ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Childcare

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
pulling13
Posts: 31
Joined: 21 May 2014, 17:41
Gender: Male

Childcare

Post by pulling13 »

Hi everyone I have a problem
I have a 9 month old who is now in childcare twice a week while me and my wife work and on my day off I look after him for the day.
I asked rm three months ago with a formal letter asking for my days off to be notified two weeks minimum due to nursery and for my days not to be changed because the Rotas go up on Saturday when all the posties have left

Rm agreed to this but yesterday I came back and found they have changed my day off from Thursday to Wednesday which I can't even rearrange to attempt to change my day with nursery due to the late Rotas the nursery don't open Saturdays

I'm a reserve too which shouldn't be too much of a problem as the letter that was accepted
hatetheboss
Posts: 191
Joined: 11 Jul 2009, 04:39
Gender: Male
Location: Back Of Beyond

Re: Childcare

Post by hatetheboss »

Have you got anything in writing?
They are coming to take us away
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Childcare

Post by rehabron »

pulling13 wrote:Hi everyone I have a problem
I have a 9 month old who is now in childcare twice a week while me and my wife work and on my day off I look after him for the day.
I asked rm three months ago with a formal letter asking for my days off to be notified two weeks minimum due to nursery and for my days not to be changed because the Rotas go up on Saturday when all the posties have left

Rm agreed to this but yesterday I came back and found they have changed my day off from Thursday to Wednesday which I can't even rearrange to attempt to change my day with nursery due to the late Rotas the nursery don't open Saturdays

I'm a reserve too which shouldn't be too much of a problem as the letter that was accepted
You mention that 3 months ago you submitted a formal request for an advance warning of 2 weeks and for your days off not to be changed so what did the written reply state and who signed it?
You have a legal right to request flexible working and more so that this has now been extended as from 30th June and employer has to give the request serious consideration but there is no legal right to have it granted and the standard reply in normally operational needs.
The duty room would be resourcing a month in advance so unless there is a high absenteeism outwith their control then there should by no justifiable reason for implementing your request
Bring this matter to the attention of your union rep if you are a member for a follow up.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Childcare

Post by dvbuk55 »

pulling13 wrote:Hi everyone I have a problem
I have a 9 month old who is now in childcare twice a week while me and my wife work and on my day off I look after him for the day.
I asked rm three months ago with a formal letter asking for my days off to be notified two weeks minimum due to nursery and for my days not to be changed because the Rotas go up on Saturday when all the posties have left

Rm agreed to this but yesterday I came back and found they have changed my day off from Thursday to Wednesday which I can't even rearrange to attempt to change my day with nursery due to the late Rotas the nursery don't open Saturdays

I'm a reserve too which shouldn't be too much of a problem as the letter that was accepted
Why not request a fixed day off?
pulling13
Posts: 31
Joined: 21 May 2014, 17:41
Gender: Male

Re: Childcare

Post by pulling13 »

Hi thanks for your responses, I haven't had anything back in writing about this from the letter three months ago I think I'll follow it up tomorrow.

I went in and told them I can't change the day due to nursery and they had to sort it out, the manager tried to put it on me by saying I got the days wrong, they don't change days, the rota doesn't go up till Saturday, but had to back down when I had all reasonable answers to come back to,

They might have to loan me out on Wednesday as they are overstaffed I said that's fine but I'll need to be back by finish time, my day off is now changed back to Thursday as I kept my ground held.

I will ask for the reply to the letter in writing to back me up for future purposes
pulling13
Posts: 31
Joined: 21 May 2014, 17:41
Gender: Male

Re: Childcare

Post by pulling13 »

I requested a fixed day but was rejected because other reserves will probably want the same was the reply I got back so settled with wed, thu and fri
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Childcare

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

rehabron wrote: The duty room would be resourcing a month in advance so unless there is a high absenteeism outwith their control then there should by no justifiable reason for implementing your request
unfortunately in more than a few offices duties are only done a week in advance and in some like this posters only by the end of the week