ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Internal transfer

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Bobbyh
Posts: 25
Joined: 24 Oct 2016, 22:25
Gender: Male

Internal transfer

Post by Bobbyh »

I’m considering an internal transfer to a d/o closer to where I live but I see the contract is only a 6 months fixed term contract whereas I’m on a permanent contract.

If I expressed interest would my current contract be honoured or would that be at the discretion of the DOM?

Also, am I correct in thinking my seniority would transfer over?
Thanks.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Re: Internal transfer

Post by postiewhite »

The seniority would and should be honoured. As for the fixed term contract I would imagine whoever gets the job would eventually be made into an eventual permanent contract anyway.
I would probably get any agreement in writing though.
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 572
Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
Gender: Male

Re: Internal transfer

Post by Murdoch »

I would not accept a transfer if I were put on a "fixed term" contract.

Be extremely careful with that. Don't let them do that, if you do transfer.
Iknockedtwice
Posts: 47
Joined: 28 Jul 2019, 18:57
Gender: Male

Re: Internal transfer

Post by Iknockedtwice »

If you are accepted for a transfer you will not lose your permanent contract and be put on a temporary one, your contract will simply be amended to reflect your new location (and possibly different working hours).
If the DO only needs someone short term then you won’t be offered the position.
My advice is to apply for everything of interest, regardless of the stated contract length, as you’re not obliged to accept any roles you’re offered.
Bobbyh
Posts: 25
Joined: 24 Oct 2016, 22:25
Gender: Male

Re: Internal transfer

Post by Bobbyh »

Thanks for everyone advise. Much appreciated.