ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Question...Accruing OT as Leave.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Thunderthighs
Posts: 990
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Question...Accruing OT as Leave.

Post by Thunderthighs »

I'm sure I saw something from RM about, "NOT being able to add up O/T and use it as days off/annual leave" etc. Had to be taken as money etc, if I recall correctly.
Eg....Having a 4hr working day, but doing 6hrs and adding up the extra 2 hrs per day as Leave.
So in essence, working 2 days, getting one off...ad infinitum.
I'd be very grateful if anyone could direct me to where this may be listed, or correct me if I'm wrongly informed.

Additonally, can this accrued amount of O/T be used to justify a Family Friendly/Child Minder/Sole Income/Single Parent situation???
I know from 1st July we are all allowed - in THEORY at least - the Family Friendly deal...but practically, I can see more barriers than a 400mt race!!!
Thanks for any info, pointers or links towards getting the correct info I require.
Ta!
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: Question...Accruing OT as Leave.

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

Sounds like basically a variation on Wallington weeks, where OPGs would extra hours over 5 weeks to get the 6th week off paid.
Thunderthighs
Posts: 990
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Re: Question...Accruing OT as Leave.

Post by Thunderthighs »

Ok, makes sense the way u put it..but..Just wondering why Ive seen a RM edict that its not acceptable.
And OT must be taken as Payment only.
Saw that somewhere recently.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Question...Accruing OT as Leave.

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

There is no agreement on TOIL or banking of hours for OPG grades,

We have had the family friendly deal for a long while, the new change in the law has not given you any more right than you previously had with rm with regards to family friendly though it can still be refused
royalmailslave
Posts: 126
Joined: 20 Sep 2010, 17:09
Gender: Male

Re: Question...Accruing OT as Leave.

Post by royalmailslave »

IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:Sounds like basically a variation on Wallington weeks, where OPGs would extra hours over 5 weeks to get the 6th week off paid.

I'd love to give the a go.....combined with your annual leave (assuming you had max) you could have a week off most months
*xen*
Posts: 53
Joined: 20 Feb 2012, 18:52
Gender: Male

Re: Question...Accruing OT as Leave.

Post by *xen* »

We have an informal arrangement in our DO to the effect that if you work your day off you can accrue extra leave days.

This is probably against the rules but since it suits both parties (management and posties) it goes on.
That money talks,
I'll not deny,
I heard it once,
It said 'goodbye'.
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: Question...Accruing OT as Leave.

Post by NWpostie »

It requires trust on both side for this to work. there is precious little of that in other offices, since it seemed to work at yours it must have been a pragmatic arrange which is working for now. since its not official a new DOM might decide to throw it out and you lose those days off, unless you can persuade that its in both of your mutual interest to maintain the status quo.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
Thunderthighs
Posts: 990
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Re: Question...Accruing OT as Leave.

Post by Thunderthighs »

royalmailslave...This is what its getting to, One week off in around every 4. Works GREAT for the person involved, NOT for the people that have to cover for them.
So...there's a few lads asking, WHY NOT ME TOO?
Don't blame 'em as its something we all need to be aware of.
Why is it just a Chosen Few? If its AVAILABLE FOR ALL, then it should be...FOR ALL.
albebb
Posts: 83
Joined: 18 Feb 2011, 18:16
Gender: Male

Re: Question...Accruing OT as Leave.

Post by albebb »

some offices have a system of 3 weeks on 1 week off, office wide
Thunderthighs
Posts: 990
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Re: Question...Accruing OT as Leave.

Post by Thunderthighs »

Was informed today, that the person in question, when asked, replied...."I do an hour extra every day, and build it up to take as leave."

I was under the impression that this was NOT possible under RM Guidelines, and it had to be taken as payment, and I'm sure I've read that in RM literature somewhere.

If it IS the case, then, ALL of the office could do the same, as a precedent has been set, and we have a "Fair and Equal" employer, dont we?

A few lads with new born's/young children want to take advantage of this "system" and the Family Friendly one, so watch this space...
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Question...Accruing OT as Leave.

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Thunderthighs wrote:Was informed today, that the person in question, when asked, replied...."I do an hour extra every day, and build it up to take as leave."

I was under the impression that this was NOT possible under RM Guidelines, and it had to be taken as payment, and I'm sure I've read that in RM literature somewhere.

If it IS the case, then, ALL of the office could do the same, as a precedent has been set, and we have a "Fair and Equal" employer, dont we?

A few lads with new born's/young children want to take advantage of this "system" and the Family Friendly one, so watch this space...
The law changed recently, flexible hours like family friendly ones can now be requested by anyone not just people with children
Thunderthighs
Posts: 990
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Re: Question...Accruing OT as Leave.

Post by Thunderthighs »

zx135, yep I realise that, BUT it's this using O/T as Leave that's confusing. I'm sure I've read by RM this ISN'T acceptable/possible.
So, this begs the question...How is it being undertaken/done?
Whats good for the goose is good for the gander, the lads feel.

Someone whos Part Time, goes from Term Time, to Family Friendly...then ALSO gets O/T as Leave seems to be taking the mickey a bit...or a lot.
Can't think of any other colleagues who are getting around 50 days leave olf per annum..except the ones on Term Time.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Question...Accruing OT as Leave.

Post by clashcityrocker »

Thunderthighs wrote:Was informed today, that the person in question, when asked, replied...."I do an hour extra every day, and build it up to take as leave."

I was under the impression that this was NOT possible under RM Guidelines, and it had to be taken as payment, and I'm sure I've read that in RM literature somewhere.
I don't know where you think you have read it.
Certainly many years ago I worked with a bloke who did exactly this to go back to Pakistan for 3 months every year.
If you want a quick and simple answer ask Moya.
Surely the flexibility agreement is accrued overtime being taken as leave in a microcosm.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Question...Accruing OT as Leave.

Post by clashcityrocker »

From the new Sunday opening agreement:

Employees volunteering to work on a Sunday as part of this trial will, at their discretion have three options to choose from to compensate for the hours they perform on a Sunday:

Option A – Existing Sunday Scheduled Attendance rates paid for the time worked. The same rate is applicable to both FT and PT employees and will attract paid MR in line with the Way Forward Agreement.

Option B – The hours of attendance will be multiplied by 1.5 ( 60 minutes equals a 90 minute credit ) to give a total for the day which can be accrued on an ongoing basis and taken as additional annual leave in line with local leave arrangements.
Option C – The hours of attendance will be multiplied by 1.5 ( 60 minutes equals a 90 minute credit ) to give a total for the day which can then be used to form part of the normal weekly attendance with the residual hours scheduled over no more that 4 days.
All of the options are applicable to FT and PT employees on an equal basis.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Thunderthighs
Posts: 990
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Re: Question...Accruing OT as Leave.

Post by Thunderthighs »

Thanks Mr Rocker. But this is Monday - Friday role, VERY, VERY SELDOM a Saturday and Totally No Sundays...