ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

I think I'm done.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
catch22
Posts: 196
Joined: 22 Sep 2012, 21:12
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by catch22 »

Jono wrote:Go sick for the rest of the week and let the manager deliver the so called "piece of p*ss" walk ...he might find it difficult negotiating a bundle of letters and a coffee cup in the same hand while his other hand's planted firmly in his pocket... :d'oh!

Good luck for the future :wave

good idea!
twobags
Posts: 299
Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 18:49
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by twobags »

catch22 wrote:
Jono wrote:Go sick for the rest of the week and let the manager deliver the so called "piece of p*ss" walk ...he might find it difficult negotiating a bundle of letters and a coffee cup in the same hand while his other hand's planted firmly in his pocket... :d'oh!

Good luck for the future :wave

good idea!
i second that :whistle
TheCobra
Posts: 249
Joined: 31 Dec 2011, 09:58
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by TheCobra »

Yep, so long as you don't need the money desperately, you may as well just sod them and go sick for rest of the week. f**k them.
tiggle
Posts: 135
Joined: 19 Feb 2010, 20:44
Gender: Female

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by tiggle »

spoodoo wrote:Our new starts have no idea of putting in overtime,meal breaks etc it's shocking some are scared to put in any overtime ,and most come in hours before there time because of pressure they feel.
new starters? we have people who come in early ,don't take breaks,prep their households in their own time and don;t claim extended and these idiots for want of a better word have usually worked at the job for years and have the "I do what suits me and its got nowt to do with you"
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by Lincox »

You are right tiggle. The only explanation I can think of is that they are under some crazy illusion that when RM start chopping jobs they think that they will be at the back of the queue.
chooch
Posts: 323
Joined: 21 Jul 2010, 13:14
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by chooch »

Lincox wrote:You are right tiggle. The only explanation I can think of is that they are under some crazy illusion that when RM start chopping jobs they think that they will be at the back of the queue.
I laughed.. (b*st*rd, b*st*rd, b*st*rd. Not you Lincox, the whole soddin' toxic environment that means doing your job properly, not 'to-rule' but properly, counts for sweet FA )
Thixty
Posts: 40
Joined: 22 Feb 2011, 22:13
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by Thixty »

thefemalepostie wrote:I have been with the wonderful :left: Royal Mail for six weeks now and to be honest I have never known such a life draining, depressing and unprofessional place to work.

The posties on the whole have been wonderful and helpful whenever I have asked a question no matter how stupid it was. But management take things to a whole new level that I never thought I would see in this day and age. I am treated appallingly by them and if I dare to ask a question on how to do something (that I have never been told how to do) I am treated like a leper!

I slipped yesterday when out on delivery, muddled through the rest of the walk, with a jarred back and hip and saw the emergency dr late afternoon (drop in centre) who asked how it happened. I explained what had happened (slipped on someone's marble front door step whilst delivering), and he said I hope you have put it in the accident book at work. I had to admit that no I hadn't as no one has told me any procedures about this and I assumed it was my own fault for not being more careful when it was raining. This was my first time on this walk so didn't have a clue about this step before hand. I have been diagnosed with pulled muscles, so deep heat and ibuprofen will get me through it within the next few days hopefully. Surely for a new starter things like reporting accidents in the accident book should be pointed out on your first day.

I dread going into work most days as the hostile atmosphere makes it an unbearable place to work. I do not sleep well unless it is my day off the next day. What price is my life worth? The money is good-ish compared to other part time jobs, but what good is the money when you have no life other than the constant dread of going into this place.

New starters are treated like 4th class workers, we are thrown in at the deep end and it really is sink or swim with equal amounts of bullying thrown in for good measure.

My family have this weekend told me that since I started at RM I am a different person (and not in a good way). They want me to leave as soon as possible as they do not like the person I am becoming. My kids mean the world to me, and even they have said your not the fun bubbly mum you were before. All you do is sleep and work now. This broke my heart this weekend.

