ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Knee problems?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postypie
Posts: 435
Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Knee problems?

Post by postypie »

Anyone else suffer with knee probs?
Since these park and loops were introduced (hundreds of steps on my walk)...my knees are giving me some right problems and I put it down to too many steps on my duty as I deliver to many blocks of two/three/four storey flats that have no lifts unfortunately!
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Knee problems?

Post by DB1100 »

postypie wrote:Anyone else suffer with knee probs?
Since these park and loops were introduced (hundreds of steps on my walk)...my knees are giving me some right problems and I put it down to too many steps on my duty as I deliver to many blocks of two/three/four storey flats that have no lifts unfortunately!
It doesn't help if you are using a vauxhall combi either,they are that low that if the driver parks next to a high kerb you practically have to crawl out the bloody things.
For we were soldiers once,and young
fly-catchers
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 573
Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
Gender: Male

Re: Knee problems?

Post by fly-catchers »

I have had knee issues for the last two years now. :( And given the job can only see them getting worse! Three other people at our office have various knee problems. And one of those is off sick for the last three months after having an operation. RM go on about H&S but create health issues with their ways of working!
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16692
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Knee problems?

Post by clashcityrocker »

Carry as little as possible.
No bag should be over %kg.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
bobthepostie
Posts: 135
Joined: 24 Mar 2010, 17:41
Gender: Male

Re: Knee problems?

Post by bobthepostie »

I've suffered from knee pain since our revision last year. Put it down to the amount of flats i was delivering to. Was off sick for a few weeks and self referred to NHS physio who said i have Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome. Some days are worse than others but most days it's very painful :arrrghhh
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Knee problems?

Post by datasaint »

If you're overweight lose weight lowers strain on knees more so than any bag you're likely to carry.
postypie
Posts: 435
Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: Knee problems?

Post by postypie »

norm wrote:If you're overweight lose weight lowers strain on knees more so than any bag you're likely to carry.

That's a weight off my mind...never really thought about my weight but I am 5ft 11 and weight 14 stone so not too bad but I shall heed your advice and reduce my snack box accordingly.
Captain Scarlet
Posts: 322
Joined: 02 Jul 2007, 15:23
Location: Fifer

Re: Knee problems?

Post by Captain Scarlet »

A few people in our office have had that planter fasciitis or whatever it's called and that is a direct result of too much walking....go figure :pray
ewancurze
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 19:25
Gender: Male

Re: Knee problems?

Post by ewancurze »

A lot in our office have that now as well!
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: Knee problems?

Post by rhino49 »

When you have put the letters through the letter box remember to lift your foot before you turn away from it - rotating the knee joint with the sole of your foot on the floor causes damage to the knee structure. I had a problem for a couple of years with my right knee until I figured that one out - you have to be quite disciplined remembering to do it but it does make a difference after a short time. Hope this helps.
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
mudpie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 25
Joined: 06 Apr 2014, 10:37
Gender: Male

Re: Knee problems?

Post by mudpie »

I have had/got Plantar Fasciitis and X rays reveal I am developing Arthritis in my knees. Doc has given me note to say light duties only. Dom has no light duties. Dom says go sick whilst IHR is applied for (I'M 60) The scary thing for those with dodgy knees is that, come retirement you stand the chance of being crippled. Do you want to spend your retirement disabled. Royal Mail don't give a toss. I just hope I can get out with IHR asap.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Knee problems?

Post by Darren Bent »

I can see the problems increasing with extra workload. It will bite Royal Mail hard as it will have to pay lot of ill health retirement and training new people. Sometimes changing footwear help to make it easier on the body.
P739
Posts: 277
Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 13:48

Re: Knee problems?

Post by P739 »

Shoulder knackered need an operation has been for 4 years now just getting round to operating on it..God knows what the future will hold but health comes first.
postypie
Posts: 435
Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: Knee problems?

Post by postypie »

Four staff members who have covered my duty have all complained about the amount of steps on it(two of these posties are young lads)..managers just don't care and come out with..'well it's the same for everyone''...erm these is no other duty in our office with over 3000 steps(yes I have counted them)..lol..i am a sad git.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16692
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Knee problems?

Post by clashcityrocker »

postypie wrote:...erm these is no other duty in our office with over 3000 steps(yes I have counted them)..lol..i am a sad git.
Are these Scottish tenements?
The Tenement study recommended nobody did more than 30 - which equates to about 1800 steps.
3 000 suggests you are doing approx. 50?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.