ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The actuals

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

The actuals

Post by Interested-seeker »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
number one wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote: Can't you simply adjust the loops so you take a little bit more and he does a little bit less.
Yeah lets all do more work to accommodate slower workers.
The horror of helping out older or those less physically able people who do their damndest to work hard we should sack them immediately. :crazy:

Now if they are lazy heel draggers, I'd agree with you, its a pity that managers don't use the process that is available to them.
Non Culpable Inefficiency (NCI)https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 36&t=37750
:thumbup
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

The actuals

Post by number one »

antcpfc wrote:Been in this firm for 33 years and it's alwàys been the same. If you are efficient and good at the Job you get penalised while the slower ones are given help etc.
I'm 56 soon and could do any of the walks in my office easily in the time allowed ,I dont run and do it properly yet some go over daily and book OT.

Exactly the same in my office. It’s not the walks it’s the person on it. It takes my rotation man roughly the same time on all his 5 walks he covers give or take 15/20 minutes yet on one of his walks the walk holder books 2:30hrs a day. My rotation man never books extended as he never goes over.
par4mrl
Posts: 89
Joined: 21 Feb 2013, 22:34
Gender: Male

The actuals

Post by par4mrl »

I’m sure if I was running a business and paying someone an 8 hour day and they said to me I’ve done what you asked in 6 hours can I go home....I’d find them more work.......
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

The actuals

Post by number one »

par4mrl wrote:I’m sure if I was running a business and paying someone an 8 hour day and they said to me I’ve done what you asked in 6 hours can I go home....I’d find them more work.......
I’m sure if I wanted some painting doing on my house and got quotes off two painters who charge by the day. If one says it would take them 2 days but the other says he could do exactly the same job but in one day, I’d go for the one that can do it in one day.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

The actuals

Post by LaggyBand »

par4mrl wrote:I’m sure if I was running a business and paying someone an 8 hour day and they said to me I’ve done what you asked in 6 hours can I go home....I’d find them more work.......
I’m not saying this is necessarily wrong, but what is more interesting to me is the consequential shift in mindset amongst most posties, and how that will affect the business.

Most posties do not take it easy follow all rules and simply cut off if need be.
Marshamp11
Posts: 437
Joined: 06 Aug 2018, 16:38
Gender: Male

The actuals

Post by Marshamp11 »

number one wrote:
par4mrl wrote:I’m sure if I was running a business and paying someone an 8 hour day and they said to me I’ve done what you asked in 6 hours can I go home....I’d find them more work.......
I’m sure if I wanted some painting doing on my house and got quotes off two painters who charge by the day. If one says it would take them 2 days but the other says he could do exactly the same job but in one day, I’d go for the one that can do it in one day.
Maybe the painter who could do it in 1 day only achieves it by not masking up, covering the furniture and cutting other corners. Faster is not always better.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

The actuals

Post by number one »

Marshamp11 wrote:
number one wrote:
par4mrl wrote:I’m sure if I was running a business and paying someone an 8 hour day and they said to me I’ve done what you asked in 6 hours can I go home....I’d find them more work.......
I’m sure if I wanted some painting doing on my house and got quotes off two painters who charge by the day. If one says it would take them 2 days but the other says he could do exactly the same job but in one day, I’d go for the one that can do it in one day.
Maybe the painter who could do it in 1 day only achieves it by not masking up, covering the furniture and cutting other corners. Faster is not always better.
“Exactly the same job”
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

The actuals

Post by Woody Guthrie »

I’m sure if I wanted some painting doing on my house and got quotes off two painters who charge by the day. If one says it would take them 2 days but the other says he could do exactly the same job but in one day, I’d go for the one that can do it in one day.
So assuming their day rate is the same the faster painter would be doing the same work for half the pay.

So basically your saying that faster posties who finish early should be paid less?
Only dead fish follow the current
Marshamp11
Posts: 437
Joined: 06 Aug 2018, 16:38
Gender: Male

The actuals

Post by Marshamp11 »

number one wrote:
Marshamp11 wrote:
number one wrote:
par4mrl wrote:I’m sure if I was running a business and paying someone an 8 hour day and they said to me I’ve done what you asked in 6 hours can I go home....I’d find them more work.......
I’m sure if I wanted some painting doing on my house and got quotes off two painters who charge by the day. If one says it would take them 2 days but the other says he could do exactly the same job but in one day, I’d go for the one that can do it in one day.
Maybe the painter who could do it in 1 day only achieves it by not masking up, covering the furniture and cutting other corners. Faster is not always better.
“Exactly the same job”
Same job but then you will need to get the 2 day painter in to neaten up the the paint edging and a cleaner to sort out the gloss splashes all over the setter and carpet.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

