ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

First time delivery

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Nigel1505
Posts: 409
Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
Gender: Male

First time delivery

Post by Nigel1505 »

It seems we are being pressurised even further, to deliver parcels especially tracked, first time. No qualms with this, it makes sense. but my argument is; why then are we not going out 'til 9.00 - 9.30 ish when most, not all people are at work. As a relevant newcomer to RM (7years) talking to some of the old timers they used to get out 7.30 - 8.00 even earlier. Surely when that happened they found more people in. RM cant have it both ways; delaying the time we go out but still expecting people to be in. I have had enough of neighbours refusing to take packets and parcels; because "its getting everyday now;"I don't get on with them" or "I never see them". If we got out at a time when Posties used to be around i.e early, then, surely we would be able to deliver more first time. Am I right or am" I living in the past" (Jethro Tull 1969). Answers on a postcard to "whoever will listen".
malcolm3011
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 303
Joined: 05 Aug 2010, 18:42
Gender: Male

Re: First time delivery

Post by malcolm3011 »

Nigel1505 wrote:It seems we are being pressurised even further, to deliver parcels especially tracked, first time. No qualms with this, it makes sense. but my argument is; why then are we not going out 'til 9.00 - 9.30 ish when most, not all people are at work. As a relevant newcomer to RM (7years) talking to some of the old timers they used to get out 7.30 - 8.00 even earlier. Surely when that happened they found more people in. RM cant have it both ways; delaying the time we go out but still expecting people to be in. I have had enough of neighbours refusing to take packets and parcels; because "its getting everyday now;"I don't get on with them" or "I never see them". If we got out at a time when Posties used to be around i.e early, then, surely we would be able to deliver more first time. Am I right or am" I living in the past" (Jethro Tull 1969). Answers on a postcard to "whoever will listen".
Sorry but have to disagree with you, with the amount of lapsing and working in a rural office where properties have long drives it is not practical and too time consuming to deliver to neighbours, i suggest the people who think up these ideas have never actually done a postal delivery and i think they need to practice what they preach :thumbdown
deltaforce
Posts: 778
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
Gender: Male

Re: First time delivery

Post by deltaforce »

No matter what time you call. People never seem to be in. Perhaps we should start a night shift del, that might work.
Nigel1505
Posts: 409
Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
Gender: Male

Re: First time delivery

Post by Nigel1505 »

You say you disagree, but it seems you to agree with me. I too work in rural with long drives but my argument is; If we got out at an earlier time then "delivery to neighbour" would not be such an issue or necessity because the customer would be, more often than not, at home.
Nigel1505
Posts: 409
Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
Gender: Male

Re: First time delivery

Post by Nigel1505 »

deltaforce wrote:No matter what time you call. People never seem to be in. Perhaps we should start a night shift del, that might work.
It just so happens I have a batch of head torches back in "Mandela House" cushti. :Very Happy
PhilthyPhil
Posts: 1155
Joined: 23 Nov 2007, 19:15

Re: First time delivery

Post by PhilthyPhil »

Over the last 10 years or so the MC and distribution network has totally changed. Moving away from small local MCs to large regional MCs. This means the last wave arrivals to DOs has got a lot later. In our case this has gone from 0500 to 0730. The only way we will ever return to early morning deliveries is if 1c mail stop being next day.
Nigel1505
Posts: 409
Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
Gender: Male

Re: First time delivery

Post by Nigel1505 »

I understand this and realise that it will not or cannot change. But the empathise is being put on the posties to get it "There" first time. Surely then RM must realise that it is not always possible. Me like thousands of other posties see what our competitors do, "Door stepping, "chucking it over the fence" which I have witnessed. Until we drop our standards of delivery to meet theirs, then we are not going to succeed. Or conversely until they meet ours, then our rating will not improve, compered to TNT and others. :arrrghhh That Messi looks English to me, Roy, have a word with him, you never know. :Very Happy
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: First time delivery

Post by eastie »

I said to my DOM , "Do you want me to deliver to neighbours and cut off everyday or 739 and maybe complete"?
They just walk off
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: First time delivery

Post by krussel »

deltaforce wrote:No matter what time you call. People never seem to be in. Perhaps we should start a night shift del, that might work.
Its not a night shift delivery that is required but a night shift sort / prep. This is what we used to have and it allowed us to get out by 7.30am. You then caught half the people before they let for work.

On the flip side you had a second delivery to do around 10am and it was 6 days a week which was a pain.

Sadly I cant see it ever coming back. :sad:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........