ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
An old git's thoughts.
-
zurdo
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 12 Dec 2010, 17:15
- Gender: Male
An old git's thoughts.
I've been retired over 3 years now, after working for over 20 years. I worked in a rural office and we were mainly left alone to get on with the job. We had complaints but if we did extra duties we claimed and were paid overtime etc. The office was closed and the posties now work from a larger delivery office over 10 miles away.
Reading the posts on here and chatting to my ex-colleagues it's plain that morale and job satisfaction are at an all time low.
I sympathise with today's postmen and the crap they now have to put up with. I appreciate that changes have to happen but the way Royal Mail is implementing these changes with bullying, harassment etc. is a disgrace.
I may have missed out on free shares and wage increases but I thank my lucky stars I'm out of it now. I only hope things improve for you all.
Reading the posts on here and chatting to my ex-colleagues it's plain that morale and job satisfaction are at an all time low.
I sympathise with today's postmen and the crap they now have to put up with. I appreciate that changes have to happen but the way Royal Mail is implementing these changes with bullying, harassment etc. is a disgrace.
I may have missed out on free shares and wage increases but I thank my lucky stars I'm out of it now. I only hope things improve for you all.
-
teddybear1948
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 23 Mar 2011, 19:01
- Gender: Male
Re: An old git's thoughts.
Couldnt agree more.I was fortunate enough to retire in January after 11 years and can barely believe what people have to put up with on a daily basis in some offices to get overtime pay or uniform or days off or whatever.Right up until the day I left I hardly had any problems at all ,certainly no bullying and such like.My shares have been sold and the old bones are being rested .I wish all those still working the very best of luck for what at best looks an uncertain future
-
jw1234
- Posts: 76
- Joined: 08 Dec 2011, 20:07
- Gender: Male
Re: An old git's thoughts.
Before Royal Mail provided a service. Now RMs aim is to make a profit.
-
maisymoo04
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: You dont want to no
Re: An old git's thoughts.
Thanks for that teddy bear love u tooteddybear1948 wrote:Couldnt agree more.I was fortunate enough to retire in January after 11 years and can barely believe what people have to put up with on a daily basis in some offices to get overtime pay or uniform or days off or whatever.Right up until the day I left I hardly had any problems at all ,certainly no bullying and such like.My shares have been sold and the old bones are being rested .I wish all those still working the very best of luck for what at best looks an uncertain future
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
-
Chelseablue
- Posts: 2222
- Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
- Gender: Female
Re: An old git's thoughts.
It's hard for the older guys like us who've bin in this job for a good few years, the thought of dragging your body round you're delivery till you're 68 is indeed a nightmare. This job does wreck you're body .
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: An old git's thoughts.
Am I the only person who doesn't want to retire? I know I'll have to but I haven't given that much thought about it. I don't feel old, I think 65 is the new 50!
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Re: An old git's thoughts.
all depends on what you're duty is like dv.....mines shyte. i think 55 is the new 70. i cant wait to get out.dvbuk55 wrote:Am I the only person who doesn't want to retire? I know I'll have to but I haven't given that much thought about it. I don't feel old, I think 65 is the new 50!
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: An old git's thoughts.
Well I have to say I'm fortunate to work indoors now, only work part time over 4 days for 20 hours. I think the business should allow you to work part time as you get older, when work is more important than money.daveyeff wrote:all depends on what you're duty is like dv.....mines shyte. i think 55 is the new 70. i cant wait to get out.dvbuk55 wrote:Am I the only person who doesn't want to retire? I know I'll have to but I haven't given that much thought about it. I don't feel old, I think 65 is the new 50!
-
beezet
- Posts: 93
- Joined: 06 Dec 2013, 18:56
- Gender: Male
Re: An old git's thoughts.
cant agree more, if i could afford to go part time i would as ive only been in for 15 years and no other pension ill have to drag myself round my walk for another two and a half years, no chance of a rural all the young guys have taken them, just have to carry on as long as i can managedaveyeff wrote:all depends on what you're duty is like dv.....mines shyte. i think 55 is the new 70. i cant wait to get out.dvbuk55 wrote:Am I the only person who doesn't want to retire? I know I'll have to but I haven't given that much thought about it. I don't feel old, I think 65 is the new 50!
-
PHARRY
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 327
- Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
- Gender: Male
Re: An old git's thoughts.
I think 56 is the new 80 I'm knackerd and worn out I'm only 56beezet wrote:cant agree more, if i could afford to go part time i would as ive only been in for 15 years and no other pension ill have to drag myself round my walk for another two and a half years, no chance of a rural all the young guys have taken them, just have to carry on as long as i can managedaveyeff wrote:all depends on what you're duty is like dv.....mines shyte. i think 55 is the new 70. i cant wait to get out.dvbuk55 wrote:Am I the only person who doesn't want to retire? I know I'll have to but I haven't given that much thought about it. I don't feel old, I think 65 is the new 50!
-
BoltonPostie
- Posts: 328
- Joined: 09 Jul 2007, 17:20
- Gender: Male
- Location: Up s**t creek.
Re: An old git's thoughts.
Well there you go then.dvbuk55 wrote:Well I have to say I'm fortunate to work indoors now, only work part time over 4 days for 20 hours. I think the business should allow you to work part time as you get older, when work is more important than money.daveyeff wrote:all depends on what you're duty is like dv.....mines shyte. i think 55 is the new 70. i cant wait to get out.dvbuk55 wrote:Am I the only person who doesn't want to retire? I know I'll have to but I haven't given that much thought about it. I don't feel old, I think 65 is the new 50!
It's easy to like a job when your doing feck all,and I don't call reading the paper and wanking over the racing post and brewing up as work.
Still I bet you was put out scanning in all those bar codes.
When work is more important
The grabbing hands
Grab all they can
All for themselves
After all
Grab all they can
All for themselves
After all
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: An old git's thoughts.
Some years ago there was a job share scheme whereby 2 people would sort a weeks work between them and thereby allowing people to work shorter weeks and/or hours. I understand there may be fiscal considerations but earning less over a longer period may be better than earning a lot over a shorter period but burning out in the process.
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Re: An old git's thoughts.
well, a light that burns twice as bright only burns half as long, and we are working twice as hard now on delivery,,,,,so we are burning out in half the time. most of us old school are crippled/gammy/decrepid/totally fecked. the job is for athletes now.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: An old git's thoughts.
BoltonPostie wrote:When work is more important,you've been indoors with the cretins(managers) to long.
Has my job become harder?, yes it has, do I have to take on more work?, yes I do, do I get the delivery supplement
-
dave7634
- Posts: 289
- Joined: 08 Jun 2007, 08:54
Re: An old git's thoughts.
2 people in our office indeed do that and share a full-time driving duty. Each person comes in every other week (one on and one off). DOM has to agree with it and if (a) or (b) retires then, unless you can find a replacement member of staff then you're back to full-time hours afaikdvbuk55 wrote:Some years ago there was a job share scheme whereby 2 people would sort a weeks work between them and thereby allowing people to work shorter weeks and/or hours. I understand there may be fiscal considerations but earning less over a longer period may be better than earning a lot over a shorter period but burning out in the process.