ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How to deal with a lying DOM?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
JimmyGandalf
Posts: 14
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 03:44
Gender: Male

How to deal with a lying DOM?

Post by JimmyGandalf »

Hi there,

I started as a Postman in an office local to me last year. I was taken on at the same time as one other person.

A few weeks ago, the other starter was approached by the Dom asking him to transfer to another office, which is considerably further than the one we work in. The postie refused, said he was leaving soon anyway, and was happy doing his contracted (25) hours. I, on the other hand, have worked every hour I have been asked to do, every rest day, in a number of offices on numerous walks with no complaint.

As the postie refused, I was then approached to be transferred. I was told as the other postie refused to go, I had no choice or I would be out of a job. As a tempter, I was assured by the manager (with texts on my phone proving this) that if I moved, I would be given a permanent contract. I accepted, having no choice but at least I would be getting a proper contract. I quit the part time job I had been holding onto "just in case".

I turn up for work at the new office, the managers didn't even seem aware I had transferred, thinking me there for the day. I was stuck on some horrible full-time duty, and since then my pay has been wrong pretty much every week. Last weekend, a lovely contract-sized envelope pops through my door. I open it, and low and behold, another month's extension to my current temporary fixed term contract! I contact the Dom of my previous office immediately, he says "Don't worry, I'll sort it". Middle of this week, rings again: "Actually, there are a number of people at your new office on temp contracts, and only two of you will get the permanent contracts. It's out of my hands. Goodbye".

So, now I have quit my other job, and it seems that next month only the best will be kept on. I have to compete with workers who have been there longer, are friendly with the managers, know more walks and duties and are much more familiar with the city than me.

From a CWU perspective, where do I stand? I have been lied to, and deceived. And, to top it off, I have discovered the postie who refused to move and is leaving soon to pursue a career in the RAF was given a permanent contract! The Royal Mail is a f***ing joke.
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: How to deal with a lying DOM?

Post by stokes11eg »

:shock: If you have proof you were offerd a permanent contract, and this is not the case--I'd take it all the way!
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: How to deal with a lying DOM?

Post by krussel »

When the Postie leaves for the RAF the office will have a vacant duty. Why not get in touch with the rep there and asked to be moved back ? The fact you have been so messed around should put you in a strong position.

Lesson. Do not believe anything you are told by RM unless you have it signed in a official document. Even then if its a pay deal they go back on their word. :arrrghhh
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: How to deal with a lying DOM?

Post by bustedflush »

I would sue them - ask the CWU for possible legal assistance. This is totally wrong.
peggy
Posts: 3
Joined: 18 Feb 2014, 11:59
Gender: Male

Re: How to deal with a lying DOM?

Post by peggy »

bustedflush wrote:I would sue them - ask the CWU for possible legal assistance. This is totally wrong.
Ask the CWU???? That's a waste of time.......you might as well ask the cat!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: How to deal with a lying DOM?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

peggy wrote:
bustedflush wrote:I would sue them - ask the CWU for possible legal assistance. This is totally wrong.
Ask the CWU???? That's a waste of time.......you might as well ask the cat!
So what's your advice then or is this just a drive by. I understand you have had bad experiences of the Union in your office, but not all offices are the same.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: How to deal with a lying DOM?

Post by bustedflush »

peggy wrote:
bustedflush wrote:I would sue them - ask the CWU for possible legal assistance. This is totally wrong.
Ask the CWU???? That's a waste of time.......you might as well ask the cat!
How do you know until you try? Don't forget, you can bypass your DO rep anyway on legal matters, you simply ring their helpline. They helped me fine after my van accident and I had only joined 2 weeks before hand. A contract can be inferred or verbal as well as written, and I believe the OP has a right to feel very aggrieved. He has suffered stress, loss and disruption and I feel has been totally stitched up here.
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: How to deal with a lying DOM?

Post by coxie »

Push it all the way if you have proof
JimmyGandalf
Posts: 14
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 03:44
Gender: Male

Re: How to deal with a lying DOM?

Post by JimmyGandalf »

Thanks everyone. Going to speak to the rep in the office (soon as I find out who he is!), tell him the situation and show him the texts of the Dom. I'm a union rep at a warehouse I also work at and this sort of bollocks would end in a formal grievance and possibly legal action, but I'm still new to the wonderful world of Royal Mail and thought I'd see what you lot thought!

I'm more than happy to fight my corner and take it all the way, just worry that because I'm still on a temp contract they'll just boot me out under the "business reorganization" line and save themselves any more trouble.

Thanks again.