Correction! It will probably enter into a deficit in a few years. Whatever, billions is quoted by RM...
Personally, I have never thought that final salary pensions are fair or affordable. An opinion I have had since the 90s.
The gist is that it is not affordable; not on top of many other commitments and our terms and conditions; the best in many industries not just courier industry.
The idea that there is no argument is what I am talking about. People choose to ignore other points and dismiss everything as propaganda.
On the issue of working 9-5, I think that is scare mongering from the Union. A 9-5 re for every postman in delivery will not work; even RM cannot be that stupid. Ergo, they do not need to have delivered letters to know a lot about what we do...
As well as pipeline changes and associated effects, RM is probably looking for shifts in delivery and the last shift might take some posties to 5pm - mainly parcel delivery. They are keen to stop the redundancies of the vans after 2-3pm. Of course, there will be other issues such traffic, longer delivery span, job losses in some parts (delivery doing more sorting), people going from one location to another, stress of posties, more spent on van maintenance and other seen and unforeseen consequences.
However, just to say that we are being moved to a 9-5 job is being g economical with the truth.
The Union and RM are playing games - we do not know everything, so I am on the side of caution; worried about my future rather than just the now.