ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Part-timer wants Xmas casual job for extra hours

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Reallywheelie
Posts: 14
Joined: 07 Jun 2014, 09:32
Gender: Female

Part-timer wants Xmas casual job for extra hours

Post by Reallywheelie »

Hello, I've been a Postwoman for just over three months. I'm new to this forum so please forgive any forum mistakes. I have a 24 hour contract and really need more hours. So, with Christmas approaching, I thought I'd be able to get some extra hours on a Sunday at a nearby Mail Centre over the Christmas period. Achieving this goal is proving harder than I envisaged. Does anyone have any experience of this situation? Should my manager phone the Mail Centre? Should I phone the Mail Centre? Should I apply for a Christmas Casual job online? Any advice appreciated. Thank you.
travisbickle
Posts: 66
Joined: 09 Feb 2010, 15:21
Gender: Male

Re: Part-timer wants Xmas casual job for extra hours

Post by travisbickle »

Reallywheelie wrote:Hello, I've been a Postwoman for just over three months. I'm new to this forum so please forgive any forum mistakes. I have a 24 hour contract and really need more hours. So, with Christmas approaching, I thought I'd be able to get some extra hours on a Sunday at a nearby Mail Centre over the Christmas period. Achieving this goal is proving harder than I envisaged. Does anyone have any experience of this situation? Should my manager phone the Mail Centre? Should I phone the Mail Centre? Should I apply for a Christmas Casual job online? Any advice appreciated. Thank you.
Not done it myself but a few colleague work afternoons/evenings at our mail centre at xmas time, they just rang up the mail centre and it went from there.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Part-timer wants Xmas casual job for extra hours

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

You could also make your own manager aware that you are wiling to do other overtime, working days off etc.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Re: Part-timer wants Xmas casual job for extra hours

Post by korky »

i'm guessing that you don't usually do any sorting at your current d/o,
is all you round fully prepped when you start now?
if not offer subtle hints that you can start earlier on o/t now, its cheaper as they'll be no overtime premium (for what that's worth) paying others to do it.
through my experience overtime is as much as you want this period, but much easier indoors or stay out late just doing parcels.
unless you're fit, doing more walking will lead to a miserable xmas as you'll be ballaxed
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Part-timer wants Xmas casual job for extra hours

Post by dvbuk55 »

Pre revisions it was pretty common for delivery staff to go sorting at the mail centres but now the later deliveries means people don't want to do it.
Reallywheelie
Posts: 14
Joined: 07 Jun 2014, 09:32
Gender: Female

Re: Part-timer wants Xmas casual job for extra hours

Post by Reallywheelie »

Thanks for the comments so far. My manager knows I'm looking for more hours. However, I am the newest member of staff at my DO so I assume that I am bottom of the pile when it comes to extra hours? To be fair, I do get a few extra hours here and there but it's still not enough. I'm trained on three different duties, and when I'm on one of them I always start at 7am, but I'll ask if I can do the same on the others. I thought the manager would jump at the chance of me working at another mail centre on a short-term casual xmas contract as Royal Mail could pay me less for that job! But maybe it doesn't work like that?
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Re: Part-timer wants Xmas casual job for extra hours

Post by Justanotherstar »

I go into the Mail Centre for Overtime (only on a 10 hour contract)...just call up the offices SR and tell them you want to do overtime there and what hours...

You need your manager to Email them with your details first though :)
Reallywheelie
Posts: 14
Joined: 07 Jun 2014, 09:32
Gender: Female

Re: Part-timer wants Xmas casual job for extra hours

Post by Reallywheelie »

Sorry, what's "SR"?
rick184
Posts: 62
Joined: 22 Apr 2007, 21:10

Re: Part-timer wants Xmas casual job for extra hours

Post by rick184 »

Find out who the staff resourcing manager us at the Mail centre and email/phone him/her. Keep your DOM in the loop as there will need to be a PSP entry in your office to pay your overtime.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Part-timer wants Xmas casual job for extra hours

Post by chrisj »

If you want something really steady then you should apply online for the seasonal xmas casuals and you will be working for RM through Angard - I think?

Although some people say that RM are now doing their own recruiting instead of using Angard - I am not sure. The pay rate will definitely be much lower than working overtime as a delivery posties in a Mail Centre.

I have tried the Mail Centre overtime thing in the past but it helps if your DO is attached to the Mail Centre otherwise the OT goes to the MC staff first, Delivery officers within the SpDO(?), some regular and favoured Temporary staff and then you might get some scraps, if lucky.

You will most likely get more overtime at Xmas time but it might not be consistent - it depends on your office make up and staffing levels, your flexibility and adaptability as regards working different rounds on OT extra delivery. Also, you might be asked to come in regularly early to throw off your own walk and there are extra packets to done... Options?
eggraidonmojo
Posts: 120
Joined: 06 Nov 2012, 16:44
Gender: Male

Re: Part-timer wants Xmas casual job for extra hours

Post by eggraidonmojo »

Reallywheelie wrote:Thanks for the comments so far. My manager knows I'm looking for more hours. However, I am the newest member of staff at my DO so I assume that I am bottom of the pile when it comes to extra hours?
You're not bottom of the pile, although sometimes it can be hard for part timers to get overtime (for example it is annoying to do early morning sorting for an hour and then not start your duty until an hour or so after you've finished your OT!). Most offices have some kind of system for allotting overtime which - in theory - is fair to everyone, regardless of seniority.

See if your office has any sheets you can put your name down on (rest day working sheet, early morning overtime, overtime volunteers to cover cut-offs/packets). I know this isn't mail centre work, but usually there is a fair amount of it around at this time of year and in the run-up to xmas.
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Re: Part-timer wants Xmas casual job for extra hours

Post by Justanotherstar »

Reallywheelie wrote:Sorry, what's "SR"?

Sorry lol, Staff resourcing
Reallywheelie
Posts: 14
Joined: 07 Jun 2014, 09:32
Gender: Female

Re: Part-timer wants Xmas casual job for extra hours

Post by Reallywheelie »

I've tried applying online for the Xmas casual job but the system won't let me go further than registering interest in the job. The system just keep showing my current 24 hour contract recruitment details and won't let me apply for this other role! Looks like I'll have to wait till Monday to try and contact the Xmas recruitment person at the mail centre - once I've found out who that is! I want to work more hours...Royal Mail need more staff...This should be easy...argh. p.s. apart from this issue I'm very happy with my new job as a postie :)
Reallywheelie
Posts: 14
Joined: 07 Jun 2014, 09:32
Gender: Female

Re: Part-timer wants Xmas casual job for extra hours

Post by Reallywheelie »

Just an update, in case you know anyone else in the same situation...

So, it turns out that I can't apply for a Christmas Casual post if I am already employed by Royal Mail - even if I'm only part time - as I can't have two pay numbers. The only way to try and get more hours over the Christmas period (and I'm assuming at any time) is for my manager to come to an agreement with the Mail Centre manager - it's a local-to-local agreement. I do hope some arrangement is made otherwise I do think this is a very odd situation to discriminate against your own staff - as they are actively advertising for staff. I am, of course, free to apply to any other company for part time work - but I want to do my extra hours for the company I currently support!
Reallywheelie
Posts: 14
Joined: 07 Jun 2014, 09:32
Gender: Female

Re: Part-timer wants Xmas casual job for extra hours

Post by Reallywheelie »

Final update: I never managed to get extra hours over Christmas at any mail centres. I'm still flummoxed by this but hey ho, nowt I can do now. However, I did manage to get extra hours by volunteering to do Sunday collections during December - so all was not lost :)