ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

painful wrist

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
kirstyx
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 147
Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 16:45
Gender: Female

painful wrist

Post by kirstyx »

Hi all, since being a postie about one every 6 weeks or so my left wrist is very painful to bend and constantly aches ive previously been to the dr and was told to strap it up for 2 weeks and to go back if still hurting but it only really hursts for a few days so usually treat at home by strapping it and taking painkillers. Only reason ive posted this is because its happened last week and again sore today and after talking to a nurse friend she has said that it may be wrist tendonitis and I was just wondering if anyone on here has been diagnosed with that and what they do to ease the symptoms?
Ricardo44
Posts: 164
Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
Gender: Male

Re: painful wrist

Post by Ricardo44 »

You need to see a physio and get some proper treatment. Sounds like a repetetive strain injury. If you leave it then it will only get worse.I've had similar problems with my achilles and also tennis elbow,both of which are now fully healed but it took time and money. You might be able to get your doctor to refer you for NHS physio. There's no quick easy fix I'm afraid.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: painful wrist

Post by greengiant »

Good luck! Probably a good idea trying to see a physio. Also, use smaller bundles?

I got my wrist slapped for carrying too big a bundle - 4kg when my colleague put it on the scales! :shock:
N1-22postman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 68
Joined: 13 Oct 2010, 08:31
Gender: Male

Re: painful wrist

Post by N1-22postman »

I had postman`s elbow (same as tennis elbow) brought about by carrying too big a bundle.This is a repetitive strain injury.Stop carrying 4Kg bundles.Do much smaller bundles.On P&L I now bundle up what I deliver because before my partner would do massive bundles.You have lwt so you do not have to have big bundles.Carrying big bundles while using the pda is a pain.Eventually with rest your rsi will improve.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: painful wrist

Post by greengiant »

N1-22postman wrote:I had postman`s elbow (same as tennis elbow) brought about by carrying too big a bundle.This is a repetitive strain injury.Stop carrying 4Kg bundles.Do much smaller bundles.On P&L I now bundle up what I deliver because before my partner would do massive bundles.You have lwt so you do not have to have big bundles.Carrying big bundles while using the pda is a pain.Eventually with rest your rsi will improve.
I made loads of wee mini bundles today, seemed a heck of a lot easier, and seemed to make the delivery go quicker!
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: painful wrist

Post by krussel »

Get a wrist support with a plastic splint built in and this will help take the weight of the bundle. As others have said use smaller bundles.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: painful wrist

Post by clashcityrocker »

N1-22postman wrote:I had postman`s elbow (same as tennis elbow) .
Postman's elbow (or golfer's elbow) is different to tennis elbow as with the former the pain is on the inside of the elbow whereas tennis elbow is on the outside.
Golfer's elbow is treatable by simply twisting the arm and turning the palm out. This stretches the relevant tendon in the opposite direction and is very effective.

Is it a wrist injury or the base of the thumb?
The latter could be carpal tunnel syndrome.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Ricardo44
Posts: 164
Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
Gender: Male

Re: painful wrist

Post by Ricardo44 »

My tennis elbow was on my right arm which I deliver with as I'm right handed and carry the bundle with my left so smaller bundles would not have really helped me that much.it was the constant use during delivering mail and to a lesser degree prepping walks that caused it over the years.
Surely this would be the case for most people suffering from this type of injury as I wouldn't have thought you would get it in the arm you hold the bundle with as its not as active.. :hmmmm
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Re: painful wrist

Post by fb1969 »

clashcityrocker wrote:
N1-22postman wrote:I had postman`s elbow (same as tennis elbow) .
Postman's elbow (or golfer's elbow) is different to tennis elbow as with the former the pain is on the inside of the elbow whereas tennis elbow is on the outside.
Agreed as that is exactly what my Doctor said a couple of months ago and I still have mild symptoms.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Re: painful wrist

Post by korky »

i had "whatever" elbow last year, was agony bundling top row of frame.
put more pressure on other during the shifts and that got bad too.
i grinned and took it and went away eventually.
to be honest if i'd gone sick with it meant i'd been watching too much porn!
.
.
.
1 hour per day isn't too much eh?
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: painful wrist

Post by Lincox »

Whats Carpel Tunnel? I have been in agony with base of thumb on left hand which I carry my bundles.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: painful wrist

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Lincox wrote:Whats Carpel Tunnel? I have been in agony with base of thumb on left hand which I carry my bundles.
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Carpal-tun ... tisit.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) is a relatively common condition that causes pain, numbness and a tingling sensation in the hand and fingers.

Usually, these sensations develop gradually and start off being worse during the night. They tend to affect the thumb, index finger, middle finger and half of the ring finger.

Other symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome include:

pins and needles (paraesthesia)
thumb weakness
a dull ache in the hand or arm
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: painful wrist

Post by spiderj »

korky wrote:i had "whatever" elbow last year, was agony bundling top row of frame.
put more pressure on other during the shifts and that got bad too.
i grinned and took it and went away eventually.
to be honest if i'd gone sick with it meant i'd been watching too much porn!
.
.
.
1 hour per day isn't too much eh?
Yeah
But not when you're working lol
:wave
I won
kirstyx
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 147
Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 16:45
Gender: Female

Re: painful wrist

Post by kirstyx »

well it was so sore on friday night i ended up in a&e with it where they strapped it up and put my arm in a sling ive gotta see my gp again about it on tuesday but when i went into work on saturday i had to prep a round and was then chucked into the locker i had never been in there before and both myself and the guy in there said it was stupd me being there as i would just question everything and he would end up doing most of it anyway, but obviously the managers know best or at least the one who was in charge on saturday who thinks hes gods gift to women does. i but i digress i was under the impression that the DOM has to authorise people to have a shift in the locker due to security as it was i refused to be given the code to get through the door
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: painful wrist

Post by Barbel »

I was wondering if anyone gets back pains from carrying pouches? It's worse in the morning for me when I wake up and have to have a good stretch then it's not as bad throughout the day.