ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
priority shares
-
bobthepostie
- Posts: 135
- Joined: 24 Mar 2010, 17:41
- Gender: Male
Re: priority shares
One thing that confused me was, how the hell do you actually sell the things? I haven't bought any but if i did i would want to get in and out quick with a small profit but couldn't figure out how i would actually sell them. Anyone enlighten me? 
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16729
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: priority shares
I think you have to have a broker.bobthepostie wrote:One thing that confused me was, how the hell do you actually sell the things? I haven't bought any but if i did i would want to get in and out quick with a small profit but couldn't figure out how i would actually sell them. Anyone enlighten me?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
bobthepostie
- Posts: 135
- Joined: 24 Mar 2010, 17:41
- Gender: Male
Re: priority shares
I said that to the guys in the work and the majority didn't know. One said as its employee shares then all we have to do is call a number and sell them. Would be funny/unfunny (take your pick) if guys were stuck with them.clashcityrocker wrote:I think you have to have a broker.bobthepostie wrote:One thing that confused me was, how the hell do you actually sell the things? I haven't bought any but if i did i would want to get in and out quick with a small profit but couldn't figure out how i would actually sell them. Anyone enlighten me?
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: priority shares
So do you have a crystal ball? You speak as if those negative things are already happening... They might or they might not.BernardBresslaw wrote:That's all very well, but when jobs are slashed, hourly wage brought in line with competitors, benefits abandoned, and our pensions modified, suddenly making a few hundred quid from shares, doesn't seem like that good a deal.chrisj wrote: The better RM does the better we 'might' do.
Or are you suggesting we should put up with those minor inconveniences, just so our stock improves?
Even so. exactly what does buying shares by a postie have to do with the above? If it is going to happen, it will happen. Like I said, it will happen even quicker if the company is not doing well.
The government is not and never going to step in to protect our T&C after 3 years so the best we can do is try and make RM a success. It is your company in more ways than one. Your stock of £2000 is real and if the company continues to do well, you would have had some dividends and perhaps even capital gains in 5 years time. And that will be more than any minor wage increases that we are currently fighting for.
Guys, the company has been PRIVATISED!
There is no reversing the floatation especially when it is well oversubscribed. Even a strike will make no difference because the money will already be in the bag. Yes, share prices go up and down but the real value of the company will not diminish on the basis of initial share prices alone.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Re: priority shares
You could have just gone to the website selling them but you may have to pay capital gains tax. Which you don't if you keep your allocation + priority shares after five years who will be here then?bobthepostie wrote:I said that to the guys in the work and the majority didn't know. One said as its employee shares then all we have to do is call a number and sell them. Would be funny/unfunny (take your pick) if guys were stuck with them.clashcityrocker wrote:I think you have to have a broker.bobthepostie wrote:One thing that confused me was, how the hell do you actually sell the things? I haven't bought any but if i did i would want to get in and out quick with a small profit but couldn't figure out how i would actually sell them. Anyone enlighten me?
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Re: priority shares
chrisj wrote:So do you have a crystal ball? You speak as if those negative things are already happening... They might or they might not.BernardBresslaw wrote:That's all very well, but when jobs are slashed, hourly wage brought in line with competitors, benefits abandoned, and our pensions modified, suddenly making a few hundred quid from shares, doesn't seem like that good a deal.chrisj wrote: The better RM does the better we 'might' do.
Or are you suggesting we should put up with those minor inconveniences, just so our stock improves?
Even so. exactly what does buying shares by a postie have to do with the above? If it is going to happen, it will happen. Like I said, it will happen even quicker if the company is not doing well.
It will make a difference in that I am not a capitalist never will be nor will you just a deluded fool who thinks making RM the best will make him into a venture capitalist and a rich man/woman I pity you.![]()
The government is not and never going to step in to protect our T&C after 3 years so the best we can do is try and make RM a success. It is your company in more ways than one. Your stock of £2000 is real and if the company continues to do well, you would have had some dividends and perhaps even capital gains in 5 years time. And that will be more than any minor wage increases that we are currently fighting for.
Guys, the company has been PRIVATISED!
There is no reversing the floatation especially when it is well oversubscribed. Even a strike will make no difference because the money will already be in the bag. Yes, share prices go up and down but the real value of the company will not diminish on the basis of initial share prices alone.
