ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

claiming travel time as overtime?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
freeindeed
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 12
Joined: 07 Jan 2014, 17:39
Gender: Male

claiming travel time as overtime?

Post by freeindeed »

I have been sent out to a rural office this week, it takes me an extra 25mins each way from my usual place of work. I know i can claim the fuel, but can I claim the extra 50 mins per day as overtime?

Thanks.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: claiming travel time as overtime?

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

freeindeed wrote:I have been sent out to a rural office this week, it takes me an extra 25mins each way from my usual place of work. I know i can claim the fuel, but can I claim the extra 50 mins per day as overtime?

Thanks.

you would need to get your dom to agree to pay you for the OT for the travel time, if he wont simply turn up at your own DO at your normal start time and ask for transport or a van to get you to the other DO and same to get you back to your do so as you can finish at your normal finish time in your own DO

Also as your seem to be using your own car, have you changed your insurance policy to include personal business use? which would be in addition to the commuting part which you should already have in your policy
Himaggen
Posts: 993
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40

Re: claiming travel time as overtime?

Post by Himaggen »

Two ways to look at it.
  1. You start at your usual start time at your usual work place and finish at your usual work place at your usual finish time, travelling between both work places only in Royal Mail approved transportation.
    You do not claim overtime
  2. You start at your usual work place 25 minutes prior to the agreed time of attendance at the rural office. You travel using Royal Mail approved transportation to that office, undertake your agreed work and return to your usual work place, (also in Royal Mail approved transportation).
    You book all hours between start and end.
Simple discussion with Manager, if you are not paying me travel time, I will be adopting 1.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: claiming travel time as overtime?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Actually I would say definitely claim it as overtime, but as ZX says make sure the DOM agrees. The agreements states that you should start and finish at your DO in normal duty time, which in effect means they are paying you during your traveling time. If you go over with permission then you should still be paid for the travel time.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: claiming travel time as overtime?

Post by Hitcher »

You also need business insurance if you're using your own car to get to the other office as your insurance will only cover you driving to your usual place of work.
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: claiming travel time as overtime?

Post by coxie »

You are entitled to turn up at your own office, however if you don't mind driving to work there as you would drive to your own office then you can claim mileage expenses, you might be able to reach and agreement with your dom that you take it as overtime but the official procedure is that you claim mileage which I think is 45p per mile starting from your own office. If you claim the mileage then I think you travel in your own time which means you get up a bit earlier. If you don't want to do that and want Royal Mail to transport you and claim nothing then turn up at your own office for your start time.