ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

On a different walk next week

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Selhurst
Posts: 120
Joined: 04 Oct 2020, 12:16
Gender: Male

On a different walk next week

Post by Selhurst »

Been assigned a different walk next week. Is there anyway I can find the walk on the internet, so I can prepare?
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Re: On a different walk next week

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

Have a look at the frame and see what’s on it. Don’t sweat it too much, tell the Lino it’s a new one for you and you will give it a good crack but don’t expect to get it done as quick as someone who has done it a 1000 times. Honestly don’t worry, you will be on your own so just take your time.
sorefeet17
Posts: 299
Joined: 11 May 2015, 17:10
Gender: Male

Re: On a different walk next week

Post by sorefeet17 »

Shouldn't you be trained on a route if you have never done it before? I know some are easier to learn than others but still officially you should be with someone who knows it for a couple of days.
Google maps if you are on your own, good luck
Selhurst
Posts: 120
Joined: 04 Oct 2020, 12:16
Gender: Male

Re: On a different walk next week

Post by Selhurst »

sorefeet17 wrote: ↑
23 Apr 2021, 19:16
Shouldn't you be trained on a route if you have never done it before? I know some are easier to learn than others but still officially you should be with someone who knows it for a couple of days.
Google maps if you are on your own, good luck
Thanks for your reply. Never been out on a walk with anyone other than when I was training last year. I go onto ViaMichelin website that was recommended on a post. This gives numbers of the houses on the roads. I then print the maps out and do a recky on the Sunday by having a drive round. I always said I’d take the Mrs out on a Sunday morning :Very Happy :oops: :d'oh! so I presume the walks are all on the office database?
ArthurPewty
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Dec 2016, 17:15
Gender: Male

Re: On a different walk next week

Post by ArthurPewty »

Maybe too late, but if you're in tomorrow (Sat) ask the gaffer to get someone who knows the walk to WRITE DOWN how to do it. Explain (as DOM's are generally a bit thick) that it's in his interest as, if you've been given instructions how to do it, you'll DELIVER A LOT MORE MAIL than if you are muddling through it blind. Good luck :thumbup
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Re: On a different walk next week

Post by 97gaz »

Selhurst wrote: ↑
23 Apr 2021, 19:45


so I presume the walks are all on the office database?
You can ask the DOM or Dom Support to print you off a copy of the sequence. Failing that, take the sheets out of the walk log and ask the office staff to photocopy them.
centenaryman
Posts: 512
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
Gender: Male

Re: On a different walk next week

Post by centenaryman »

sorefeet17 wrote: ↑
23 Apr 2021, 19:16
Shouldn't you be trained on a route if you have never done it before? I know some are easier to learn than others but still officially you should be with someone who knows it for a couple of days.
Google maps if you are on your own, good luck
ordinary postman getting each walk training never happens at our place.....the only walk we get trained on is the rural or firms walks
but as a normal walk once youve started thats it same posting idea just a different street
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Re: On a different walk next week

Post by Seymour Buts »

Knowing where to park is the only thing that really matters unless there's firms or hidden flats ect that are hard to get to. If you know where to park, following the post is the best way to learn. I downloaded maps and things when I first started but just found it to be information overload to be honest.
worthings
Posts: 12
Joined: 08 Jun 2014, 21:18
Gender: Male

Re: On a different walk next week

Post by worthings »

Only got trained on one round when I first started now done over 70 rounds
sorefeet17
Posts: 299
Joined: 11 May 2015, 17:10
Gender: Male

Re: On a different walk next week

Post by sorefeet17 »

Selhurst wrote: ↑
23 Apr 2021, 19:45
sorefeet17 wrote: ↑
23 Apr 2021, 19:16
Shouldn't you be trained on a route if you have never done it before? I know some are easier to learn than others but still officially you should be with someone who knows it for a couple of days.
Google maps if you are on your own, good luck
Thanks for your reply. Never been out on a walk with anyone other than when I was training last year. I go onto ViaMichelin website that was recommended on a post. This gives numbers of the houses on the roads. I then print the maps out and do a recky on the Sunday by having a drive round. I always said I’d take the Mrs out on a Sunday morning :Very Happy :oops: :d'oh! so I presume the walks are all on the office database?
Like some of the others have said there is a walk log, it should be in a folder on top of the frame or somewhere around it, the walk log is basically a printout of individual addresses in order as they are on the frame.
Post_Alone
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 19
Joined: 15 Nov 2020, 20:02
Gender: Female

Re: On a different walk next week

Post by Post_Alone »

We follow numbers on doors . It can't be that hard.
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Re: On a different walk next week

Post by twoloops »

Never understood this "Not been on a walk before" follow the frame as it's set out, the only time walks become difficult is when posties try & improve it by swooping things about, the staff that set up these walks, that's what they get paid good money for, they are experts in their field :crazy:
blacov
Posts: 397
Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
Gender: Male

Re: On a different walk next week

Post by blacov »

twoloops wrote: ↑
25 Apr 2021, 06:38
Never understood this "Not been on a walk before" follow the frame as it's set out, the only time walks become difficult is when posties try & improve it by swooping things about, the staff that set up these walks, that's what they get paid good money for, they are experts in their field :crazy:
In my office it's a recipe for a disaster on majority of walks. Follow the frame and even if you know what's where and are an experienced postie yourself you will end up cutting off or booking overtime.
Roccat4
Posts: 25
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:39
Gender: Male

Re: On a different walk next week

Post by Roccat4 »

Well, if it is that bad why walk holders didn't get it changed? :crazy:

On a serious note, as being on a new walk was quite a regular thing for me (untill DO run out of a new walks for me :wink:): Unless somebody had a time to give me few tips i tie it down by the frame,( keeping streets in separate bundles if possible). After first day you should be able to figure out most of the tricky bits.
If not rurals, not exactly a rocket science usually.
Iknockedtwice
Posts: 47
Joined: 28 Jul 2019, 18:57
Gender: Male

Re: On a different walk next week

Post by Iknockedtwice »

I’ve been in the job 20 months and have covered 52 different walks so far.
Don’t sweat it, there will be plenty of people who know the walk to give you advice on tying up and if it’s a van duty just follow the loops unless told otherwise. If it’s an HCT walk the frame will be set out as if you are to push the trolley from start to finish but there will inevitably be loops so you won’t need to.