ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Long Weekend

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dunlop
Posts: 13
Joined: 21 Jun 2014, 20:44
Gender: Male

Long Weekend

Post by dunlop »

Hi,

I've never posted before, but find these forums very helpful to read. Hoping someone can help me with my problem.
Ok... i'm a reserve. been working for RM for 7 months now. Lately, I was on the same duty for about 6 weeks with a regular day off every week, but then my manager decided to take me off that duty and use me as a reserve again.
So... just before that happened... my day off that was coming up was meant to be Saturday and Monday (yes...long weekend), but the manager changed it to Wednesday - as that was the day off for the duty he asked me to cover.
Anyway, I have been covering this duty for 3 weeks and the guy is back from holiday next week. So on Monday I'll start covering a new duty. My next day off should be ...gues what??... saturday and monday...yep long weekend again. However, I'm concerned my manager will just tell me my day off has to be the same as the duty I'm covering.
This means I could go on covering duties and never have my long weekend!!!
Is this right? Am I entitled to the long weekend every six weeks even if I am a reserve and the long weekend doesn't tally in with whatever duty I am on.
Hope that makes sense :crazy:
Sidley
Posts: 653
Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 22:01
Gender: Male

Re: Long Weekend

Post by Sidley »

Get your rep onto it if you don't get your 1 in 6 Saturdays. I was in the same situation as yourself and I was screwed out of SO many Saturdays over the course of the years. Take no s**t from managers who can't manage a rota, they'll just keep doing it to you as it's easier than actually earning their money.

FTM.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Long Weekend

Post by wannabeek »

As I understand it there's no guarantee of a Saturday followed by the Monday off for a reserve. They should not stop you having 1 in every six Saturdays off (or an equivalent) if you want it. I don't think there's a single reserve ever had a long weekend at our place.
dunlop
Posts: 13
Joined: 21 Jun 2014, 20:44
Gender: Male

Re: Long Weekend

Post by dunlop »

wannabeek wrote:As I understand it there's no guarantee of a Saturday followed by the Monday off for a reserve. They should not stop you having 1 in every six Saturdays off (or an equivalent) if you want it. I don't think there's a single reserve ever had a long weekend at our place.
So are you saying that because I'm a reserve I'm not entitled to 1 in 6 Saturdays off? If I'm not 'entitled' to it, I don't see how I can get my manager to agree to it! I can moan and make it clear I want one in six Saturday's off, but the manager can just refuse and I can't do a thing about it. What's the point in speaking to my union rep if the 1 in 6 is something I'm not 'entitled' to have? :arrrghhh
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Long Weekend

Post by Hitcher »

He said Sat followed by Mon ie long weekend but you should still be entitled to 1 Sat off in 6.
dunlop
Posts: 13
Joined: 21 Jun 2014, 20:44
Gender: Male

Re: Long Weekend

Post by dunlop »

Ah ok. So reserves are entitled to 1 Sat off in 6, but not the long weekend (Sat, Sun and Mon).
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Long Weekend

Post by wannabeek »

That's right. There's a random chance I suppose that the one Saturday you have off, you may be covering a duty the following week which also has the Monday off.
ripio
Posts: 233
Joined: 06 Sep 2008, 23:32
Gender: Male

Re: Long Weekend

Post by ripio »

You're not even entitled to 1 in 6 saturdays off unfortunately.
I was a reserve for a year and a half after our revision and got hardly any saturdays off in that time.
Took it up with DOM and union rep and got nowhere, just told the only entitlement is to a day off somewhere in the week.
Thankfully I'm now on a floating duty and get my 1 in 6 weekends.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Long Weekend

Post by wannabeek »

Yeah, well unfortunately they were talking BS and you believed it.

It's not easy to get them to stick to the agreement. I only get 1 in 52 Saturdays myself (if that even) but that's through choice because I usually work my day off anyway and I'm not bothered about working Saturdays. Those that dig their heels in and insist on their entitlement do get it, or the equivalent of it.

It's bad that you have to be a nag to get them to give you something you're entitled to, but that's probably the same for most jobs at our level. Like I said, I'm not bothered myself, but I make sure everyone at our place knows that they can get it if they want.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Re: Long Weekend

Post by steve1873 »

You are entitled to 1in6 Saturdays, or however many Saturdays off your office agreed to, be it 1in4 or any other.

If your manager wont play ball, just say you feel you are being discriminated against and are going to have to file a grievance.
Tuffers1875
Posts: 146
Joined: 14 Nov 2012, 15:27
Gender: Male

Re: Long Weekend

Post by Tuffers1875 »

1 in 6 Saturdays off? Stuff that, we get 1 in 4 :nana
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Re: Long Weekend

Post by korky »

ripio wrote:You're not even entitled to 1 in 6 saturdays off unfortunately.
I was a reserve for a year and a half after our revision and got hardly any saturdays off in that time.
Took it up with DOM and union rep and got nowhere, just told the only entitlement is to a day off somewhere in the week.
Thankfully I'm now on a floating duty and get my 1 in 6 weekends.
LR's are entitled to 1in6
i had nearly 7 years of battles trying to get them, manager & rep both agreed too, but getting them was a different matter.
i never knew until a few weeks ago that you can book overtime for a day that same week if your day off falls on a bank holiday, which most LR's get (obviously you don't get a credit)
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Long Weekend

Post by arnold cheshire »

wannabeek wrote:That's right. There's a random chance I suppose that the one Saturday you have off, you may be covering a duty the following week which also has the Monday off.
wouldnt that be the same duty ?
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Long Weekend

Post by wannabeek »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:
wannabeek wrote:That's right. There's a random chance I suppose that the one Saturday you have off, you may be covering a duty the following week which also has the Monday off.
wouldnt that be the same duty ?
Would be a pretty small office if only one walk in the place had a Monday off at a time. Also, it's not likely someone would book a fortnight off over their own long weekend in the middle of it.