ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Hoildays.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jordanparker92
Posts: 13
Joined: 08 Jun 2014, 17:36
Gender: Male

Hoildays.

Post by Jordanparker92 »

Hello, I started on the 7th of October 2013 on a 6 month contract which brought me through till April. In between them 6 months I only had 3 days holiday of which were Pre booked ( Mentioned them in my interview ) So basically I've only had 3 days holiday in them 6 months? Nobody has said anything to me, so I'm not sure what to do. I Also got given another 6 month contract in April which takes me through till October I asked for a holiday form and they basically said there has been people here 20 years, so you've got no chance of getting any. but surely I have rights to take how many days holiday I get between April - October in my 6 month contract? Any help would be great, thanks Jordan.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Hoildays.

Post by dvbuk55 »

Jordanparker92 wrote:Hello, I started on the 7th of October 2013 on a 6 month contract which brought me through till April. In between them 6 months I only had 3 days holiday of which were Pre booked ( Mentioned them in my interview ) So basically I've only had 3 days holiday in them 6 months? Nobody has said anything to me, so I'm not sure what to do. I Also got given another 6 month contract in April which takes me through till October I asked for a holiday form and they basically said there has been people here 20 years, so you've got no chance of getting any. but surely I have rights to take how many days holiday I get between April - October in my 6 month contract? Any help would be great, thanks Jordan.
Does your contract not say what your holiday entitlement is?
albebb
Posts: 83
Joined: 18 Feb 2011, 18:16
Gender: Male

Re: Hoildays.

Post by albebb »

your basic entitlement will be 4and a half weeks( so 22.5 if you work a 5 day week) but in the first year of employment you need to accure it
Accrual system
An employer can use an accrual system to work out a worker’s leave during the first year of the job. Under this system, a worker gets one twelfth of their leave in each month. So by the third month they’d be entitled to a quarter of of their total leave...
Jordanparker92
Posts: 13
Joined: 08 Jun 2014, 17:36
Gender: Male

Re: Hoildays.

Post by Jordanparker92 »

I've looked through my contract, but all it says is that if I leave that I will have to take my remanding outstanding holidays. ( Along them lines )
albebb
Posts: 83
Joined: 18 Feb 2011, 18:16
Gender: Male

Re: Hoildays.

Post by albebb »

do you work for royal mail as an opg?
Jordanparker92
Posts: 13
Joined: 08 Jun 2014, 17:36
Gender: Male

Re: Hoildays.

Post by Jordanparker92 »

I don't work as a OPG, Nope.
albebb
Posts: 83
Joined: 18 Feb 2011, 18:16
Gender: Male

Re: Hoildays.

Post by albebb »

sorry then not sure as all info I know is in relation to royal mail employees, what is your job title then?
Jordanparker92
Posts: 13
Joined: 08 Jun 2014, 17:36
Gender: Male

Re: Hoildays.

Post by Jordanparker92 »

Sorry, thought OPG was Sorting e.g ? Job title is Postman 25 hour contract, so straight in collect the mail and go out delivering.
albebb
Posts: 83
Joined: 18 Feb 2011, 18:16
Gender: Male

Re: Hoildays.

Post by albebb »

ok then
your basic entitlement will be 4and a half weeks( so 22.5 if you work a 5 day week) but in the first year of employment you need to accure it
Accrual system

An employer can use an accrual system to work out a worker’s leave during the first year of the job. Under this system, a worker gets one twelfth of their leave in each month. So by the third month they’d be entitled to a quarter of of their total leave...
Jordanparker92
Posts: 13
Joined: 08 Jun 2014, 17:36
Gender: Male

Re: Hoildays.

Post by Jordanparker92 »

Ok thanks, so I've been there 10 months so far, how many days holiday would that work out at roughly? Thanks for your help.
albebb
Posts: 83
Joined: 18 Feb 2011, 18:16
Gender: Male

Re: Hoildays.

Post by albebb »

if your on a five day week about 18.5or 19
saddlerposty
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 248
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
Gender: Male

Re: Hoildays.

Post by saddlerposty »

Jordanparker92 wrote:Sorry, thought OPG was Sorting e.g ? Job title is Postman 25 hour contract, so straight in collect the mail and go out delivering.
25 hours a week :shock: go in collect mail and go straight out :shock:
and you want holiday as well? next you'll be wanting to get paid every week, :no no
how are we ever going to survive as a competitive business if we all we is employ people on the take. :mad