ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Being off sick after 8months at Royal Mail.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Being off sick after 8months at Royal Mail.

Post by postiewhite »

Bit worried about this one because I havent been an employee that long. Ive just had 5 days annual leave of which I went abroad for a break. On thursday I started feeling ill,coughing and running a high temperature so on friday when I came back I went to bed. I started feeling worse,cold,sore throat,shivers,fever etc which points to the sign of flu. I woke saturday and could barely move and I knew I was due back to work monday so I phoned my boss and explained that its doubtful id be in monday because of what I have. Any idiot would have heard how ill I sounded over the phone. Anyway I said id ring monday morning to give him an update of how Iam. As of now I feel exactly the same except my temperature has risen to 38.6 and i feel ive been run over. The thing is im rarely ill,I can count on 2 hands how many days ive had off in the last 10years so I want to know if its wise to see a doctor in the morning and go into work and produce a sick note if he gives me one. I dont wanna feel im blagging with having a week off. Im genuinly knocked for 6 with this bug.
Pinky 1
Posts: 1510
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
Gender: Male
Location: Wales

Re: Being off sick after 8months at Royal Mail.

Post by Pinky 1 »

If you're as bad as you seem to think you are, i would have thought a trip to A & E would be in order. Tell them where you've been and let them diagnose it.
You never know what you could have contracted.
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Being off sick after 8months at Royal Mail.

Post by aiden01 »

cant be so bad if your able to post on here :nana
spen
Posts: 531
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 19:53
Gender: Male

Re: Being off sick after 8months at Royal Mail.

Post by spen »

If your genuinely sick then your sick, nothing anyone can do bout it, happens to everyone at somepoint, take a couple of days off sick, get better, then go back to work
gluteus maximus
Posts: 241
Joined: 12 Oct 2013, 15:08
Gender: Male

Re: Being off sick after 8months at Royal Mail.

Post by gluteus maximus »

may i ask what country you visited
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Re: Being off sick after 8months at Royal Mail.

Post by postiewhite »

Spain. I used to live there. Ive a feeling its something ive picked up on the plane on the way out.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Being off sick after 8months at Royal Mail.

Post by Lounge Lizard »

postiewhite wrote:Bit worried about this one because I havent been an employee that long. Ive just had 5 days annual leave of which I went abroad for a break. On thursday I started feeling ill,coughing and running a high temperature so on friday when I came back I went to bed. I started feeling worse,cold,sore throat,shivers,fever etc which points to the sign of flu. I woke saturday and could barely move and I knew I was due back to work monday so I phoned my boss and explained that its doubtful id be in monday because of what I have. Any idiot would have heard how ill I sounded over the phone. Anyway I said id ring monday morning to give him an update of how Iam. As of now I feel exactly the same except my temperature has risen to 38.6 and i feel ive been run over. The thing is im rarely ill,I can count on 2 hands how many days ive had off in the last 10years so I want to know if its wise to see a doctor in the morning and go into work and produce a sick note if he gives me one. I dont wanna feel im blagging with having a week off. Im genuinly knocked for 6 with this bug.
Sounds nasty, but there's some good medicines about now and you might survive. :Very Happy
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Re: Being off sick after 8months at Royal Mail.

Post by postiewhite »

Im sure ill survive but with a constant high running temperature and feeling of dizziness and being lethargic do I wanna be going back to work while I have these symptoms? I have to ring my boss tomorrow to let him know if im in tuesday but im still running a temperature ill need to see a doc. Would it best to actually go and see my boss so he can see how poorly iam? I dont wanna feel like im blagging cos im not
spen
Posts: 531
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 19:53
Gender: Male

Re: Being off sick after 8months at Royal Mail.

Post by spen »

No,, your dom is not a doctor nor is he medically trained
gluteus maximus
Posts: 241
Joined: 12 Oct 2013, 15:08
Gender: Male

Re: Being off sick after 8months at Royal Mail.

Post by gluteus maximus »

Presenteeism is the worse thing you can do, if you are that ill it must be a Viralent bug so keep it to yourself
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Being off sick after 8months at Royal Mail.

Post by Lounge Lizard »

gluteus maximus wrote:Presenteeism is the worse thing you can do, if you are that ill it must be a Viralent bug so keep it to yourself
- except his colleagues would welcome him passing it on to the DOM. :nana :wave
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Being off sick after 8months at Royal Mail.

Post by krussel »

Go to your Gp and get signed off for a week (if poss get a docs cert). Phone your dom and keep him / her up to date. You get 7 days self cert sick anyway but if you manage to get a cert and the dom wants it then If possible (if you live in your office area) get a postie to pick up the cert, if not post the cert to your office. Job done and recover. Phone the day before when you feel well enough to go back.

If you dom phones you be polite but don't go back till your 100%. :thumbup
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Re: Being off sick after 8months at Royal Mail.

Post by postiewhite »

Well Ive agreed to go in tomorrow because when i woke I didnt feel too bad, but i started feeling poorly again today. The flu has turned into bronchitis anyway the last day or so and i still have this constant feeling of slight spinning but thats when my temperature goes up which it has done a few times today (a symptom of the flu). Ive booked an.appointment to see the doc after work tomorrow so i think the right thing to do is when im in in the morning to tell my boss im still not right. The thing is you get the feeling your getting rushed back to work even.though he probably doesnt have any problem finding someone to cover me.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: Being off sick after 8months at Royal Mail.

Post by Barbel »

postiewhite wrote:Well Ive agreed to go in tomorrow because when i woke I didnt feel too bad, but i started feeling poorly again today. The flu has turned into bronchitis anyway the last day or so and i still have this constant feeling of slight spinning but thats when my temperature goes up which it has done a few times today (a symptom of the flu). Ive booked an.appointment to see the doc after work tomorrow so i think the right thing to do is when im in in the morning to tell my boss im still not right. The thing is you get the feeling your getting rushed back to work even.though he probably doesnt have any problem finding someone to cover me.

That's what happened to me. I was ill with what felt like flu, had a week off then last week got a stinking cold, a bad cough and hot and cold sweats. I had to force myself in though as I'd been off only a month earlier. I don't think in this job you allow your body to totally get over it, just as you start to feel better you go in and put a strain on your already strained body and bingo you're ill again.
Gills_Postie
Posts: 61
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 10:14
Gender: Male

Re: Being off sick after 8months at Royal Mail.

Post by Gills_Postie »

Self cert for 7 days then get a note from the docs if need be after the 7 days. There is no point dragging yourself to the docs if you feel bad, and certainly don't go into work to show your DOM your runny nose. If he doesn't believe you that's his problem, follow the correct procedure and theres nothing he can do.