I feel a failure that I couldn't make it work, but the managers have drained the good out of me and left me a shell of what I used to be. I have been offered another job by a neighbour. It's less hours and less money, but is school hours and won't be pressured to work over, or told that I am slow (give me a break I have only been there 6 weeks!!). What price is a quality of life eh? Things will be tight, but at least I will do right by my family and you can't get their childhoods back!

Sorry to ramble on, but needed to share how I felt with people who understand what RM does to people. My resignation will be going in tomorrow morning.

one for the "independent" courier magazine letters page
fru_T_bunn
Posts: 11
Joined: 18 Aug 2012, 13:59
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by fru_T_bunn »

Having read through this entire thread it makes it very difficult to believe that we are meant to be a 'unionised industry'........... :hmmmm
thefemalepostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 150
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:00
Gender: Female

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by thefemalepostie »

Well I'm out and now ex Royal Mail as of today.

I will miss my fellow workers, on the whole they were a good laugh.

I won't miss the bullying scum who think they are god!
protect us
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 167
Joined: 12 Oct 2007, 23:27

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by protect us »

Well I wish you well and I know it'd the right move - iv been out now 5 months and don't regret it other than they have got away with so much ! But I hope one day they will all get the comeuppance that is so over due !
There is NO place in any workplace the behavior that's going on and I can't understand how they get away with it - nor the fact that the union support is not anywhere close to how it was ! But I don't care now ....I am OUT !
Good luck , keep ya chin up - I know and trust me I REALLY know how it don't make sense to leave a job in this difficult enviroment to get another job (and people think how stupid etc ) but ignore remarks - they would prob never have the guts or determination to have been a postie in the first place !!!! :-)
thefemalepostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 150
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:00
Gender: Female

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by thefemalepostie »

Another update to this.

I have a job interview next week for a fantastic job which the hours are perfect and term time only!!! I'm keeping everything crossed that this will come off.

I am working in my neighbours business for a temp solution. They know its only until I find a more suitable job so it's a win win for this at the moment.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by Barbel »

I'm a newbie and also have no idea about putting in for meal breaks. In fact I don't even know if I'm entitled to one as I've been starting at 8 and on some days finishing as early as 11.30 due to having 1 or maybe 2 people helping me. I do feel you're thrown in at the deep end a bit and things aren't explained properly. You get a feeling of being rushed because people want to knock off early and you feel under pressure to rush things. Even batching up is a nightmare as I'm still not totally familiar with the numbering order of certain streets on my loops, and again it's all rushed and not explained properly because people want to get out as quickly as possible. I don't blame them but you get the feeling they hate having to pair up with newbies because we slow them down. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the job so far but It will take longer to get the hang of it if things aren't explained properly. Does anyone know how much training newbies should be getting?
Lazycarton
Posts: 193
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:52
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by Lazycarton »

If you are on a 5 day 6 hour contract 8am - 2pm, you are entitled to a 30 min break. You can take this before you go out, or finish 30 mins early (at least that is what I have been doing with the DOM's agreement.

If you feel you are being rushed and not being given the opportunity to learn properly then you have to speak up. Is there a designated trainer at your depot? Are you being trained by him/her?

I will not be hassled into doing things that I don't fully understand aas it just leads to unhappiness and frustration.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by Barbel »

Lazycarton wrote:If you are on a 5 day 6 hour contract 8am - 2pm, you are entitled to a 30 min break. You can take this before you go out, or finish 30 mins early (at least that is what I have been doing with the DOM's agreement.

If you feel you are being rushed and not being given the opportunity to learn properly then you have to speak up. Is there a designated trainer at your depot? Are you being trained by him/her?

I will not be hassled into doing things that I don't fully understand aas it just leads to unhappiness and frustration.
Thanks Lazycarton, I don't know about a designated trainer, but I've been shown by 2 different guys on different days who both do things differently so it gets a bit confusing. It probably would be better if I'm left on my own to get on with it all and if it takes all day then so be it. The only problem with that though is I need a driver to drop me at my loops so unless I take my own car he'll be waiting forever. :whistle
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by krussel »

Barbel wrote: I take my own car
Do yourself a BIG favour and do not use your car. Its a total mugs game :neutral:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........