ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Duty offered to someone else - advice please

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Countrysider
Posts: 3
Joined: 23 Sep 2014, 19:06
Gender: Male

Duty offered to someone else - advice please

Post by Countrysider »

After a bit of advice please... I've worked for Royal Mail for getting on 20 years, started as p/t then full time floater then was put in office helping managers for a few years as A task. Don't think any of these changes were ever recorded officially - the office job was ended so went back on delivery about 2 years ago doing 4 days a week in local office. DOM phones me at and says I need to come in office and look at available duties. The one I'm doing is still available so I say I'll do that, she says she needs to phone someone with higher seniority first to see if they want it. They do want it. What can I do? Can they give the duty I've been doing for 2 years to someone else? My old job doesn't exist any more and the other jobs still free are miles away from where I'm based now. I've got a meeting on Friday to discuss it. Any advice would be great thanks.
philsdeals19
Posts: 62
Joined: 29 Jul 2010, 17:44
Gender: Male

Re: Duty offered to someone else - advice please

Post by philsdeals19 »

It's the way it is. We have all been there.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Duty offered to someone else - advice please

Post by rehabron »

Countrysider wrote:After a bit of advice please... I've worked for Royal Mail for getting on 20 years, started as p/t then full time floater then was put in office helping managers for a few years as A task. Don't think any of these changes were ever recorded officially - the office job was ended so went back on delivery about 2 years ago doing 4 days a week in local office. DOM phones me at and says I need to come in office and look at available duties. The one I'm doing is still available so I say I'll do that, she says she needs to phone someone with higher seniority first to see if they want it. They do want it. What can I do? Can they give the duty I've been doing for 2 years to someone else? My old job doesn't exist any more and the other jobs still free are miles away from where I'm based now. I've got a meeting on Friday to discuss it. Any advice would be great thanks.
This duty that you have ben doing for 2 years and has now been offered to someone with higher seniority why has it not been advertised as a vacant duty after 6 months after the original signed duty holder vacated it?
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4105
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: Duty offered to someone else - advice please

Post by ted_e_bear »

I know it's clutching at straws but I think there's a rule buried in the way forward agreement that states if you've been on a duty for 6 months then it becomes yours anyway.
Countrysider
Posts: 3
Joined: 23 Sep 2014, 19:06
Gender: Male

Re: Duty offered to someone else - advice please

Post by Countrysider »

Thank you so far - seem to have reached a stalemate as far as discussions go.