-
BernardBresslaw
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 24 Nov 2011, 15:52
- Gender: Male
Re: priority shares
The point I am making is one variable has a knock-on effect on the other. As a shareholder and a worker for the company, the only way you are likely to see a decent return is if the company makes vast profits. The only way they can do that is to squeeze the work force. They cannot just bump up prices as they will lose business to the competition.chrisj wrote:So do you have a crystal ball? You speak as if those negative things are already happening... They might or they might not.BernardBresslaw wrote:That's all very well, but when jobs are slashed, hourly wage brought in line with competitors, benefits abandoned, and our pensions modified, suddenly making a few hundred quid from shares, doesn't seem like that good a deal.chrisj wrote: The better RM does the better we 'might' do.
Or are you suggesting we should put up with those minor inconveniences, just so our stock improves?
Even so. exactly what does buying shares by a postie have to do with the above? If it is going to happen, it will happen. Like I said, it will happen even quicker if the company is not doing well.
The government is not and never going to step in to protect our T&C after 3 years so the best we can do is try and make RM a success. It is your company in more ways than one. Your stock of £2000 is real and if the company continues to do well, you would have had some dividends and perhaps even capital gains in 5 years time. And that will be more than any minor wage increases that we are currently fighting for.
Guys, the company has been PRIVATISED!
There is no reversing the floatation especially when it is well oversubscribed. Even a strike will make no difference because the money will already be in the bag. Yes, share prices go up and down but the real value of the company will not diminish on the basis of initial share prices alone.
I'm not suggesting that privatisation can be reversed but some on here seem to have more passion for making a few quid from shares than they do securing their livelihoods. If you honestly believe that our working conditions and pay will not be negatively impacted on, I'm sorry, but you are being naive.
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: priority shares
That's exactly what RM have done with parcels this year, and profits have significantly increased.BernardBresslaw wrote:The point I am making is one variable has a knock-on effect on the other. As a shareholder and a worker for the company, the only way you are likely to see a decent return is if the company makes vast profits. The only way they can do that is to squeeze the work force. They cannot just bump up prices as they will lose business to the competition.chrisj wrote:So do you have a crystal ball? You speak as if those negative things are already happening... They might or they might not.BernardBresslaw wrote:That's all very well, but when jobs are slashed, hourly wage brought in line with competitors, benefits abandoned, and our pensions modified, suddenly making a few hundred quid from shares, doesn't seem like that good a deal.chrisj wrote: The better RM does the better we 'might' do.
Or are you suggesting we should put up with those minor inconveniences, just so our stock improves?
Even so. exactly what does buying shares by a postie have to do with the above? If it is going to happen, it will happen. Like I said, it will happen even quicker if the company is not doing well.
The government is not and never going to step in to protect our T&C after 3 years so the best we can do is try and make RM a success. It is your company in more ways than one. Your stock of £2000 is real and if the company continues to do well, you would have had some dividends and perhaps even capital gains in 5 years time. And that will be more than any minor wage increases that we are currently fighting for.
Guys, the company has been PRIVATISED!
There is no reversing the floatation especially when it is well oversubscribed. Even a strike will make no difference because the money will already be in the bag. Yes, share prices go up and down but the real value of the company will not diminish on the basis of initial share prices alone.
I'm not suggesting that privatisation can be reversed but some on here seem to have more passion for making a few quid from shares than they do securing their livelihoods. If you honestly believe that our working conditions and pay will not be negatively impacted on, I'm sorry, but you are being naive.
As for your last line, it's complete rubbish. RM employees buying shares will make no difference whatsoever to what happens to us in the future. Nobody knows what's going to happen, all I read is constant scaremongering repeated over and over.
As for the morality line, it's quite comical that some are taking the moral high ground over someone buying £500 worth of shares whilst they themselves are happily sticking the free 2 grands worth in their back pocket.
-
chooch
- Posts: 323
- Joined: 21 Jul 2010, 13:14
- Gender: Male
Re: priority shares
try postworker's post here:- http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 32#p593532" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'The Free Shares Con: Don't Fall For It'
'The Free Shares Con: Don't Fall For It'
-
BernardBresslaw
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 24 Nov 2011, 15:52
- Gender: Male
Re: priority shares
Sorry, where have I said I have an issue with people buying shares? All I am pointing out is the conflict of interest that exists. The more the worker on the ground loses, the happier the shareholder. It's pretty basic economics. I'm also convinced that anyone questioning the negative impact on the workforce, after privatisation, has really done no research on the matter whatsoever. Do a basic google search on what has happened to other European nations mail workers, after privatisation.OnAFlyer wrote:That's exactly what RM have done with parcels this year, and profits have significantly increased.BernardBresslaw wrote:The point I am making is one variable has a knock-on effect on the other. As a shareholder and a worker for the company, the only way you are likely to see a decent return is if the company makes vast profits. The only way they can do that is to squeeze the work force. They cannot just bump up prices as they will lose business to the competition.chrisj wrote:So do you have a crystal ball? You speak as if those negative things are already happening... They might or they might not.BernardBresslaw wrote:That's all very well, but when jobs are slashed, hourly wage brought in line with competitors, benefits abandoned, and our pensions modified, suddenly making a few hundred quid from shares, doesn't seem like that good a deal.chrisj wrote: The better RM does the better we 'might' do.
