ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Bullying/intimidation
-
Jamiechelt
- Posts: 74
- Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 19:35
- Gender: Male
Bullying/intimidation
How best to deal with this from a manager? I absolutely dread going in nowadays. The guy acts super awkwardly and twists your words and makes you feel small. I'm fed up. Will a complaint make any difference or will he then be out to get me?
Anyone got any experiences?
Anyone got any experiences?
-
Numberone63
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 621
- Joined: 05 Sep 2017, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Bullying/intimidation
I think that’s how they get taught in Royal Mail management school. Just say yes and no in the right places, smile and do you best in the shift time that you have. A nice young lady from our office left after a few months posting to be assimilated into a manager. She is a regular stand in back here now and is pretty much as you describe. We are just the workers bees. Let them worry about all the rest of it.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Bullying/intimidation
We all know Bullying takes many forms. Check out the Stickies, this subject has arisen many times.
If you're not a very outspoken person, or the quiet unassuming type, it's too easy to let this bullying continue because you feel unable to do anything about it.
The general consus on most of the posts I've read, concerning Harassment & Bullying, is to phone the help line. There is one I'm sure someone on here can provide a link. It's nothing to do with the usual chain of management so I believe that's a better option.
No idea how effective it is, although with this New CEO trying to improve everything you might get a better response nowadays. Main Thing DON'T GET STRESSED OVER IT! Good luck
If you're not a very outspoken person, or the quiet unassuming type, it's too easy to let this bullying continue because you feel unable to do anything about it.
The general consus on most of the posts I've read, concerning Harassment & Bullying, is to phone the help line. There is one I'm sure someone on here can provide a link. It's nothing to do with the usual chain of management so I believe that's a better option.
No idea how effective it is, although with this New CEO trying to improve everything you might get a better response nowadays. Main Thing DON'T GET STRESSED OVER IT! Good luck
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Jamiechelt
- Posts: 74
- Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 19:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Bullying/intimidation
Thank you. I'd love that link. Just need to see what can be done. I am.the quiet type, very peaceful. I dont like confrontationDorset Plodder wrote: ↑18 Apr 2021, 09:18We all know Bullying takes many forms. Check out the Stickies, this subject has arisen many times.![]()
If you're not a very outspoken person, or the quiet unassuming type, it's too easy to let this bullying continue because you feel unable to do anything about it.
The general consus on most of the posts I've read, concerning Harassment & Bullying, is to phone the help line. There is one I'm sure someone on here can provide a link. It's nothing to do with the usual chain of management so I believe that's a better option.![]()
No idea how effective it is, although with this New CEO trying to improve everything you might get a better response nowadays. Main Thing DON'T GET STRESSED OVER IT! Good luck![]()
-
Jamiechelt
- Posts: 74
- Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 19:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Bullying/intimidation
Yes I reckon so. Never met a decent honest manager in my life.Numberone63 wrote: ↑18 Apr 2021, 09:18I think that’s how they get taught in Royal Mail management school. Just say yes and no in the right places, smile and do you best in the shift time that you have. A nice young lady from our office left after a few months posting to be assimilated into a manager. She is a regular stand in back here now and is pretty much as you describe. We are just the workers bees. Let them worry about all the rest of it.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Bullying/intimidation
It's generally the quieter characters that DOMs like to pick on .... Cowards the lot of them!Jamiechelt wrote: ↑18 Apr 2021, 09:36
Thank you. I'd love that link. Just need to see what can be done. I am.the quiet type, very peaceful. I dont like confrontation
I'm a bit of a Luddite, so no link, you'll have to go Old School! Try 0800 5874 777, or another number is: 0800 200 3300. I wouldn't expect anyone to be there today, it's only posties they expect to work on a Sunday. Good luck.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
Re: Bullying/intimidation
I echo what DorsetPlodder says, been there myself.
Info as at March 2021 https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/mrm/Rai ... ummary.pdf
Info as at March 2021 https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/mrm/Rai ... ummary.pdf
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
Dindin
- Posts: 491
- Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Bullying/intimidation
Hi sorry about your situation do you work in my office? I've had the fear of going in work and it's not right .Jamiechelt wrote: ↑18 Apr 2021, 09:00How best to deal with this from a manager? I absolutely dread going in nowadays. The guy acts super awkwardly and twists your words and makes you feel small. I'm fed up. Will a complaint make any difference or will he then be out to get me?
Anyone got any experiences?
If he's being super awkward walk away and approach the union .
Let's not fear going in tomorrow .
Take care
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Re: Bullying/intimidation
Simple tip.
Always carry a diary.
Every time a manager starts speaking to you in a way you're not comfortable with pull out the diary and start writing in it. Anything will do, even random s**t.
They'll soon back off.
Always carry a diary.
Every time a manager starts speaking to you in a way you're not comfortable with pull out the diary and start writing in it. Anything will do, even random s**t.
They'll soon back off.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Bullying/intimidation
Good Tip Woody.Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑18 Apr 2021, 14:03Simple tip.
Always carry a diary.
Every time a manager starts speaking to you in a way you're not comfortable with pull out the diary and start writing in it. Anything will do, even random s**t.
They'll soon back off.
I find it never hurts to mention the word "DISCRIMINATION" a few times. Always seems to get the DOMs back-pedaling for some strange reason.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Bullying/intimidation
Normally the best way would be to go straight to the DOMs office and have a word in private. However, in some offices that isn't possible if the manager in question is best buddies with their DOM and you feel that they might round up and gang up on you in some way.
So best bet is the bullying and harassment helpline. It gets recorded and therefore dealt with properly.
So best bet is the bullying and harassment helpline. It gets recorded and therefore dealt with properly.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Bullying/intimidation
Never have a word in private always have a rep or colleague with you.postslippete wrote: ↑18 Apr 2021, 20:50Normally the best way would be to go straight to the DOMs office and have a word in private. However, in some offices that isn't possible if the manager in question is best buddies with their DOM and you feel that they might round up and gang up on you in some way.
So best bet is the bullying and harassment helpline. It gets recorded and therefore dealt with properly.
-
burton76
- Posts: 44
- Joined: 08 Nov 2017, 14:31
- Gender: Female
Re: Bullying/intimidation
I would beware of using the b&H line. It just directs back to one of their pals to deal with.
The b&h line just send you a form - they don't deal with the complaint.
The complaint will be sent to a close manager to the one you complain about.
The b&h line just send you a form - they don't deal with the complaint.
The complaint will be sent to a close manager to the one you complain about.
-
Dindin
- Posts: 491
- Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Bullying/intimidation
The fear of the place is making me tremble for tomorrow.
-
Numberone63
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 621
- Joined: 05 Sep 2017, 18:38
- Gender: Male