itself for me was a bloody nightmare with the cutbacks and never having enough staff plus as you can see from some of the replies on here you have to try mange people like this who are just awkward for no reason. Pay wise it was only worth £85 extra a week on an acting up basis not sure what it would have been once made up to permanent as didn't stick around long enough. In the end I had enough and went back on deliveries and don't miss it one bit.
One piece of advice would be not to be a twat to the staff as you may want to go back to being a postie after a while. I wouldn't put anyone off having a go at it but for me after a while it started to drain my soul and found myself becoming the type of manager that I hated as it was the only way to get stuff done and that was when I decided to jack it in
Iam unsure I could do it,my current manager was an ex postie and I can see what he is up against with us lot,especially with the ones that have been there years and will refuse to do lapsing,or packets because of the time which of course needs to be cleared on the same day. There is no harm in enquiring on here and getting sensible replies/feedback from people like yourself and Norm. I dont think the money justifies the extra responsibility and would rather work extra just doing OT with no responsibility. I just wanted to know thats all. Its just a pity a few more on here weren't as helpful or if they didnt know then just don't reply.
thanks again!!
-
elias
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 03 Apr 2014, 11:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Questions regarding getting into management,pay etc?!
Speak to your DOM or a line manager. They may start off by using you as day off cover which is a good first step and you can see what you think of it before embarking on management course etc. Ignore the comments about losing all your friends in RM, just treat people as you would like to be treated yourself and you cannot go far wrong. Respect is a two way thing, you have to give some to warrant getting some back. As someone on here mentioned you have to pay your mortgage etc and unless the negative ones on here intend helping you pay it maybe they are best ignored - do what is right for YOU.