Or are you suggesting we should put up with those minor inconveniences, just so our stock improves?
Even so. exactly what does buying shares by a postie have to do with the above? If it is going to happen, it will happen. Like I said, it will happen even quicker if the company is not doing well.
The government is not and never going to step in to protect our T&C after 3 years so the best we can do is try and make RM a success. It is your company in more ways than one. Your stock of £2000 is real and if the company continues to do well, you would have had some dividends and perhaps even capital gains in 5 years time. And that will be more than any minor wage increases that we are currently fighting for.
Guys, the company has been PRIVATISED!
There is no reversing the floatation especially when it is well oversubscribed. Even a strike will make no difference because the money will already be in the bag. Yes, share prices go up and down but the real value of the company will not diminish on the basis of initial share prices alone.
I'm not suggesting that privatisation can be reversed but some on here seem to have more passion for making a few quid from shares than they do securing their livelihoods. If you honestly believe that our working conditions and pay will not be negatively impacted on, I'm sorry, but you are being naive.
As for your last line, it's complete rubbish. RM employees buying shares will make no difference whatsoever to what happens to us in the future. Nobody knows what's going to happen, all I read is constant scaremongering repeated over and over.
As for the morality line, it's quite comical that some are taking the moral high ground over someone buying £500 worth of shares whilst they themselves are happily sticking the free 2 grands worth in their back pocket.
"People in Holland have to wait for four different companies to deliver post after the country privatised its mail services.
The Netherlands was the first country in the world to sell off its state-owned system in 1989 but it has led to the closure of around 90% of its post offices.
Four competing firms handle the mail so homes and businesses get letters and parcels from men and women in orange uniforms from PostNL, run by multinational company TNT, blue postmen from Sandd, a private firm, yellow staff from Selekt, owned by DHL, and the half-orange postmen of Netwerk VSP, also TNT-run.
To add to the confusion, TNT delivers six days a week, Sandd and Selekt two days a week, and VSP just once. And Dutch post boxes are only emptied once a day.
After Belgium’s government flogged 50% of La Poste in 2006, 30,000 workers went on strike because of job losses and a drive by bosses to replace full-time workers with part-time employees on lower wages.
In Austria, stamp prices soared to 90p after the post was sold to a private firm.
You are living in cloud-cuckoo land if you think it will be any different here.
-
Shambles
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 736
- Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 21:30
- Gender: Female
- Location: Tree house
Re: priority shares
This is probably a silly cynical assumption but won't colleagues buying shares in the company cause problems in the future within the workforce....?
Ie some Joe/Josephine Bloggs has bought shares, say £1000 quid, then somewhere down the line, we the workers and members have a dispute with Our 'new bosses'
Won't those colleagues who have bought shares be more inclined to side with their share holder mates than 'us the workers' who told them to poke it?
Could cause a WORSE working environment with 'large' investor shareholders, who may also be Union Members, ready to stab those of us with Principles in the back, at every opportunity?
Or am I being Cynical....b'cos to me it's a Potential divide and rule scenario!
Ie some Joe/Josephine Bloggs has bought shares, say £1000 quid, then somewhere down the line, we the workers and members have a dispute with Our 'new bosses'
Won't those colleagues who have bought shares be more inclined to side with their share holder mates than 'us the workers' who told them to poke it?
Could cause a WORSE working environment with 'large' investor shareholders, who may also be Union Members, ready to stab those of us with Principles in the back, at every opportunity?
Or am I being Cynical....b'cos to me it's a Potential divide and rule scenario!
I have No Friends,
Or Enemies....
Only Teachers.
Or Enemies....
Only Teachers.
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3622
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: priority shares
The fact is privatisation is happening and Labour is not going to reverse it, this unfortunate fact is going to stay, I never agreed with it but its happening. our main priority is to protect our T&C for as long as we can, which is why I voted YES to a strike and is prepared to walk out.
