ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
My Sick pay being stopped
-
fatmike
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 27 May 2011, 14:52
- Gender: Male
My Sick pay being stopped
I've been off work for the last few weeks after having some surgery done. I'm scheduled to go back in a couple of weeks time and I've handed in the relevant sick note. My boss has been very funny about the whole thing, but so far no major problems.
This week my wife had some annual leave, so she's taken me to see her family for a few days. I'm still resting and unable to work; I just happen to be at a different address. I was honest with my boss about this, but he said this counts as holiday and if I'm fit enough to go on holiday, I'm fit enough to work. I argued that it isn't a holiday, I'm just resting up and being looked after by family instead. He later called back and said he's cancelling my sick pay because I didn't request his permission to leave my address. He likened it to flying off to Spain for a holiday whilst ill! He's been harassing me quite a lot during my sick period, arguing with what the experts have told me.
I'm wondering if he's within his rights to do this? If it is company policy, I've never been told or given the paperwork explaining this. Is this my mistake or is he being way over the top on this? I'm hardly going out partying everyday. Just the same rest I've been having at home. I asked if I'd get holiday pay if I wasn't getting sick pay (this week would have been annual leave for me anyway). Apparently I won't get that either!
Maybe I have made a genuine error, but I feel the way he is playing this is borderline bullying.
This week my wife had some annual leave, so she's taken me to see her family for a few days. I'm still resting and unable to work; I just happen to be at a different address. I was honest with my boss about this, but he said this counts as holiday and if I'm fit enough to go on holiday, I'm fit enough to work. I argued that it isn't a holiday, I'm just resting up and being looked after by family instead. He later called back and said he's cancelling my sick pay because I didn't request his permission to leave my address. He likened it to flying off to Spain for a holiday whilst ill! He's been harassing me quite a lot during my sick period, arguing with what the experts have told me.
I'm wondering if he's within his rights to do this? If it is company policy, I've never been told or given the paperwork explaining this. Is this my mistake or is he being way over the top on this? I'm hardly going out partying everyday. Just the same rest I've been having at home. I asked if I'd get holiday pay if I wasn't getting sick pay (this week would have been annual leave for me anyway). Apparently I won't get that either!
Maybe I have made a genuine error, but I feel the way he is playing this is borderline bullying.
Last edited by fatmike on 11 Jun 2014, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Re: Sick pay being stopped
So you told him before and were contactable take it up with your rep this is what I pay them for but to me the manager is pressuring you as he may have to do some work for once in his life!fatmike wrote:I've been off work for the last few weeks after having some surgery done. I'm scheduled to go back in a couple of weeks time and I've handed in the relevant sick note. My boss has been very funny about the whole thing, but so far no major problems.
This week my wife had some annual leave, so she's taken me to see her family for a few days. I'm still resting and unable to work; I just happen to be at a different address. I was honest with my boss about this, but he said this counts as holiday and if I'm fit enough to go on holiday, I'm fit enough to work. I argued that it isn't a holiday, I'm just resting up and being looked after by family instead. He later called back and said he's cancelling my sick pay because I didn't request his permission to leave my address. He likened it to flying off to Spain for a holiday whilst ill! He's been harassing me quite a lot during my sick period, arguing with what the experts have told me.
I'm wondering if he's within his rights to do this? If it is company policy, I've never been told or given the paperwork explaining this. Is this my mistake or is he being way over the top on this? I'm hardly going out partying everyday. Just the same rest I've been having at home. I asked if I'd get holiday pay if I wasn't getting sick pay (this week would have been annual leave for me anyway). Apparently I won't get that either!
Maybe I have made a genuine error, but I feel the way he is playing this is borderline bullying.
-
fatmike
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 27 May 2011, 14:52
- Gender: Male
Re: My Sick pay being stopped
Unfortunately I only told him after I'd already left. I had no idea it was company policy to request this. I made sure I was contactable the whole time though.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Re: My Sick pay being stopped
Difficult you should have told him at the time of last contact with him you were going away but did your sick note cover the last time he tried to contact you if it did and it was a significant time difference ie weeks you could argue your condition was unchanged and you had no idea as your manager did not give you the paper work to inform you of this fact!fatmike wrote:Unfortunately I only told him after I'd already left. I had no idea it was company policy to request this. I made sure I was contactable the whole time though.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: My Sick pay being stopped
You mention that your manager has been arguing with what you have been told by experts does that mean you have already been referred to OH Assist during your sick absence and he has been copied in on their recommendations and is fully aware of you being unfit for work and also that you are scheduled to return in the next few weeks which you have medical certificates to cover this period of absence.fatmike wrote:I've been off work for the last few weeks after having some surgery done. I'm scheduled to go back in a couple of weeks time and I've handed in the relevant sick note. My boss has been very funny about the whole thing, but so far no major problems.
