ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Lapsing & streaming

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
fly-catchers
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 573
Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
Gender: Male

Lapsing & streaming

Post by fly-catchers »

It seems mad that you have to lapse and them either stream part of your own round, or the bit you pick up to complete! :roll:
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Lapsing & streaming

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

fly-catchers wrote:It seems mad that you have to lapse and them either stream part of your own round, or the bit you pick up to complete! :roll:

Streaming is not allowed under any circumstances
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Lapsing & streaming

Post by Hitcher »

zx135 wrote:
fly-catchers wrote:It seems mad that you have to lapse and them either stream part of your own round, or the bit you pick up to complete! :roll:

Streaming is not allowed under any circumstances
Says who?

Lino's tell us they've permission from above that allows it.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12178
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Lapsing & streaming

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Hitcher wrote:
zx135 wrote:
fly-catchers wrote:It seems mad that you have to lapse and them either stream part of your own round, or the bit you pick up to complete! :roll:

Streaming is not allowed under any circumstances
Says who?

Lino's tell us they've permission from above that allows it.
And when the sh*t hits the fan, unless you've got it in writing (and signed) the DOM is just going to turn around and deny giving you permission
Ray Von
Posts: 15
Joined: 14 Jan 2013, 09:46
Gender: Male

Re: Lapsing & streaming

Post by Ray Von »

What's streaming?
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Lapsing & streaming

Post by wannabeek »

Hitcher wrote:
zx135 wrote:
fly-catchers wrote:It seems mad that you have to lapse and them either stream part of your own round, or the bit you pick up to complete! :roll:

Streaming is not allowed under any circumstances
Says who?

Lino's tell us they've permission from above that allows it.
I don't think you'll ever get that in writing as it's definitely not allowed in any circumstances. However, I have done it on a few occasions in the past and every time I have made sure that I have had specific instructions to do that with reliable witnesses present. We all know it's not allowed but if the managers want to make that order then that's up to them as far as I'm concerned and their neck on the line.

The most extreme time I had to do it was a Saturday before Mothering Sunday, I only had less than an hour before the office closed and a whole duty hadn't gone out (this was back in the days of bikes) and he said, 'just whizz around, take the Mother's Day cards and leave everything else'.

*edit - 'streaming of mail' is the term given to prioritising what you deliver and not delivering things which appear to be less important. It is totally not allowed because once it arrives at the Delivery Office, every item is deemed to be 1st class and should be delivered that day
CAMPINGBLUNDERER
Posts: 182
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 14:37
Gender: Male

Re: Lapsing & streaming

Post by CAMPINGBLUNDERER »

We were told this week that we have got to lapse a 4 hr duty between 4 deep rural duties every day now till September , given the usual " mail volumes dropping " spiel and told to cover the lapsing first and then stream the mail to the farms across the duty , we asked if that was wrong as that would indicate that we were planning to cut off from the start of the duty rather than at the end and the reason given was that the Dom only has to enter the total number of addresses missed rather than where they were missed and no we would not have that in writing.

Needless to say we are all going to cut off at the end of the delivery rather than be conducted for withholding mail , I can see some farms now only getting mail on Mon / Tues over the summer , hey ho roll on the complaints !!
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Lapsing & streaming

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

from a previous post, still looking for the actual ltb


Dear Colleagues,



During the recent ADR briefings the subject of ‘Streaming or Skimming’ of mail was raised by a number of reps and subsequently raised by me at the NDG. Royal Mail’s response was that they were unaware of it and it was only anecdotal, they needed firmer ‘evidence’. Therefore could reps please supply the dept via email with any instances where this has occurred or is occurring, naming the office and the manager of the office and how frequently this has occurred, and how the streaming actually occurs. In some cases the decision of what not to deliver has been left to OPGs which in itself is unacceptable. In other instances it forms part of absorption/lapsing where an OPG is taken off a delivery to allow others to absorb the delivery by only delivering the 1c and leaving everything else in the frame.



