ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
HTC's, HCT's Or Whatever They're called...
-
Tuffers1875
- Posts: 146
- Joined: 14 Nov 2012, 15:27
- Gender: Male
HTC's, HCT's Or Whatever They're called...
I find them a right nuisance! This morning while walking down a very steep hill to my walk, I was struggling to keep up with it, two pouches of mail fell off the lid and into the road getting all wet. You can't feather the brakes like on a motorbike and you find that you have to run along behind it to keep up. I did put the one brake on, but it skidded to the left into a hedge with the two pouches that had fallen off a few yards behind. I think they should have some sort of gearing on them, so you can slow them down safely. Health and safety? My arse!
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: HTC's, HCT's Or Whatever They're called...
Tuffers1875 wrote:I find them a right nuisance! This morning while walking down a very steep hill to my walk, I was struggling to keep up with it, two pouches of mail fell off the lid and into the road getting all wet. You can't feather the brakes like on a motorbike and you find that you have to run along behind it to keep up. I did put the one brake on, but it skidded to the left into a hedge with the two pouches that had fallen off a few yards behind. I think they should have some sort of gearing on them, so you can slow them down safely. Health and safety? My arse!
1 why have you got two pouches on top of it?
2 why are you using it on a steep hill?
-
GROOSTER
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 13 Jan 2009, 11:13
- Gender: Male
Re: HTC's, HCT's Or Whatever They're called...
Hellfire Tuffers, it sounds like you deliver down that road that used to be in the Hovis advert!
I would suggest you carry the two pouches of mail on your back which may balance the load and slow down the HCT.
I would suggest you carry the two pouches of mail on your back which may balance the load and slow down the HCT.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: HTC's, HCT's Or Whatever They're called...
Tuffers1875 wrote:I find them a right nuisance! This morning while walking down a very steep hill to my walk, I was struggling to keep up with it, two pouches of mail fell off the lid and into the road getting all wet. You can't feather the brakes like on a motorbike and you find that you have to run along behind it to keep up. I did put the one brake on, but it skidded to the left into a hedge with the two pouches that had fallen off a few yards behind. I think they should have some sort of gearing on them, so you can slow them down safely. Health and safety? My arse!
Sounds like an old Laurel and Hardy sketch......
-
Tuffers1875
- Posts: 146
- Joined: 14 Nov 2012, 15:27
- Gender: Male
Re: HTC's, HCT's Or Whatever They're called...
I have seriously thought about roller skating and holding onto the big red buggy thing down the hill to make it easier. Would I get in trouble for roller skating round my walk though?
-
careful
- Posts: 60
- Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 22:46
Re: HTC's, HCT's Or Whatever They're called...
One word for hcts backbreakers
-
wabbithunta
- Posts: 872
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!
Re: HTC's, HCT's Or Whatever They're called...
GROOSTER wrote:Hellfire Tuffers, it sounds like you deliver down that road that used to be in the Hovis advert!
I would suggest you carry the two pouches of mail on your back which may balance the load and slow down the HCT.
You could use an anvil as a brake/anchor on steep hills, as backup for the HCT brakes, due to the extra pouches you have on top of it. So nice to know that the mail is secure on top of a full HCT. Do you use bungee cords to strap these on to it?
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
-
Brain Fury
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 664
- Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Re: HTC's, HCT's Or Whatever They're called...
Why not put both brakes on then?Tuffers1875 wrote:I find them a right nuisance! This morning while walking down a very steep hill to my walk, I was struggling to keep up with it, two pouches of mail fell off the lid and into the road getting all wet. You can't feather the brakes like on a motorbike and you find that you have to run along behind it to keep up. I did put the one brake on, but it skidded to the left into a hedge with the two pouches that had fallen off a few yards behind. I think they should have some sort of gearing on them, so you can slow them down safely. Health and safety? My arse!
-
hampshireman
- Posts: 792
- Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
- Gender: Male
Re: HTC's, HCT's Or Whatever They're called...
I am assuming that Tuffers is taking the proverbial .Brain Fury wrote:Why not put both brakes on then?Tuffers1875 wrote:I find them a right nuisance! This morning while walking down a very steep hill to my walk, I was struggling to keep up with it, two pouches of mail fell off the lid and into the road getting all wet. You can't feather the brakes like on a motorbike and you find that you have to run along behind it to keep up. I did put the one brake on, but it skidded to the left into a hedge with the two pouches that had fallen off a few yards behind. I think they should have some sort of gearing on them, so you can slow them down safely. Health and safety? My arse!
-
19times
- Posts: 339
- Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
- Gender: Female
Re: HTC's, HCT's Or Whatever They're called...
I was on a HCT duty until today when the DIM said they are scrapping them all due to the fact that 'We are a Parcel company now' he seemed to imply they were going national everywhere.
First day as a Van share and yep you guessed it we culled it where's before I always did it all hmm...
First day as a Van share and yep you guessed it we culled it where's before I always did it all hmm...
-
peanut19651
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 14 Mar 2013, 23:00
- Gender: Male
Re: HTC's, HCT's Or Whatever They're called...
I can't believe what I've read here. Have you read the SSOW for the use of HCTs? I like to see where it says you can use them steep inclines AND to have delivery pouches placed on them unsecured. The walk should be assessed to see what correct delivery equipment should be used...and as for scrapping of HCTs...that's news to me as well!! We are about to go into a delivery methods revision with the MK2 HCTs and we not heard of them being scrapped. You guys are talking about the MK2 HCT are ya guys?
-
Brain Fury
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 664
- Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Re: HTC's, HCT's Or Whatever They're called...
There is no truth in the suggestion that there is a policy that HCTs are being withdrawn in favour of vehicles. HCTs are still being supplied to support new delivery methods revisions. There might be capacity issues if the number of parcels grows so who knows what will happen in the long run.