The actuals

Post by LaggyBand »

Marshamp11 wrote:
number one wrote:
Marshamp11 wrote:
number one wrote:
par4mrl wrote:I’m sure if I was running a business and paying someone an 8 hour day and they said to me I’ve done what you asked in 6 hours can I go home....I’d find them more work.......
I’m sure if I wanted some painting doing on my house and got quotes off two painters who charge by the day. If one says it would take them 2 days but the other says he could do exactly the same job but in one day, I’d go for the one that can do it in one day.
Maybe the painter who could do it in 1 day only achieves it by not masking up, covering the furniture and cutting other corners. Faster is not always better.
“Exactly the same job”
Same job but then you will need to get the 2 day painter in to neaten up the the paint edging and a cleaner to sort out the gloss splashes all over the setter and carpet.
Erm... “exactly the same job”
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

The actuals

Post by Woody Guthrie »

Some people don't understand the difference between day rate and piece work. Even with piece work when you put in a price for a job the biggest driver is labour costs. You can't just throw in two days labour costs and then do it in one day or you'll be called out on it and you can't just charge double the hourly rate of the next guy or you won't get many jobs. People rarely want their trades rushing a job if it isn't any cheaper.

I like number one's idea though, forget about giving the runners extra work just pay them according to their hours. If you want to work 30 hours a week, take home 30 hours pay.
Only dead fish follow the current
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

The actuals

Post by number one »

Woody Guthrie wrote:
I’m sure if I wanted some painting doing on my house and got quotes off two painters who charge by the day. If one says it would take them 2 days but the other says he could do exactly the same job but in one day, I’d go for the one that can do it in one day.
So assuming their day rate is the same the faster painter would be doing the same work for half the pay.

So basically your saying that faster posties who finish early should be paid less?
No, what I’m saying is we should own the workload. You will be paid 8hrs a day for x amount of work. If it takes you 6 or 10 hours you still get paid the 8.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

The actuals

Post by Woody Guthrie »

number one wrote:
Woody Guthrie wrote:
I’m sure if I wanted some painting doing on my house and got quotes off two painters who charge by the day. If one says it would take them 2 days but the other says he could do exactly the same job but in one day, I’d go for the one that can do it in one day.
So assuming their day rate is the same the faster painter would be doing the same work for half the pay.

So basically your saying that faster posties who finish early should be paid less?
No, what I’m saying is we should own the workload. You will be paid 8hrs a day for x amount of work. If it takes you 6 or 10 hours you still get paid the 8.
If I was hiring a painter and he put in 8 hrs labour costs and went home after 6 he wouldn't be getting paid.
You can't mix hourly rate and workload(piece work), it's either one or the other, if it's hourly rate I expect you to work the hours you're billing me for. If it's piece work then it has to be based on some kind of calculation involving how long it will genuinely take. Then you bid then I decide whether it's acceptable.

Nobody pays a painter 8 hours if they only do 6, that's nonsense mate.
One or the other, hourly rate or piece work...you decide.
Last edited by Woody Guthrie on 12 Oct 2018, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
Only dead fish follow the current
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

The actuals

Post by number one »

Woody Guthrie wrote:
number one wrote:
Woody Guthrie wrote:
I’m sure if I wanted some painting doing on my house and got quotes off two painters who charge by the day. If one says it would take them 2 days but the other says he could do exactly the same job but in one day, I’d go for the one that can do it in one day.
So assuming their day rate is the same the faster painter would be doing the same work for half the pay.

So basically your saying that faster posties who finish early should be paid less?
No, what I’m saying is we should own the workload. You will be paid 8hrs a day for x amount of work. If it takes you 6 or 10 hours you still get paid the 8.
If I was hiring a painter and he put in 8 hrs labour costs and went home after 6 he wouldn't be getting paid.
You can't mix hourly rate and workload(piece work, it's either one or the other, if it's hourly rate I expect you to work the hours your billing me for. If it's piece work then it has to be based on some kind of calculation involving how long it will genuinely take. Then you bid then I decide whether it's acceptable.

Nobody pays a painter 8 hours if they only do 6, that's nonsense mate.
One or the other, hourly rate or piece work...you decide.
Ok ok. Painter quotes you 8 hours to paint, you agree. You then see him on his phone all the time and going outside for smoke breaks. He then tells you it’s now going to take him 12 hours. Do you pay?
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

The actuals

Post by Woody Guthrie »

No because I would ask him why he's taking 12 hrs when he quoted me 8 hrs.
Would I pay him 8 hrs if he finished in 6 hrs?
No because I would ask him why he quoted me 8 hrs when it only took 6 hrs.
That's how hourly rate works..

You're thinking about piece work again.
Only dead fish follow the current