There is also an issue where offices have completed revisions and have not received the lump sum payments or the payments have been delayed. Could reps also provide the dept with evidence of this occurring once again naming the office and the manager, and in those cases where payments were delayed how long they were delayed.



Finally it has also been reported that units have signed off agreements at phase 4 only for the ‘agreement’ to be referred to a higher authority who has subsequently sent the agreement back as un-agreed and requesting further savings. Once again could reps please supply the dept with the name of the office, how many times this has occurred and what was the response from the higher authority.



Your urgent attention and response to this request would be greatly appreciated.



Please send your replies to bgibson@cwu.org no later than Thursday 11th November 2010.



Thanks



Bob Gibson
CWU Assistant Secretary - Outdoor

Outdoor Postal Dept
CWU HQ
150 The Broadway
Wimbledon
London SW19 1RX
Tel: 0208 971 7276
Fax: 0208 254 8577
CWU Website: http://www.cwu.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.cwu.org/beyond-deliveries-2010.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Lapsing & streaming

Post by datasaint »

I do a fair bit of streaming, a streaming piss at the end of my walk. :nana
Jamesethefirst
Posts: 146
Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 17:48
Gender: Male

Re: Lapsing & streaming

Post by Jamesethefirst »

norm wrote:I do a fair bit of streaming, a streaming piss at the end of my walk. :nana
I thought that was taken before you went out,or the day you started....
GoingRoundTheBend
Posts: 108
Joined: 25 Jun 2014, 20:09
Gender: Male

Re: Lapsing & streaming

Post by GoingRoundTheBend »

Jamesethefirst wrote:
norm wrote:I do a fair bit of streaming, a streaming piss at the end of my walk. :nana
I thought that was taken before you went out,or the day you started....
I must have a weak one then as I need streaming before I go out and when I get back :oops:
wongpongrog
Posts: 28
Joined: 06 Mar 2011, 14:40
Gender: Male

Re: Lapsing & streaming

Post by wongpongrog »

norm wrote:I do a fair bit of streaming, a streaming piss at the end of my walk. :nana
in our office they cut so much nobody to do 9 oclock specials manager tells you scan undeliverable and take out with delivery :
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12178
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Lapsing & streaming

Post by SpacePhoenix »

wongpongrog wrote:
norm wrote:I do a fair bit of streaming, a streaming piss at the end of my walk. :nana
in our office they cut so much nobody to do 9 oclock specials manager tells you scan undeliverable and take out with delivery :
If scanned in the office that'll easily show on the system as no delivery being attempted, by the GPS data from the PDA.
BarnsleyLackey
Posts: 349
Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
Gender: Male

Re: Lapsing & streaming

Post by BarnsleyLackey »

wannabeek wrote:
Hitcher wrote:
zx135 wrote:
fly-catchers wrote:It seems mad that you have to lapse and them either stream part of your own round, or the bit you pick up to complete! :roll:

Streaming is not allowed under any circumstances
Says who?

Lino's tell us they've permission from above that allows it.
I don't think you'll ever get that in writing as it's definitely not allowed in any circumstances. However, I have done it on a few occasions in the past and every time I have made sure that I have had specific instructions to do that with reliable witnesses present. We all know it's not allowed but if the managers want to make that order then that's up to them as far as I'm concerned and their neck on the line.

The most extreme time I had to do it was a Saturday before Mothering Sunday, I only had less than an hour before the office closed and a whole duty hadn't gone out (this was back in the days of bikes) and he said, 'just whizz around, take the Mother's Day cards and leave everything else'.

*edit - 'streaming of mail' is the term given to prioritising what you deliver and not delivering things which appear to be less important. It is totally not allowed because once it arrives at the Delivery Office, every item is deemed to be 1st class and should be delivered that day

This may sound simple, but does it come under streaming - A manager telling you to take the mail and leave oversized packets? As a way of getting done on time.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Lapsing & streaming

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

yes
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.