ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Seniority and rural duties.....

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
smartecosse
Posts: 131
Joined: 29 Jan 2019, 18:01
Gender: Male

Seniority and rural duties.....

Post by smartecosse »

Let's say there are 10 rural duties in our office......which effectively need a full timer to cover them due to their size....two are picked by full timers as they actually like those duties.

The other eight are not as the full timers don't want a large duty and pick easier town duties.

This leaves part timers being put on those duties which they physically don't have the time to cover on their 27 and 25 hour contracts.

Does this happen at other offices? Almost half the staff are part timers in our office and pretty much all of the largest duties have to be covered by them.

Yes the duties are unequal in workload especially llnow with volumes of packets but surely if there are what are designated as full time duties these should have to be covered by full time staff?
wallan
Posts: 498
Joined: 09 Apr 2012, 08:12
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority and rural duties.....

Post by wallan »

Why not 2 pt staff go on to 3 day weeks to cover one duty between them
sorefeet17
Posts: 299
Joined: 11 May 2015, 17:10
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority and rural duties.....

Post by sorefeet17 »

Something should be taken off or they should get extra hours for doing them. It sounds like you have a manager who will take advantage of the part-timers, but it is also up to you guys to get him to clarify the exact hours for those routes and then work out a solution, that's his job.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1505
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority and rural duties.....

Post by HTPostman »

In the rural section here I’m the only part timer, I’m a reserve/floater. On the one hand I feel fortunate that I’m allowed full time hours to do these rounds when some of my PT colleagues are on the 1pm shift.

On the other hand I get frustrated that my contract doesn’t resemble the hours I’ve done for the last 3 years now, and I’m not asked each week ‘are you happy starting at 8am on XYZ round’ it’s just expected that I am. It also really pees me off my day off is always a ‘quiet day’ (Tuesday) never a long weekend. Apart from next week of course when no doubt my day off will be good Friday and then the following week when my day off will be the bank holiday Monday. And don’t get me started on fking holiday pay.

I’m then told by the rest of the rural guys (all FT) that we’ve all had to go through it, as if it makes it right, and anyhow I doubt they’ve all had to go through it, all but 1 started on a FT contract.

The only way to do anything about it is to just do my contracted hours but then that puts me back on the 1pm shift. Or to contact the rep who hasn’t replied to my last 2 emails and seems content posting on Facebook that he’s finished work for the day at 12.30. All rounds are equal right?

So I just try to grin and bear it, I’m outta here in 8 years.

I now await the ‘if you’re not happy with a part time contract why did you take the job’ brigade.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority and rural duties.....

Post by SpacePhoenix »

HTPostman wrote: ↑
23 Mar 2021, 12:50
The only way to do anything about it is to just do my contracted hours but then that puts me back on the 1pm shift. Or to contact the rep who hasn’t replied to my last 2 emails and seems content posting on Facebook that he’s finished work for the day at 12.30. All rounds are equal right?
What time is the rep meant to finish at?
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1505
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority and rural duties.....

Post by HTPostman »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
23 Mar 2021, 13:40
HTPostman wrote: ↑
23 Mar 2021, 12:50
The only way to do anything about it is to just do my contracted hours but then that puts me back on the 1pm shift. Or to contact the rep who hasn’t replied to my last 2 emails and seems content posting on Facebook that he’s finished work for the day at 12.30. All rounds are equal right?
What time is the rep meant to finish at?
He has an hour removed from the end of his duty. So 1.45pm on a Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday. 2.15pm on a Wednesday and Thursday.

And I believe these are the people signing off the revisions...
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526