So yes I have brought some extra shares, I see it as hedging my bets and not putting all my eggs in one basket, I also realise that it could go up or down, I am taking a long term view of this if I am going to be in this job for as long as I can, I may as well try to get as much out of the Bosses as much as I can, having share means they will be working for you, I may as well keep it as part of my future pension plan top up in case our pension doesn't quite live up to expectations or an emergency cash fund that or as something to pass on to my children.
I do mourn the passing of a Publicly owned Royal Mail, I loved the safety net and the security of job, the camaraderie and the banter, I am very sad it has come to this, no amount of gnashing or wailing will stop it, we have been lucky many times until now.
I blame the Way Forward Agreement 2008 which set us on the road to Business Transformation Agreement 2010 both of which I voted against but was out voted by the runners and cutters who sold their souls for an upfront cash bribe which was our money due anyway, the agreement was immediately undermined by middle managements and DOMs causing the whole thing to collapse amid recriminations, now we face the most radical change in the business environment which even Margaret Thatcher backed away from as did John Major.
So yes I have brought some extra shares, I see it as hedging my bets and not putting all my eggs in one basket, I also realise that it could go up or down, I am taking a long term view of this if I am going to be in this job for as long as I can, I may as well try to get as much out of the Bosses as much as I can, having share means they will be working for you, I may as well keep it as part of my future pension plan top up in case our pension doesn't quite live up to expectations or an emergency cash fund that or as something to pass on to my children.
I do mourn the passing of a Publicly owned Royal Mail, I loved the safety net and the security of job, the camaraderie and the banter, I am very sad it has come to this, no amount of gnashing or wailing will stop it, we have been lucky many times until now.
I blame the Way Forward Agreement 2008 which set us on the road to Business Transformation Agreement 2010 both of which I voted against but was out voted by the runners and cutters who sold their souls for an upfront cash bribe which was our money due anyway, the agreement was immediately undermined by middle managements and DOMs causing the whole thing to collapse amid recriminations, now we face the most radical change in the business environment which even Margaret Thatcher backed away from as did John Major.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
Shambles
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 736
- Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 21:30
- Gender: Female
- Location: Tree house
Re: priority shares
Will I, your colleague, union member, who, not having bought any shares, therefore won't have as many shares as you and others, purchasing ' potential' nest eggs etc, be 'encouraged to secure your 'potential' yield, by watching your investment, ie me your colleague, union member, to ensure your investments fruition is plentiful? Isn't that the whole idea of investing.... Making money?
Therefore would there be a potential for those with extra shares to start feeling like the lawd of the manor? Do you see my point.
Therefore would there be a potential for those with extra shares to start feeling like the lawd of the manor? Do you see my point.
I have No Friends,
Or Enemies....
Only Teachers.
Or Enemies....
Only Teachers.
-
RobertT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 6703
- Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Re: priority shares
I know what you’re saying but considering only 368 or about 0.25% of the workforce have have actually told the company to ‘poke it’ with everyone else now being shareholders , personally I can’t see there would be a problem.Shambles wrote:This is probably a silly cynical assumption but won't colleagues buying shares in the company cause problems in the future within the workforce....?
Ie some Joe/Josephine Bloggs has bought shares, say £1000 quid, then somewhere down the line, we the workers and members have a dispute with Our 'new bosses'
Won't those colleagues who have bought shares be more inclined to side with their share holder mates than 'us the workers' who told them to poke it?
Could cause a WORSE working environment with 'large' investor shareholders, who may also be Union Members, ready to stab those of us with Principles in the back, at every opportunity?
Or am I being Cynical....b'cos to me it's a Potential divide and rule scenario!
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
-
RobertT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 6703
- Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Re: priority shares
If you remember a few years ago there are a spate of football clubs that floated on the stock market and a lot of fans bought shares because they wanted to own a little piece of their club and I think there is an element of that with RM too. Part of it for me is to have a bit more control over what I do with my shares instead of being dictated to and told I have to wait at least 3 years to sell them. Although I’m fairly open minded as to how long I will keep them.Shambles wrote:Will I, your colleague, union member, who, not having bought any shares, therefore won't have as many shares as you and others, purchasing ' potential' nest eggs etc, be 'encouraged to secure your 'potential' yield, by watching your investment, ie me your colleague, union member, to ensure your investments fruition is plentiful? Isn't that the whole idea of investing.... Making money?
Therefore would there be a potential for those with extra shares to start feeling like the lawd of the manor? Do you see my point.
There seems to be a misconception on here that everyone who buys shares wants the company to be privatised and wants to benefit from their colleagues loss of t&c’s. No, we are just trying to make the most of a bad lot and using our own hard earned money to try and achieve that.
And for the record I like voted yes in the ballot and will strike if it comes to it.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here