ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Health Problem!
-
llcoolh
- Posts: 129
- Joined: 05 Nov 2012, 08:58
- Gender: Male
Health Problem!
I have just been diagnosed with a groin hernia and is scheduled to have an operation soon. I was just wondering, from anyone that had the same condition, following your operation, how long did you stay away from work and how soon did you resume your full duties at work or were you just put on indoor duties?
Many thanks in advance.
Many thanks in advance.
Last edited by llcoolh on 09 Jun 2014, 12:39, edited 2 times in total.
-
lala
- Posts: 189
- Joined: 19 Oct 2012, 19:57
- Gender: Male
Re: Advice Please!
Sorry to hear the health problem. Cant help with the question but you can expect a welcome back with stage warning for being off! The union should try getting something done about stage warnings when people have had operations and need recovery time after. After all, the attendance procedure isn't about penalizing genuine absences!
-
jamwell
- Posts: 53
- Joined: 23 May 2007, 14:05
Re: Advice Please!
I've had a groin hernia, I was signed off for 4 weeks at first and then another 2 weeks after returning to the hospital for a check up. Then did a week on light duties before fully returning to work.llcoolh wrote:I have just been diagnosed with a groin hernia and is scheduled to have an operation soon. I was just wondering, from anyone that had the same condition, following your operation, how long did you stay away from work and how soon did you resume your full duties at work or were you just put on indoor duties?
Many thanks in advance.
And I got a stage warning for it..........
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Advice Please!
A guy at work had this. He was on indoor duties for 2 weeks after followed by a 1 week on 1/2 delivery. His fine now and reg puts in 25 hours ot.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
dre33dd
- Posts: 96
- Joined: 04 Mar 2010, 19:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Advice Please!
I took the recommende 8 weeks off...atos on the other hand had other ideas....I took my dr's advice and took the full 8..
Was kindly given a stage one.....
Was kindly given a stage one.....
-
Lou84
- Posts: 162
- Joined: 09 May 2012, 21:42
- Gender: Female
Re: Advice Please!
I had a similar operation in the groin area, surgeon signed me off for 2 weeks but due to the nature of the job I went back to my doctor and got signed off 4 weeks, went back to work with 2 weeks indoors but got rushed out on delivery thanks to the DOM and ended up going sick again and getting signed off for a further 3 weeks.
Then having moaned at ATOS I had something like 6 - 8 weeks on rehab, I was back out on full duties by December but managed to blag myself with union support packet deliveries ;-)
Don't rush your recovery for the sake of the job, express to your doctor how physical and demanding the job is now !
Another specialist told me recovery was more likely 6 - 10 weeks, as you can't really rest the groin area like you could a broken arm or leg.
Good luck and take care !
Then having moaned at ATOS I had something like 6 - 8 weeks on rehab, I was back out on full duties by December but managed to blag myself with union support packet deliveries ;-)
Don't rush your recovery for the sake of the job, express to your doctor how physical and demanding the job is now !
Another specialist told me recovery was more likely 6 - 10 weeks, as you can't really rest the groin area like you could a broken arm or leg.
Good luck and take care !
-
pop it in pete
- Posts: 351
- Joined: 09 Jun 2007, 23:03
- Location: lazy town
Re: Advice Please!
Your Doctor will advise you on your medical matters. That's the only person you should listen to not anecdotal evidence on here, no matter how helpful it is.
As for work, get advice from your local rep and keep both them and your manager informed as far in advance as possible of any foreseen time off.
Don't rush back, your health must come first above all else.
Good luck
As for work, get advice from your local rep and keep both them and your manager informed as far in advance as possible of any foreseen time off.
Don't rush back, your health must come first above all else.
Good luck
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16692
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Advice Please!
Unfortunately the doctor won't understand how physical the job is.pop it in pete wrote:Your Doctor will advise you on your medical matters.
When I had a vasectomy the doctor told me I would probably be at work the following day. I took 10 days off.
When I had a Knee operation, they said I should take 2 weeks off. I took 6.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Whysoslowyehcfc
- Posts: 238
- Joined: 02 Apr 2014, 15:57
- Gender: Male
Re: Advice Please!
If they try to issue you with a stage, tell them you will be taking a grievance out against them and then leave the room, you will be surprised how quick they will change their mind
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
-
llcoolh
- Posts: 129
- Joined: 05 Nov 2012, 08:58
- Gender: Male
Re: Advice Please!
Thanks to everyone.
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Re: Advice Please!
lala wrote:Sorry to hear the health problem. Cant help with the question but you can expect a welcome back with stage warning for being off! The union should try getting something done about stage warnings when people have had operations and need recovery time after. After all, the attendance procedure isn't about penalizing genuine absences!
Would be nice if the CWU could look into this. The warning system is designed to treat everyone equally.... as a skiver!
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Advice Please!
I find it incredible that RM can invoke the absence stage process when people have time off for operations, often occurring as a result of their walking miles each day. Surely common-sense should prevail and the rep insist the stage is not invoked, or if it is, it is subsequently revoked.clashcityrocker wrote:Unfortunately the doctor won't understand how physical the job is.pop it in pete wrote:Your Doctor will advise you on your medical matters.
When I had a vasectomy the doctor told me I would probably be at work the following day. I took 10 days off.
When I had a Knee operation, they said I should take 2 weeks off. I took 6.
After that van smash in December where my knee was damaged, there was no way I could've walked for at least a month and that was without an operation. I can't believe a doctor, knowing you walk 5 or more miles a day, could ever recommend returning after 2 weeks.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Hernia!
The standard time off following a inguinal hernia operation is 8 weeks with a possible return to work on light duties for a further 2 weeks. Having been diagnosed with a hernia and waiting for a date for your operation you would be placed on light duties. Your hernia would be the result of the work carried out at RM and this needs to be emphasised when and if you receive a stage warning for your absence, Ensure that your union rep accompanies you at your formal absence interview and id the interviewing manager has any common sense will waive your stage warning.
-
fredtheegg
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 53
- Joined: 17 Nov 2011, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Hernia!
A few years ago I suffered a hernia after lifting heavy bags of a York. Before my operation my doctor prescribed a support for me so I could carry on working. I could not pick anything up at all without.
My manager was very supportive. I was off for a month after the operation. ATOS called me twice and told me not to go back to work. On return to work my manager threw out my stage as he realised it was unfair. Any proper manager will do the same.
Take your time for the operation to heal. When you get back to work always be careful how you lift anything. Once a hernia has been repaired it can go again. So please be careful. I still am after 8 years or more
My manager was very supportive. I was off for a month after the operation. ATOS called me twice and told me not to go back to work. On return to work my manager threw out my stage as he realised it was unfair. Any proper manager will do the same.
Take your time for the operation to heal. When you get back to work always be careful how you lift anything. Once a hernia has been repaired it can go again. So please be careful. I still am after 8 years or more