This week my wife had some annual leave, so she's taken me to see her family for a few days. I'm still resting and unable to work; I just happen to be at a different address. I was honest with my boss about this, but he said this counts as holiday and if I'm fit enough to go on holiday, I'm fit enough to work. I argued that it isn't a holiday, I'm just resting up and being looked after by family instead. He later called back and said he's cancelling my sick pay because I didn't request his permission to leave my address. He likened it to flying off to Spain for a holiday whilst ill! He's been harassing me quite a lot during my sick period, arguing with what the experts have told me.
I'm wondering if he's within his rights to do this? If it is company policy, I've never been told or given the paperwork explaining this. Is this my mistake or is he being way over the top on this? I'm hardly going out partying everyday. Just the same rest I've been having at home. I asked if I'd get holiday pay if I wasn't getting sick pay (this week would have been annual leave for me anyway). Apparently I won't get that either!
Maybe I have made a genuine error, but I feel the way he is playing this is borderline bullying.
I am also assuming that at present there has been to rehabilitation programme set for a return to work and you are absent waiting the result of your next visit in the next few weeks before any rehabilitation programme is set.
It is part of the absence procedure that you remain in contact with your office and are available to attend for interview if requested while off sick but if my assumptions are correct then attending for interview serves no purpose.
You also mentioned to your manger that while off you would be at a different address but you would be in a position hopefully to attend for an interview if requested whereas if you somewhere in a beach in Spain this would be more difficult so his argument is OTT.
If your annual leave encroaches into your sick absence then you are sick and your annual leave will be postponed until a later date.
Your manger will need to have a justifiable reason for the stoppage of your sick pay and he has written to you on how he has come to his decision and you need to take your situation to your union rep.
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: My Sick pay being stopped
Your manager has no right to decide where you stay whilst you are off ill. He has a right to have contact with you, nothing else.
-
DavidUK
- Posts: 77
- Joined: 31 Aug 2010, 21:22
- Gender: Male
- Location: Lincolnshire
Re: My Sick pay being stopped
100% correct.Lincox wrote:Your manager has no right to decide where you stay whilst you are off ill. He has a right to have contact with you, nothing else.
-
Krafty
- Posts: 88
- Joined: 13 Sep 2013, 14:27
- Gender: Male
Re: My Sick pay being stopped
Another manager who doesn't know what they are doing 
-
Pete22
- Posts: 127
- Joined: 02 Mar 2010, 16:53
- Gender: Male
- Location: Cook-coo land
Re: My Sick pay being stopped
Sounds like a right cock ,get in touch with your rep and then go for the jugulars by launching a complaint as to how you have been treated, making sure that you will go above the head of this twat at the first opportunity to highlight his ineptness as a manager.Krafty wrote:Another manager who doesn't know what they are doing
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: My Sick pay being stopped
Your manager is wrong. Your covered by your doctors cert. He can contact you for updates and that's it. The doc decides when you are ready to go back.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
General Mannerheim
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2299
- Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
- Gender: Male
- Location: Stalag 17
Re: My Sick pay being stopped
I disagree,he knows EXACTLY what he is doing.Krafty wrote:Another manager who doesn't know what they are doing
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: My Sick pay being stopped
Just as a matter of interest, is your wife's family in this country? If not it could appear to be a bit sus.
-
Bert66
- Posts: 76
- Joined: 16 Jun 2007, 09:59
Re: My Sick pay being stopped
His argument could be if he sent a letter to your usual address to attend for interview, you would not of received it as you were away and therefore unable to be contacted.Lincox wrote:Your manager has no right to decide where you stay whilst you are off ill. He has a right to have contact with you, nothing else.
-
postypie
- Posts: 435
- Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
- Gender: Male
Re: My Sick pay being stopped
This story made me chuckle....quite a few years back when I first started heard the story of a postie who went sick..but decided to take his scheduled holiday as planned ..so got to the air port and queued up to check in...and who was behind him in this Queue ....his manager who was on the same flight and allegedly sat behind this postie on the plane!!lol
Both the manager and Postie have long since gone, but at the time it was very funny.
Both the manager and Postie have long since gone, but at the time it was very funny.
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: My Sick pay being stopped
The same would apply if you were in hospital. A manager cannot insist that you spend your sick time locked up in your own home. That would be classed as being detained. He can reasonably insist that he has a telephone number or an email address to make contact with you, but he cannot place you under house arrest.Bert66 wrote:His argument could be if he sent a letter to your usual address to attend for interview, you would not of received it as you were away and therefore unable to be contacted.Lincox wrote:Your manager has no right to decide where you stay whilst you are off ill. He has a right to have contact with you, nothing else.