ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

35hr contract to FT...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
lew1275
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 30
Joined: 10 Sep 2008, 20:42
Gender: Male

35hr contract to FT...

Post by lew1275 »

Hi all,

There was a thread posted on here recently that I cannot find but said something along the lines of 'if you are on a part time contract but have been working full time hours for a set period of time you should have your hours made up'- is this correct? I believe this is a CWU agreement but correct me if I'm wrong. Is this available in writing?

Basically I'm on a 35 hour contract as an annual leave reserve but have been working full time in an SPDO for the last 5 years. It's annoying as my hours still haven't been made up and I miss out by having a lower take home rate when on a/l, bonuses/ shares etc...despite doing the exact amount of work as my colleagues. I have to book the remaining 4 hours as 'vacancy' overtime every single week.

Thanks for any advice! :nana
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: 35hr contract to FT...

Post by rehabron »

lew1275 wrote:Hi all,

There was a thread posted on here recently that I cannot find but said something along the lines of 'if you are on a part time contract but have been working full time hours for a set period of time you should have your hours made up'- is this correct? I believe this is a CWU agreement but correct me if I'm wrong. Is this available in writing?

Basically I'm on a 35 hour contract as an annual leave reserve but have been working full time in an SPDO for the last 5 years. It's annoying as my hours still haven't been made up and I miss out by having a lower take home rate when on a/l, bonuses/ shares etc...despite doing the exact amount of work as my colleagues. I have to book the remaining 4 hours as 'vacancy' overtime every single week.

Thanks for any advice! :nana
This was one of the grey areas included in the recent AFGS agreement and open to various interpretations,
Basically it was employees who had continually been working hours over their contractual hours that this would be monitored after 6 months from the acceptance of this agreement for their contractual hours to be increased to reflect the hours worked in the 6 month period.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: 35hr contract to FT...

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

But also keep an eye on this thread as you may be able to backdate your holiday pay back to 1998 http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 15&t=64210" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
lollollol
Posts: 155
Joined: 27 Sep 2011, 19:24
Gender: Male

Re: 35hr contract to FT...

Post by lollollol »

I was on a 35 hour contract doing a rural duty with a delivery span of 5 hrs 30 mins with no IPS... used to use it my advantage... would cut off on numerous occasions... leaving the OT for someone else... my DIM would plead with me to complete sometimes because of sickness... I used to say 'not today, it's raining'... :left:

Eventually a number of us were made full-time (this was about 2 years ago, different IR climate then), but I miss those days when I could cut-off at 1pm... :sad:

You have a number of options available to you... play hard-ball and cut-off sometimes... leave them guessing on a daily basis... may or may not work... write to your DIM informing him/her you have been doing 39 hours a week for a while and as the hours are there you should be made-up... get a written response as to why they won't make you up and use this as the basis for a grievance...
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: 35hr contract to FT...

Post by Barbel »

Same here. I'm on a 24 hour contract and I've just started a rural job where I'm doing over 40 hours a week. Just a pain keep having to keep a note of it every day and chasing it up when it doesn't appear in your wage slip.