ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

chances of a full time job

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
yubin282
Posts: 993
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
Gender: Male

chances of a full time job

Post by yubin282 »

having worked for RM for 10 years in november14 I'm asking others part timers how long on average we have to wait to even be in with a chance of a full time job
spen
Posts: 531
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 19:53
Gender: Male

Re: chances of a full time job

Post by spen »

Youl wait your entire life
yubin282
Posts: 993
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
Gender: Male

Re: chances of a full time job

Post by yubin282 »

thought so
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: chances of a full time job

Post by Darren Bent »

about 7 years ago I applied for full time reserve and got it, then no more full timers hired until last year. Just to give you an rough idea what to expect. It is not good :(
Dalelad
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 62
Joined: 09 May 2013, 21:10
Gender: Male

Re: chances of a full time job

Post by Dalelad »

This jobs for parents that want to drop kids off at school, do a few hours work and then pick um up after school. I wish RM put that in the job advert when I applied. I'd have thought twice about becoming a postie. Won't be long till im back in full time employment elsewhere. I Know of several others in my DO that are actively seeking new full time jobs too. We are 10 a penny unfortunately and easily replaced.
rick184
Posts: 62
Joined: 22 Apr 2007, 21:10

Re: chances of a full time job

Post by rick184 »

May be more FT opportunities in Mail Centres and RDCs than delivery offices.
Lord Hereford
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 26
Joined: 27 Dec 2010, 20:54
Gender: Male

Re: chances of a full time job

Post by Lord Hereford »

rick184 wrote:May be more FT opportunities in Mail Centres and RDCs than delivery offices.
F**k all in mail centres, unless you want to work for Wankgard on a zero-hours contract.
Rory
Posts: 90
Joined: 09 Aug 2012, 12:42
Gender: Male

Re: chances of a full time job

Post by Rory »

Difference is, the wage you get for part time is still more than you would get for working 40 hours on minimum wage in a factory or some other awful place. Even full time posties get more than managers of said minimum wage employees.
dids620
Posts: 80
Joined: 02 Mar 2010, 15:23
Gender: Male

Re: chances of a full time job

Post by dids620 »

took me just under 10 years and that was only because the woman who was more senior didn't want it as the duty required occasional driving.
yubin282
Posts: 993
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
Gender: Male

Re: chances of a full time job

Post by yubin282 »

it was the other way round for me someone got a full time job ahead of me and a few others because they can drive, but they've got half the length of service
Rumple
Posts: 429
Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 10:45
Gender: Male

Re: chances of a full time job

Post by Rumple »

10 years and waiting. F'in joke. I do plenty overtime every week and lose out on holiday weeks because of the p/t contract. Always in Royal Mails favour.
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Re: chances of a full time job

Post by korky »

lcook282 wrote:having worked for RM for 10 years in november14 I'm asking others part timers how long on average we have to wait to even be in with a chance of a full time job
see my post http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... =1&t=65003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
your colleagues can also stab you in the back
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: chances of a full time job

Post by arnold cheshire »

Rumple wrote:10 years and waiting. F'in joke. I do plenty overtime every week and lose out on holiday weeks because of the p/t contract. Always in Royal Mails favour.
can you please explain how you lose out on holiday weeks ?
Dalelad
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 62
Joined: 09 May 2013, 21:10
Gender: Male

Re: chances of a full time job

Post by Dalelad »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:
Rumple wrote:10 years and waiting. F'in joke. I do plenty overtime every week and lose out on holiday weeks because of the p/t contract. Always in Royal Mails favour.
can you please explain how you lose out on holiday weeks ?
What they mean is we only get paid our contracted hours for a week off i.e. I only get paid 26 hours, regardless of how many hours O/T I do, while a full timer gets paid 39 hours. I've heard somewhere that legislation may change and companies will have to pay part timers more holiday pay to take into account O/T. I used to work for a company that paid holiday pay based on average daily earnings. I got average over £100 per day so when on hol, thats what I got. Them were the days! Needless to say they eventually made us all redundant and then started using people on a self employed basis.
Rumple
Posts: 429
Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 10:45
Gender: Male

Re: chances of a full time job

Post by Rumple »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:
Rumple wrote:10 years and waiting. F'in joke. I do plenty overtime every week and lose out on holiday weeks because of the p/t contract. Always in Royal Mails favour.
can you please explain how you lose out on holiday weeks ?
Because my holiday pay doesn't reflect my actual working week (about 45 hours). When on holiday I get 32 hours. 13 hours difference.