ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Getting tired of being forced to do OT

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
lofarl
Posts: 48
Joined: 25 Feb 2010, 16:08
Gender: Male

Getting tired of being forced to do OT

Post by lofarl »

My duty is far to big. Everyone knows it, yet nothing is being done to reduce its workload. I cannot start any earlier than I do and being over an hour late every single day is starting to really inconvenience me. Yet when I say cannot be late today, I get something akin to a interrogation with 3 different managers firing off multiple questions then I get called lazy or slow. Then if I do somehow succeed in handing something back the next day I get a row for either doing that or some utter trivial matter like no dog peg etc.

I feel like they are trying to make it so hard to hand stuff over that you wonder what the point is. Well I am up for the fight. So I would like to know a few things.

I take it I cannot be sacked or suspended for refusing to come in early or work late. Do I have to give a valid reason in their eyes like child care or doctors appointment or can I just say no I just don't want to.

What is the delivery time now the new revision is in place? I van share and use trolleys for the busy parts of my loop. Does this delivery time include traveling there and back and pouching off, or is it added on later? Is that time still 30 mins?

Can I be forced off my run and if I take items out must a delivery attempt be made? If I say I cannot finish this in time and yet I am told I have to take it out, what can I do?
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Getting tired of being forced to do OT

Post by spiderj »

Search for opg overrunning delivery procedure

Overtime is voluntary

If it goes out the door,your manager must be contacted to discuss returning
So.....take it out and try and call a manager
Or......discuss the matter before going out and "cut off "
Hang in there
:thumbup
I won
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: Getting tired of being forced to do OT

Post by eastie »

lofarl wrote:My duty is far to big. Everyone knows it, yet nothing is being done to reduce its workload. I cannot start any earlier than I do and being over an hour late every single day is starting to really inconvenience me. Yet when I say cannot be late today, I get something akin to a interrogation with 3 different managers firing off multiple questions then I get called lazy or slow. Then if I do somehow succeed in handing something back the next day I get a row for either doing that or some utter trivial matter like no dog peg etc.

I feel like they are trying to make it so hard to hand stuff over that you wonder what the point is. Well I am up for the fight. So I would like to know a few things.

I take it I cannot be sacked or suspended for refusing to come in early or work late. Do I have to give a valid reason in their eyes like child care or doctors appointment or can I just say no I just don't want to.

What is the delivery time now the new revision is in place? I van share and use trolleys for the busy parts of my loop. Does this delivery time include traveling there and back and pouching off, or is it added on later? Is that time still 30 mins?

Can I be forced off my run and if I take items out must a delivery attempt be made? If I say I cannot finish this in time and yet I am told I have to take it out, what can I do?
You don't ask the DOM that you want to cut off YOU TELL HIM YOU ARE.
They can't make you go over and they definatly can't make you start earlier unless you get paid for it and you want to.
Just tell the DOM before you tie up that you will leave a row or do they want you to take it out and bring it back
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Getting tired of being forced to do OT

Post by bustedflush »

lofarl wrote:My duty is far to big. Everyone knows it, yet nothing is being done to reduce its workload. I cannot start any earlier than I do and being over an hour late every single day is starting to really inconvenience me. Yet when I say cannot be late today, I get something akin to a interrogation with 3 different managers firing off multiple questions then I get called lazy or slow. Then if I do somehow succeed in handing something back the next day I get a row for either doing that or some utter trivial matter like no dog peg etc.

I feel like they are trying to make it so hard to hand stuff over that you wonder what the point is. Well I am up for the fight. So I would like to know a few things.

I take it I cannot be sacked or suspended for refusing to come in early or work late. Do I have to give a valid reason in their eyes like child care or doctors appointment or can I just say no I just don't want to.

What is the delivery time now the new revision is in place? I van share and use trolleys for the busy parts of my loop. Does this delivery time include traveling there and back and pouching off, or is it added on later? Is that time still 30 mins?

Can I be forced off my run and if I take items out must a delivery attempt be made? If I say I cannot finish this in time and yet I am told I have to take it out, what can I do?

No, but they make you think you can when bullying.

Don't tell me - you are on a temp contract and feel obliged to grovel in case it is terminated or not renewed?

