ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Is longterm contact same as permanent ?
-
lilmiss123
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 24 Jan 2014, 20:12
- Gender: Female
Is longterm contact same as permanent ?
Hi I've been in the job 5 months now and my contract is up next month..... Today I received I new contract but with no dates as to when it runs out.....it just says long term contract so is this permanent ?
-
BexyB9
- Posts: 59
- Joined: 24 Jun 2013, 13:12
- Gender: Female
Re: Is longterm contact same as permanent ?
I'm on a permanent contract and I've just dug my paperwork out to have a look. It does say "Long Term Contract" on it so it looks like yours may be permanent.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Is longterm contact same as permanent ?
I would have preferred permanent to have been written into your contract. By use of the word term although long term this could be interpreted that there is the possibility of termination after the term although no specific dates have been actually shown in your contract.lilmiss123 wrote:Hi I've been in the job 5 months now and my contract is up next month..... Today I received I new contract but with no dates as to when it runs out.....it just says long term contract so is this permanent ?
For the avoidance of doubt I would mention this matter to your union rep with a follow up to HR to have this wording clarified.
-
janitor
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 689
- Joined: 28 Aug 2007, 16:18
- Gender: Male
Re: Is longterm contact same as permanent ?
My contract said long term, I was there 17 years till I left last year. So I wouldn't worry too much.
-
silly suffolk
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 728
- Joined: 04 Mar 2011, 21:31
- Gender: Male
- Location: deepest suffolk
Re: Is longterm contact same as permanent ?
the government website states you become a permanent employee automatically after 4 years if you have been on fixed term contracts previously.
-
GoingRoundTheBend
- Posts: 108
- Joined: 25 Jun 2014, 20:09
- Gender: Male
Re: Is longterm contact same as permanent ?
Four years!!!! Im 16 months in on an ftc and thought it was automatic after two yearssilly suffolk wrote:the government website states you become a permanent employee automatically after 4 years if you have been on fixed term contracts previously.
If this is true it looks like I will have to get used to being treated like crap and threatened with no contract renewal every time I kick off
-
raikky
- Posts: 212
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 01:09
- Gender: Female
Re: Is longterm contact same as permanent ?
ive been over 4 years on a temp and im still temp. RM couldn't care less about agreements or law.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Is longterm contact same as permanent ?
raikky wrote:ive been over 4 years on a temp and im still temp. RM couldn't care less about agreements or law.
If you have been employed at Royal Mail for over 4 years on a temp contract then you are now considered a permanent employee and have the same rights as the rest of us.
So if they decide to end your service you have the same rights to Redundancy, notice and anything else as anybody else employed by RM. https://www.gov.uk/fixed-term-contracts ... m-contract" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;The limit on renewing a fixed-term contract
Any employee on fixed-term contracts for 4 or more years will automatically become a permanent employee, unless the employer can show there is a good business reason not to do so.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.