ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Bitten by dog today, what do i do next?
-
manboss
- Posts: 110
- Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 15:55
- Gender: Male
Bitten by dog today, what do i do next?
Well as title says, was bit on the back of the thigh by a dog today. The story is, i approached the house, went through the front gate, was at the front door just about to post the mail and two dogs silently came from around the side of the house and went around my legs and as I tried to leave, one of them bit me from behind, kinda felt like a bee sting, hurt for a bit, a good half an hour, by the time I got chance to check what damage had been done there was no bleeding, but the skin had been broken and looked like it had been bleeding, it's only a small mark but anyway when I got back to the office after the walk there was no management, they had all gone for the day, but when I got home I phoned the GP and as I take immune suppressants for a health condition, the GP gave me some antibiotics. So what is the procedure, I'm off anyway tomorrow but should I phone the office to tell them of the bite and should the police even be told? only been in the job a month and nobody has mentioned anything about procedures for dog bites.
-
Sidley
- Posts: 653
- Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 22:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Bitten by dog today, what do i do next?
Inform the bosses ASAP.
-
dblad
- Posts: 448
- Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 18:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Bitten by dog today, what do i do next?
Pray we don't get a full moon
-
Glenno
- Posts: 1491
- Joined: 05 Jun 2007, 13:12
Re: Bitten by dog today, what do i do next?
speak to Rep and or Safety rep, it should go strait onto ERICA and the walk log should be updated, also a letter to the customer explaining what has happened and for them to make provision to control dogs, also this is Dog Awareness week, mngt should be fully clued up on this and huddle all occurencies to the office

-
Son Of God
- Posts: 188
- Joined: 21 Sep 2013, 13:34
- Gender: Male
Re: Bitten by dog today, what do i do next?
As well as reporting to management and reps and onto the Erica, this should now also be reported to the Police.
-
halfull
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 858
- Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Bitten by dog today, what do i do next?
id follow this post in exact order!Son Of God wrote:As well as reporting to management and reps and onto the Erica, this should now also be reported to the Police.
hope wound is not too bad! get well soon!
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: Bitten by dog today, what do i do next?
Inform police/pcso/etc
Royal mail wise
1.is there a walk log showing dogs are in that property?
2.do you know about walk logs?
3.managers have a template to follow...ensure you put it I to your own words and dont sign off on it till you're happy with the report on Erica.
4.are you in union? If not join.
5.have you seen any of the safety videos?
Most importantly......
You didn't see the dogs until you got bit,hopefully your lino is not one of the type to blame the postie for everything....but its been known to happen.
There's a matrix been trialled in our office which basically puts everything onto the postie...if you're not switched on..
Call the office tomorrow and hopefully the owner will be sent a letter to give them a wee nudge in the dog control direction.
Good luck
I won
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Bitten by dog today, what do i do next?
Just don't report it if you put your fingers through a letterbox. It happened to someone in an office near us a couple of weeks ago and the postie was suspended because he didn't follow procedure. (Shouldn't put fingers through a box and should have used a peg of the dog was known). If you ask me it's a sure fire way for RM to reduce the number of bites because people are going to stop reporting minor ones if they know they'll get into trouble
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Bitten by dog today, what do i do next?
The DIM will blame you, even though you're new and no doubt have been rushed out onto a duty without proper advice and training like me and everyone else were. The management philosophy is that YOU are always at fault because you didn't rattle gate/read a safety card/had the wrong colour socks on or stroked a cat 2 streets before. I had exactly the same after about 6 weeks, and was told 'not to make a fuss as I could be seen to be accident-prone which might affect renewal of my contract' by a manager. No word of a lie. They don't want the hassle or the paperwork or negative dog-attack statistics. Make sure it's reported, logged and checked against safety-cards. Report it to the Police, it's now a criminal offence. If you're in the Union make a legal case. When word gets round that these muppet dog-owners and their out-of-control sh!t machines are getting nailed both civilly and criminally it will eventually cut this type of incident right down.
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Bitten by dog today, what do i do next?
A couple of nice photographs of your leg to eliminate any doubt that you were bitten...
-
oldrope
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 221
- Joined: 27 Oct 2007, 16:17
- Location: lapland
Re: Bitten by dog today, what do i do next?
Take a photo of the bite and take it all the way
-
manboss
- Posts: 110
- Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 15:55
- Gender: Male
Re: Bitten by dog today, what do i do next?
Thanks for the responses.
Well just informed the manager, she took details over the phone and has suspended mail to that address immediately but she will take more details when I'm at work tomorrow, I will add, no blame was made (from her to me) and was asked if I was okay and if I'd be okay for work.
I will take a picture now, just for reference and this has given me the nudge to fill out that join the union form.
Well just informed the manager, she took details over the phone and has suspended mail to that address immediately but she will take more details when I'm at work tomorrow, I will add, no blame was made (from her to me) and was asked if I was okay and if I'd be okay for work.
I will take a picture now, just for reference and this has given me the nudge to fill out that join the union form.
-
glass joe
- Posts: 171
- Joined: 11 Mar 2013, 16:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Bitten by dog today, what do i do next?
Go to a no win no fee lawyer and sue the owners.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Bitten by dog today, what do i do next?
glass joe wrote:Go to a no win no fee lawyer and sue the owners.
Don't need to as a Union member we already have lawyers to help, its part of your dues.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Bitten by dog today, what do i do next?
Yes and with the recent change in the law and being dog awareness week they will be ready to go.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:glass joe wrote:Go to a no win no fee lawyer and sue the owners.
Don't need to as a Union member we already have lawyers to help, its part of your dues.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........