Your tale has all the signs of 'temp abuse' but if I am wrong I apologize.
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: Getting tired of being forced to do OT

Post by wabbithunta »

If you are in the CWU then talk to your rep about this, if not then do join, for your own sake and peace of mind, as no doubt you're getting really stressed out over this. This is bullying and harassement and your managers should know better as DRAW is always being pushed by Royal Mail and it's also for reasons like this that it and rightly so it's being highlighted time and again, which in turn means that Royal Mail really need to get to grips with it.
Refuse to work over your time. Work to your hours and as has been said, TELL them, your manager(s) that you are cutting off, also make sure that you have a witness with you when you tell them, as they'll no doubt try to deny you had told them and also tell them (again and again, if needed) that you cannot complete as the duty is too large and ask for your walk to be tested.
If they want you to come in early to throw off your, or any other delivery, then tell them you want to be paid overtime for coming in early, likewise if you want to do any overtime ensure you are paid for it, and somehow I doubt very much you want to do overtime on this delivery you are speaking about.
I hope, as others do, that you get this sorted.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Getting tired of being forced to do OT

Post by rehabron »

Seems to be a very draconian attitude to be forced or pressurised to do o/t .You are not helping your own cause by coming in early. You should start and finish on your duty time and anything in between is done by the book including your 40 minute relief breaks. Your duty sheet will show a delivery span time and that is exactly what it means from your first delivery address to your final delivery address allowing for your time to return to office for signing out. Volumes of mail differ on a day to day basis and experience should tell you if you are able to deliver all mails within your duty span or use the cut off procedure or advise DOM while on route that you are unable to complete your deliveries and will be returning to office allowing you enough time to check in returned mail and sign out on finishing time. If you are continually returning mail due to the round is too big then you should contact your union rep to have this tested. You also mentioned that you van share is your colleague of the same opinion as you or is he/she willing to work overtime and if so you can state that you wish to be returned to your office and colleague can continue with the delivery. You should not have to look for an excuse for not working o/t such as child care as o/t is VOLUNTERY. Any action by DOM to put pressure on you to work o/t constitutes bully and harassment and you should complete an HR1 form giving full details of your situation. :Boo hoo!
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: Getting tired of being forced to do OT

Post by wabbithunta »

rehabron wrote:Seems to be a very draconian attitude to be forced or pressurised to do o/t .You are not helping your own cause by coming in early. You should start and finish on your duty time and anything in between is done by the book including your 40 minute relief breaks. Your duty sheet will show a delivery span time and that is exactly what it means from your first delivery address to your final delivery address allowing for your time to return to office for signing out. Volumes of mail differ on a day to day basis and experience should tell you if you are able to deliver all mails within your duty span or use the cut off procedure or advise DOM while on route that you are unable to complete your deliveries and will be returning to office allowing you enough time to check in returned mail and sign out on finishing time. If you are continually returning mail due to the round is too big then you should contact your union rep to have this tested. You also mentioned that you van share is your colleague of the same opinion as you or is he/she willing to work overtime and if so you can state that you wish to be returned to your office and colleague can continue with the delivery. You should not have to look for an excuse for not working o/t such as child care as o/t is VOLUNTERY. Any action by DOM to put pressure on you to work o/t constitutes bully and harassment and you should complete an HR1 form giving full details of your situation. :Boo hoo!

:thumbup
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
alloria
Posts: 176
Joined: 29 Jul 2009, 22:48
Gender: Male

Re: Getting tired of being forced to do OT

Post by alloria »

There is someone in our office that has a similar problem. He suffers from mild Autism, and it shows! The managers use this against him knowing that he has trouble arguing back, and will often intimidate him to working over his time. They even put him on one of the biggest duties in the office, and he is often accused of being lazy or slow. So having been watching this for a while, I can imagine you must not be having a good time.
Vote no on the "Agreement"
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Getting tired of being forced to do OT

Post by arnold cheshire »

wabbithunta wrote:If you are in the CWU then talk to your rep about this, if not then do join, for your own sake and peace of mind, as no doubt you're getting really stressed out over this. This is bullying and harassement and your managers should know better as DRAW is always being pushed by Royal Mail and it's also for reasons like this that it and rightly so it's being highlighted time and again, which in turn means that Royal Mail really need to get to grips with it.
Refuse to work over your time. Work to your hours and as has been said, TELL them, your manager(s) that you are cutting off, also make sure that you have a witness with you when you tell them, as they'll no doubt try to deny you had told them and also tell them (again and again, if needed) that you cannot complete as the duty is too large and ask for your walk to be tested.
If they want you to come in early to throw off your, or any other delivery, then tell them you want to be paid overtime for coming in early, likewise if you want to do any overtime ensure you are paid for it, and somehow I doubt very much you want to do overtime on this delivery you are speaking about.
I hope, as others do, that you get this sorted.
there is no need to keep telling them again and again tell them once i dont bother with a witness has that looks stupid youve told them they should know your duty has problems if asked questions say i will talk to you with union representation and then ignore them :thumbup
lofarl
Posts: 48
Joined: 25 Feb 2010, 16:08
Gender: Male

Re: Getting tired of being forced to do OT

Post by lofarl »

Wow I walk the dog and I come back to all this. Thanks for all the replies. A few things.

I am not a temp, I've been in RM for over 5 years, my contract is for 30 hrs pw. I now no longer start early and have not done so for a good while now. I take at least 15 mins of my break in the morning and usually just don't have the other 15 as I'd rather be done the 15 mins quicker at the end of the shift. This used to be fine pre revision. We had the dignity and respect talk 3 weeks ago, when I said that the only bullying and harassment here comes from management you could see them squirm in their chairs. They all have collective amnesia today when I mentioned it. I am in the CWU, I was also told today that I could not have a word with my rep about this issue as I was to tie down. Naturally I went straight to my rep after I did.

My colleague comes in one hour early as we are both part timers, he is keen to do the OT in the morning still yet I am not as I feel I am being exploited. He never takes a break either. He too is rather tired of getting back after 3 also now. He's not long in RM so still in the do what you are told phase by management.

What is this HR1 form? I have been pleading for them to time how long the run takes yet they never have nor do I expect them too.
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Getting tired of being forced to do OT

Post by Hitcher »

alloria wrote:There is someone in our office that has a similar problem. He suffers from mild Autism, and it shows! The managers use this against him knowing that he has trouble arguing back, and will often intimidate him to working over his time. They even put him on one of the biggest duties in the office, and he is often accused of being lazy or slow. So having been watching this for a while, I can imagine you must not be having a good time.
For his sake bring this to the attention of your rep.
new2me
Posts: 104
Joined: 21 Nov 2013, 06:36
Gender: Male

Re: Getting tired of being forced to do OT

Post by new2me »

Hitcher wrote:
alloria wrote:There is someone in our office that has a similar problem. He suffers from mild Autism, and it shows! The managers use this against him knowing that he has trouble arguing back, and will often intimidate him to working over his time. They even put him on one of the biggest duties in the office, and he is often accused of being lazy or slow. So having been watching this for a while, I can imagine you must not be having a good time.
For his sake bring this to the attention of your rep.
Seriously disappointed that someone can just watch this happen to be honest and I bet it happens a lot around the country.
Sergeant Blast
Posts: 140
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 22:09
Gender: Male
Location: Up North

Re: Getting tired of being forced to do OT

Post by Sergeant Blast »

new2me wrote:
Hitcher wrote:
alloria wrote:There is someone in our office that has a similar problem. He suffers from mild Autism, and it shows! The managers use this against him knowing that he has trouble arguing back, and will often intimidate him to working over his time. They even put him on one of the biggest duties in the office, and he is often accused of being lazy or slow. So having been watching this for a while, I can imagine you must not be having a good time.
For his sake bring this to the attention of your rep.
Seriously disappointed that someone can just watch this happen to be honest and I bet it happens a lot around the country.
I would also send Moya an email giving details. This sort of behaviour is disgusting and should not be tolerated.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Getting tired of being forced to do OT

Post by bustedflush »

Ok, so it's not 'temp abuse' which makes me surprised you haven't put your foot down here. If I had the comfort of a perm contract and 5 years service I would certainly do so. If you insist on doing as these replies say, working to time and telling the DIM/lino in front of the rep then they haven't a leg to stand on. In fact I have recently (despite being a temp) started to tell my lino every time I'm put on a long job and/or paired with a slow that I want bringing back on time. Surprisingly, only two responses: Firstly if the partner/slow offers to finish off on their own for o/t after bringing me back then they don't seem bothered and that's that. Secondly, if the partner won't go over on o/t then we have to ring at 1pm. so the lino/DIM knows how much is coming back and can docket it. Now obviously this is dependant on how approachable your DIM/linos are. We have had new ones recently and they seem a much fairer more tolerant regime. I trust yours are less so.